Burger trimming

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've noticed the different ways my family , and friends trim out a hamburger.

My favorite way to decorate an otherwise dull hamburger...fresh off the grill.
Is mustard , onion, tomatoes, beef patty, and tomatoes . No pickle , no lettuce.

Sliced thick of course.
burger-clipart-plain-hamburger-3.jpg

Just curious ...

Jim

I like any trimming I can get.
As a child, I avoided tomato in any form, including ketchup, but no longer. I have noticed that some people are very particular about what they eat and won't eat, and have seen people be really upset if they end up with a pickle on their burger. For me now, the more things, the merrier. I love raw onion especially on a burger. Sometimes I end up with a burger with mayonnaise, a Southern thing I think. Is that from Steak and Shake? It is okay and an interesting change of pace.

For me, it is about the burger more than anything. I have several family members who raise or raised beef, so I am a beef lover. Some burger is so much better than others. I rarely have a burger from Mickey Dees, but when I do, the meat itself is lacking, somehow. Maybe it has to do with other things that have been added. BIL in North Dakota used to raise beef and his cattle were sometimes purchased by McDonalds. The beef that came out of his freezer that he had raised, versus what we got at McDonalds was so different. His was absolutely delicious. I like the flavor of the browned outside of any burger. That is missing from many burgers from restaurants. It almost seems as though the meat has been steamed or cooked in water somehow. It may have to do with the water that has been added to it.

Since we don't eat beef, we grill large portabella mushroom caps that we first marinate in soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. I top if with everything you listed including the pickle chips and lettuce.

I haven't been to a What-A-Burger in a long time, but I seem to remember that I had a choice of a Mustard What-A-Burger or a Mayo What-A-Bruger.

Last edited:
Mayo and onion on a toasted bun. Tomato only if it comes out of my garden.
Pickle on the side. Maybe a slice of provolone cheese.
At the hospital, they would cook their burger on the griddle then put them in a pan of au jus on the back of the griddle and when you ordered one they slapped it on the grill dry it off, and heat up. Not a good burger. I ordered 1 in the 10 years I worked there.
Hamburgers are all about the meat and how it's cooked.

Applebee’s has a good classic burger (they have another one that has bacon in the meat and if I get bacon I want it crispy and placed ON the meat, not in it). It’s hand pressed and get all my burgers with lettuce and pickles only. Sometimes cheese, and I dip into ketchup. Don’t like any sauce getting the bun soggy. Raw onion is ok, too. Oh, and mustard is only for hotdogs! 😉

Going to grill burgers tonight and will make large ‘hamburger steaks’ with onion flakes mixed in the meat. Dipped in ketchup, of course!

We have friends who raved about In &Out burgers. They were only in California for the longest time. We went to California to visit our son. Perfect time to try a burger. It was not good. They are in Texas now. We gave them a second chance. Yucko

How many of you have had the pleasure of eating at In N Out?

View attachment 60909
You know I'm a fan. When working in your neck of the woods, I stay at the Ontario Airport Best Western and eat at the In n Out that's just north up the street by I-10.

Here in Iowa we have our own homegrown version of In n Out. It's called B-Bop's. It's almost as good. Their fries are actually much better. But In n Out has something in their mayo sauce that's just perfect and tops all competitors.

Culver's is just below the other two. The burgers are good, but when you go to Culver's you're going for the Concrete Mixers. That's the best frozen treat on Earth. DQ can't even come close to that.

As for the original question, when I make a burger, it's at least 1/4 pound, usually more, with two slices of cheese, a little ketchup, a lot of mustard, and a 100% whole wheat bun. I mostly gave up potatoes, but if I really want to do burgers right, I'll throw some has brown medallions in the deep fryer to eat with them.

How about the trimmings on this spectacular burger? It's called the Emmanecker Challenge, from Jethro's BBQ in Des Moines, Iowa.
Screenshot_20210313-162251.png

That's a burger patty, turkey, chicken, pork, and BBQ brisket, all on one bun. If you can clear that plate in 15 minutes you get your name on a plaque in the restaurant. A little bitty woman from Omaha set the record, just over 3 minutes. I couldn't eat that much in a day...

How many of you have had the pleasure of eating at In N Out?

View attachment 60909
Once, in Tucson. It was a memorable burger with cheese and bacon and all the trimmings. There are a few new restaurants in Colorado, but when I went before Christmas, they had a parking lot with lines of cars waiting in the cue. It was around an hours wait. I didn't wait. Later, I found out that the restaurant had many cases of COVID, so it worked out for me.

How about the trimmings on this spectacular burger? It's called the Emmanecker Challenge, from Jethro's BBQ in Des Moines, Iowa. View attachment 60912
That's a burger patty, turkey, chicken, pork, and BBQ brisket, all on one bun. If you can clear that plate in 15 minutes you get your name on a plaque in the restaurant. A little bitty woman from Omaha set the record, just over 3 minutes. I couldn't eat that much in a day...
Not sure i could 15 minutes, but I'd love to try one of those.

There is a burger place close by called Miners. They have been there since 1948 in the same building.
The burgers are about 8" across and they are fully loaded with all the veggies including a whole tomato and lots of Walla Walla sweet onion.
Their regular order of fries will feed a family of 4 easily.
My wife and I split one burger and fries. With 2 drinks it cost around $20 but it's worth it.

I agree that what makes a great burger begins before it hits the bun. I only use lump or natural charcoal, never that kingsford crap thats made from soft coal and petroleum products. In fact, I used to make my own charcoal.

Edit to add: 80/20 ground chuck is my preference... any more fat and shrinkage is an issue, any less fat and it might as well be called a Sahara Burger, bone dry for 1500 miles.

Then I always smoke them with pecan wood as soon as they go on the grill. It only takes about 2 minutes of heavy smoke to impart good flavor. I flip them at 2 minutes, ready after 2 more minutes. This gives me a medium to medium rare burger with a nice crust, depending on how hot the coals are.

Afterwards a toasted bun, onion, sometimes lettuce but not much, sometimes cheese, never tomato. Condiments… mayo on the bottom bun, mayo prevents the bottom bun from soaking up the burger juices. It’ll stay together as you eat and not be soggy. A little ketchup on the top bun, then pickles on the side.

I've had a few great burgers at burger joints... always locally owned, hole in the wall places... The best one was at a mom & pop place 1 block west from Anderson Hospital in Houston, don't remember the name, ate there every other day for 3 months... fantastic burger.

@havasu thanks for the reminder... the best chain burger I ever had was at In-N-Out Burger. Haven't had one since the 90's, they were great back then.

Where I live now... I make a better burger than I can buy in my area... I eat burgers at home for that reason.

Burgers n Dogs ( 7).jpg

Last edited:
At home I like BBQ sauce under the burger and then cheese on top - and then coleslaw on top of the cheese. My burgers are made from game meats rather than beef.

When I eat out, I like to try the different combinations burger joints come up with - I guess I will never get to try every possible combo, but it is worth giving it a try.

I'm with you, Peanut. I can make a better burger at home. Store bought would be 80/20 also, but I'll also use local fresh kill.
If I'm in the bigger town and we're getting a burger, I like the burgers at Braums. They are really good. Just right. We don't get a burger often in our little town where our granddaughter works, because I usually feel really gross afterwards. They over season their burgers with a salty seasoning mix, and put grilled onions on everything. I only go for their soft serve sundaes.

I guess I have a much simpler palate. Thousand Island dressing and cheese. No garnish. If I wanted a salad I would have ordered a salad. I don't want one on top of my burger. If I am in a restaurant I may sub the Thousand Island for Blu Cheese and Swiss. Still no garnish.

I typically don't eat burgers anywhere but home. Commercial burgers only have to be 80% beef product to be labeled "All Beef" which is messed up. I used to make a couple extra patties if I was going to be on a tractor at lunch - I would just sprinkle them with garlic salt and eat them cold. When I make them at home, I put a good cheese on them and make them a good inch thick then eat it like a steak or other meat with sides of veggies. Hubby has to have tomato, pickle, and pepperoncini with his. Other things like onions or sautéed mushrooms etc. are bonuses to him but not necessities. We seldom eat breads/buns.

Deer burgers are better than Beef.
I like mushrooms,onions, lettice,tomatoes,mayo on top.
Burger with spice mustard on bottom.
Fries on the side. If I am out I like Five Guys.

I typically don't eat burgers anywhere but home. Commercial burgers only have to be 80% beef product to be labeled "All Beef" which is messed up.
Isn't that interesting, all beef, but only 80% beef. No wonder I don't care for many burgers. I wonder what it is exactly that they do add with the 20%. I would not be surprised if there isn't a bunch of soy in that, something I avoid like the plague. No wonder so many burgers do not have that tasty brown edging that is so tasty.

I enjoy a good burger and have so many good ones I can't decide what was my favorite. Two burgers that were memorable were;

1)
McDonalds ! In Spain. The meat in Spain must have to adhere to different standards.

2)
I got to the hotel in Jerusalem after a 13 hour flight and could not stomach the airline food. I was tiredand hungry and the concierge recomended a place that delivered called "Mega Meat" that would make a hamburger any size desired. Being a little lightheaded I screwed up converting from English to metric units. They delivered a burger 1.5 inches thick and 8 inches in diameter.

I like McDonalds fixings on their burgers and no cheese.

All other burgers are ketchup with a dab of brown mustard with onions, pickles on the side.

I prefer onion rings if available otherwise fries.

Ben

If I recall, McD's was one of the major supporters that pushed for the 80% thing though looking just now, they claim 100% beef.
I did find this article rather quickly so am sure there are others similar (& am sure more proving and disproving etc.)
Fast Food Ingredients

PS- Last I read a chicken nugget has more soy than chicken.

If I recall, McD's was one of the major supporters that pushed for the 80% thing though looking just now, they claim 100% beef.
I did find this article rather quickly so am sure there are others similar (& am sure more proving and disproving etc.)
Fast Food Ingredients

PS- Last I read a chicken nugget has more soy than chicken.
I read that the chicken in nuggets at McD's is glued together with something, probably soy. I would never eat one.

Latest posts

Back