Cajun Culture

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked temporarily in New Orleans for Georgia Pacific for 8 weeks about 30 years ago.
They are a different breed for sure.

I moved to that area when I retired out of the military, A wonderful four years where I fell in love with everything about the culture. The cooking, the rural lifestyle, the ability to argue yet still be best friends, being full of life, etc. But I missed the mountains and they were out of stock in that item, so north I went!

I can tell you that that culture is still alive and well in the heart of the bayou.

Can you catch your own crayfish in your area? We have a lot crayfish out here.
Yes we can. Oh funny story when oldest DIL started coming to our house. She was not from the area and saw all these mounds thinking that is was actually dog turds piled high in the yard. Woundered why we didn't clean up after our dogs.

Yes we can. Oh funny story when oldest DIL started coming to our house. She was not from the area and saw all these mounds thinking that is was actually dog turds piled high in the yard. Woundered why we didn't clean up after our dogs.
You have crayfish living in your yard? Lucky you. Our crayfish all live in the water.

looks just like this picture @Supervisor42 posted.
1710637174573.png

Thank you!
I too will respectfully disagree that Cajun culture is 'fading', it is alive and well.
Kids are still being taught how to decipher what grandma is saying in French and reply in kind.
Go to any big nightclub in Lafayette and 90% of the music you dance to, will be in French.
The other obvious thing is, there is no discrimination. The original Cajuns crossbred with all the other races down here, so everybody is 'mixed-race'.
Of course, since I am a recent invader, if they can tell you are an outsider by your lack of accent, they will joke about you to each other in French.:lil loser:

I too will respectfully disagree that Cajun culture is 'fading', it is alive and well.
Kids are still being taught how to decipher what grandma is saying in French and reply in kind.
Go to any big nightclub in Lafayette and 90% of the music you dance to, will be in French.
The other obvious thing is, there is no discrimination. The original Cajuns crossbred with all the other races down here, so everybody is 'mixed-race'.
Of course, since I am a recent invader, if they can tell you are an outsider by your lack of accent, they will joke about you to each other in French.:lil loser:
I have always been interested in other cultures, whether it is Native American, Asian, African, European, Hispanic. When I went to college, anyone who was from another culture was someone I would talk to, befriend, ask lots of questions about their lives.

Watching the first video I posted and hearing the language was interesting to me. I learned some things I didn't know.

Latest posts

Back