1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

Build Your Own Tesla Radio

Discussion in 'Communications & Tech' started by Sentry18, Nov 30, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 30, 2019 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

https://misanthrope.today/2019/11/27/build-your-own-tesla-radio/

Here is an example of a homemade Tesla radio:

tesla-radio.jpg

Bacpacker, bkt and Supervisor42 like this.
  2. Nov 30, 2019 #2

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42 Neighbor

An electronic version of an Ouija board!
    I know I have all the parts to build one.
    It's just too easy to listen to videos of others.:rolleyes:
    I remember the crystal radio I built as a kid.
    Listened to it hours a night for years.
    Hook it to the ground wire to the roof TV antenna and listen to WWL radio out of New Orleans clear as a bell in mid Ala:).
    They still work, as long as AM is on the air.
    No batteries:D.
    Edit: And since I can't remember people's name 5- minutes after I meet them; I CAN remember the radio kit costs $1.19 in the ad section of Popular Science magazine. We got a shiny dime and a shiny quarter every day for lunch-money, lunch cost 35¢. I'd wake-up at 5:AM before my mom and make a sandwich, wrap it in wax-paper and stick it in my pocket. I squirreled the coins away and mailed 'em off. Assembling it was a breeze. I had tunes from then on:D.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  3. Dec 3, 2019 #3

viking

viking

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few Neighbor HCL Supporter

The biggest problem in having a crystal radio is getting a hold of the proper head phones, they need to be 2,000 ohms, otherwise they won't be loud enough to hear. I had a few friends when I was young that had old factory made crystal radios, probably build in the 20's and 30's, that had really great reception and were amazingly loud. I imagine that finding anything like that now days would be pretty hard. I've built a few crystal radios using a 1N34 crystal diode, the old factory crystal radios had a galena crystal stuck in a holder with a whisker spring next to it to probe for a hot spot on the crystal that made it possible to pick up radio signals, sometimes old shaving razor blades were used with a whisker to find a hot spot for picking up radio signals. What those hot spots were are just a place on the crystal that works like a semi-conductor, only passing current one direction, that's what the 1N34 crystal diode would do. When I had radio as a hobby in my teen years, it was all with tubes and the tubes that did the work like crystals do was diode tubes, when the transistor age came, that work was done by very small diodes, not unlike the 1N34 diode that I used as a youngster.

4. Dec 3, 2019 #4

Cnsper

Cnsper

Cnsper

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I thought Teslas came with a radio...:p

Sentry18 and Weedygarden like this.
  5. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:42 PM #5

viking

viking

viking

Actually, Nicola Tesla won a court case that made him the legal inventor of the radio, over Marconi. He was an amazing inventor, he gave us the electric system we all use today, Edison would have had us on DC. Someone just told me the other day that Seattle had just gotten rid of their last DC system that powered a building, I remember my dad telling me that a number of buildings in Seattle ran on DC at one time. Tesla invented motors, generators and lights, I think the fluorescent lights were invented by him. He worked for Westinghouse and developed the polyphase electrical system that allowed for electricity to travel over great distances. Edison on the other had was pushing for all current to be DC, DC can only travel short distances without having too much voltage drop. In the end J.P. Morgan defunded Tesla because Tesla was developing a free system of sending electricity to people over the air rather than with wires. The first radios used spark discharge transmitting, I think that an older movie about the Titanic showed those transmitters working. I imagine that those transmitters splashed noise clear across the radio band and that didn't get better until vacuum tubes were invented and they began to use crystal controlled frequencies.

Bacpacker likes this.
  6. Dec 9, 2019 at 6:00 PM #6

viking

viking

viking

Since I got off talking about Tesla, I thought I'd add another amazing inventor, Philo Taylor Farnsworth, the true inventor of the television video camera tube as well as the all electronic television system, invented in 1927, he first started inventing this system when he was a farm boy teenager in school. Look the story up, it's amazing how he figured it all out, the Smithsonian site covers it pretty well.

Bacpacker likes this.