Bug Zappers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do any of you have bug zappers? Indoor or outdoor zappers?

Colorado is a pretty dry state, and we don't see bugs much like you see in other states. But we have had a wet year and I have seen more than the normal couple of mosquitoes that I see in the summer. I'm not seeing a lot, but I am seeing more. We also have flies, gnats, moths and fruit flies in the house. I do have flying insect spray, but prefer not to use it if possible.

I was at a house warming party earlier this summer and they had a bug zapper on their kitchen counter that looked similar to my modem. I had never seen an indoor bug zapper before. When I lived in North Dakota, people had big bug zappers because they had so many mosquitoes that the city sprayed for them in the evenings.

I've ordered a bug zapper for myself, but it hasn't arrived yet. The flies at the dog parks have been crazy this summer and I have considered ordering a small bug zapper that I could take with me to keep me from swatting at flies the whole time I'm there.

Do any of you have bug zappers? Indoor or outdoor zappers?

Colorado is a pretty dry state, and we don't see bugs much like you see in other states. But we have had a wet year and I have seen more than the normal couple of mosquitoes that I see in the summer. I'm not seeing a lot, but I am seeing more. We also have flies, gnats, moths and fruit flies in the house. I do have flying insect spray, but prefer not to use it if possible.

I was at a house warming party earlier this summer and they had a bug zapper on their kitchen counter that looked similar to my modem. I had never seen an indoor bug zapper before. When I lived in North Dakota, people had big bug zappers because they had so many mosquitoes that the city sprayed for them in the evenings.

I've ordered a bug zapper for myself, but it hasn't arrived yet. The flies at the dog parks have been crazy this summer and I have considered ordering a small bug zapper that I could take with me to keep me from swatting at flies the whole time I'm there.
We needed a bug zapper real bad when we were in Bama.
Enough so that I designed and prototyped a solar bug zapper for the back yard.
If you read the instructions, they say to place them 25' away from people to draw the bugs away and I didn't want any cord :mad:.
I tested it for 2 years and made a few improvements. It was fully autonomous.
It worked so well, I couldn't bring myself to take it down to write it up for a patent.
It was still standing guard when we sold the place and moved down here, it stayed.:(

We needed a bug zapper real bad when we were in Bama.
Enough so that I designed and prototyped a solar bug zapper for the back yard.
If you read the instructions, they say to place them 25' away from people to draw the bugs away and I didn't want any cord :mad:.
I tested it for 2 years and made a few improvements. It was fully autonomous.
It worked so well, I couldn't bring myself to take it down to write it up for a patent.
It was still standing guard when we sold the place and moved down here, it stayed.:(
It used the Flowtron Zapper that has long been the king of zappers:
51b9g4bVXvL._AC_.jpg

(you will have to dump the dead bodies out of it every 2 weeks though :))
Edit: The workhorse in action:

Oh, and it's made in the U.S.A.

Last edited:
It used the Flowtron Zapper that has long been the king of zappers:
51b9g4bVXvL._AC_.jpg
I had one similar to this that I used inside. I just sat it on the dining room table. Put a newspaper or something else down under it or the bugs a b... bear to clean off the table. It worked well outside as well. For outside I preferred the Mosquito Magnet. It uses both electricity and propane. The propane generates CO2 to attract the female mosquitos. I've had over a cup of dead mosquitos in the morning.

(you will have to dump the dead bodies out of it every 2 weeks though :))

I bought a small bug zapper for our RV.
It's rechargeable with a USB.
Not a lot of use for it yet.
Not many skitters and I use a fly swatter for the flies.
My niece has one and she says it works well.
$13.99 on Amazon.
Amazon.com
This looks like a great one for me to take to dog parks. I just ordered one. Lightweight and inexpensive. I understand about the distance between where you put them and where you are, and I can do this, even at dog parks. I can hang it along the fence line a ways from me. The flies are such a pain this summer. I will report how well it works for them.

I bought a small bug zapper for our RV.
It's rechargeable with a USB.
Not a lot of use for it yet.
Not many skitters and I use a fly swatter for the flies.
My niece has one and she says it works well.
$13.99 on Amazon.
Amazon.com
I have one similar that also has a three position light on it. Great for tent camping in a small tent. There always seems to be a few mosquitoes that get in at night.

My son has fly traps at his house because the flies are really bad this year.
I was sitting on his deck and asked him if something had died in the woods behind his house.
Nope, it's the fly trap and it works really good.
I'm going to buy a couple but I will hang them away from the house and down wind.
11697_L_vvs_000.jpg

We don't have any. It can get pretty buggy here in the evenings, but we seldom go out at that time. Mosquitoes love me. My cross to bear. I have to lather up with big spray, and I still get eaten alive.

I don't hate Winter as much as I used to, but one of Winter's advantages was no bugs.

Bugs avoid me like the plague except for roaches. they think I'm yummy for some reason, but then again, I've seen them bore into habanero peppers too.

I have been hearing about these. I might get one of them as well.

I received the ones I ordered that are for indoors yesterday. One is in the kitchen, the other in my bedroom. For the first time in a while, I didn't hear any gnats when I was in bed. The outdoor one came today. I need to charge it and then see how well it works at the dog parks.

Latest posts

Back