California/LA may get washed clean, or away.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like watching Weatherman Pkus, he is fairly accurate in his forcasts and doesn’t get overly dramatic.
That being said, he is suggesting LA may get 10 to 15 inches of rain over the next few days and there is a potential for (close to) hurricane force winds.

DARN! I wonder of the weight of all that rain water is going to cause earthquakes.

Rain yes, hurricane force winds. Very doubtful.
Keep us updated in the weather thread about how much fun you have.
We're junkies for that stuff, ya' know🤪.

Rain yes, hurricane force winds. Very doubtful.
We just have to wait and see. He is sharing the guesses from the many different weather forecasts and he did guess a bit less than the model predictions. But the models are guessing for some waves being 25-30 feet high.
Again, we shall wait and see.

My question, how many cliff side homes will be lost.
Over under 3.5 (my guess).

They predicted 36 hours of non-stop rain, beginning last night at 10 PM. It is now the next dat, at 3:15PM, and have only seen one drop of rain so far. The news is now reporting the storm has slowed to a crawl (meaning no wind to push it) but it is double edged, meaning it will linger longer.

Just started sprinkling.
17070899997991472223280603810962.jpg

But we all know their predictions are a 50/50 chance. They might be right and they might be wrong. I trust the radar pictures more than their guesses. The real question is how long it will take to pass an area, how much rain will actually drop, and what direction the storm will actually take.
I suspect some areas will get lots of wind and rain, we just wont know where until after it happens. :ghostly:

Will this help the water level in the area? That much rain I would think would help, but does it get back into the aquifers or just run off?

Could never rain hard enough for that to happen, California is full of shi😮!
Now, now, parts of california are festering boils on society, but there are large areas of outstanding people to support.

As always the festering cesspools of humanity outweigh the good ones.

Will this help the water level in the area? That much rain I would think would help, but does it get back into the aquifers or just run off?
Most of this water on the western half of the state will flow into the ocean. But, most reservoirs were close to full and they started releasing extra water at some ahead of this storm to reduce the chance of them over flowing the dam spillways.

Not much. They have reservoirs, but not enough. I wonder if Lake Mead and Lake Powell are getting much moisture around them or feeding into them?

An engineer told me that the challenge with building new reservoirs is the endangered species always come into play.

I saw a news report a bit ago with at least one area having 100+mph winds. Plenty of flooding, mudslides, one mud slide in a neighborhood pushed a house across the street to the far curb.
Thank goodness they don't have 'hurricanes'! :thumbs:;)

Happy to report that all went well last night. Woke up to my pool overflowing, meaning we received in excess of 6" of rain through the night. All my new drains are working perfectly. I drained down the pool this morning, but just looking out, the level has risen another 2". Not a big issue, but the excess pressure on the side walls isn't good, so a quick 15 minute siphon drops the level pretty quick.

We have all of our local catch basins closed, so we are filling the aquifers from the top down. The water in my house comes from mountain stream water, so we are not using any of the MWD Water, but is available if our water level gets depleted. Lake Powell and Lake Mead are fed by the winter snow pack in the mountains, so we need as much snow as possible.

Keep in mind....

Where does MWD water come from?

We bring this water to the region from two sources: the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers, via the State Water Project, and the Colorado River, via the Colorado River Aqueduct.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back