Building a small log cabin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is how I did it with one exception. I drove in nails every 3" both top and bottom of the seam to be chinked and then strung wire across the nails. The chinking stayed in place for 45 years until the new wealthy owners burned it to the ground to build their 2.5 million dollar house.
I don't know if the photo shows but I cut strips of expanded metal and nailed them into the cracks with big headed nails. The expanded metal is like a screen.

The boards for the roof were cut from logs from my place. Not sure if I mentioned but a big wind knocked down a bunch of trees. Some of them were decent size so the first 8 feet I used as a saw log. The tops then for the walls.

The boards for the roof were cut from logs from my place. Not sure if I mentioned but a big wind knocked down a bunch of trees. Some of them were decent size so the first 8 feet I used as a saw log. The tops then for the walls.
That is excellent!

I have to skirt the limits of the local building code. But there is no guidelines about spring houses and root cellars.

Ben

This photo is after I had sold the place and they were using my woodshed as a 4-wheeler garage. I hand split the shakes from Western Larch or what we call Tamarack. I could stack several cords of split fire wood in here and it was wood for my cookstove/ hot water system. The roof beams were slab cuts from my main cabin lumber. I built it all myself from falling the trees to driving the final nail in the center ridge shake.

New Image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back