Buying Freeze Dried food for regular use?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do any of you buy the freeze dried food for daily use? Rather than buy the same at the grocery store?

I have some of the freeze dried boxes of pouches from My Patriot Supply. Right now I have the maple oatmeal, and freeze dried banana slices, blueberries and strawberries. I just use how much oatmeal I feel like, put in some of one or more of the freeze dried fruit and add hot water. And a touch of butter. It's really good.

And I have freeze dried corn and mashed potatoes. I've done the corn and really like it. I've not use the mashed potatoes yet. And I have some broccoli pouches and green been pouches coming. They are zip sealed, and easy for one person not to have left overs like opening a can. And they don't go bad if I don't eat them quickly enough such as fresh food does.

So, I'm doing it for convenience, but also, my body and taste buds will know and accept them if something drastic should happen.

Do you do anything like this. Home made or purchased?

I eat freeze dried food every few weeks or so........mostly Mountain House.

I like them when I go lightweight camping and hunting.

I also eat them to try out new menus and just because it is always a good idea to ensure your digestive system is well adapted to what you store.

Most of the time, I eat fresh foods......but anyone who stores LTS foods needs to ensure they are not "just for emergencies".

Many people either:
1) Never eat their LTS foods
2) Say you should eat what you store, and store what you eat (which stops working when you have more than a year or so of food stored)

.......but like most things in prepping, the best option is to find some practical middle ground between those two extremes.

What are the ingredients on one item?
i do know, if you eat alot of fd food, you want to drink a bit more, unless you are adding wet to each item.

I soak them in hot water for a bit before using so they rehydrate. The ingredient in the corn pakage is " Corn" nothing else.
I'll have to post about the maple syrup oatmeal soon.

Freeze drying can give you long shelf life for foods. The shelf life will vary - fruits don't last as long. But one problem you may run into is that you need a good source of clean water to rehydrate the stuff. You may not have that in the post-apocalypse. What water you can manage to get and boil or otherwise decontaminate you may prefer to drink, not add to your freeze dried food. Another problem is cost. You're going to spend a ton of money stockpiling freeze dried food in large quantities.

I think freeze dried stuff is part of what you would want to store for survival. But not the only thing.

The original question was about day to day consumption of freeze dried stuff. I don't see any problem with that. It supposedly maintains good nutritional value. Clean water to rehydrate it with is common for most of us, pre-apocalypse that is. Expense would be my biggest concern for day to day use. Unless your situation calls for very long shelf life or ultra light weight, I think there are probably more practical things for everyday use than freeze dried.

We have used some freeze dries foods more as a novelty than as part of a regular diet. Not that there is anything complicated, but we tried preparing them using the package recommendations just to make sure everything worked, and to see how they taste. I didn't want to stockpile a bunch of stuff that nobody would eat, or tasted disgusting. We have Mountain House, Wise Foods, and Augason Farms in long term storage.

I have four rotisery chickens in my medium freeze drier right now. Will I eat the results now Nope, i can still buy the fresh rotisery chicken for $4.99 each right now so i will consume the fresh now and save the freeze dried for the time it is the only thing available. The chicken probably has salt and other extras in it but it will mainly be used for seasoning and some protien with our beans or white rice.
I also do Beef in the freeze drier and it will also be saved for when it is needed. No salt or seasoning is used with it so it will be some basic healthy food.
I usually have some freeze dried cherry tomatoes around to munch on and even if they get a little chewy after being open they are still good.

As far as needing water to reconstitute the FD food I will need to have water around anyway just to stay hydrated and drinking the fluid from canned goods isn't my first choice.
I sure like having my own freeze drier.......

we eat as much fresh food as possible.
freeze dried and dehydrated food pouches are for emergency and camping use.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back