Calling all SALSA canners

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyice

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've got a bag of tomatoes from the freezer left over from tomato-apoolza a few weeks ago and wanted to make salsa with it. Looking at this recipe from NCHFP (Choice Salsa). I don't have enough tomatoes by about half. After looking at the notes section, they are adamant about the proportions of tomatoes to onion/pepper mix for the acidity level.

My question...Would acidity alter if I'm halving the recipe? Do you think it will still be safe to water bath as the instructions direct you to do?

I was thinking if the whole recipe is halved that the proportions should be the same. i would probably naturally be generous with the salt and vinegar out of an abundance of caution.

Because of my natural fear of illness, I’ll probably just buy more tomatoes tomorrow and do the canning tomorrow night, but wanted to see what ideas are out there.

I always add extra acid when canning tomatoes. I feel like if you're halving all the ingredients for the recipe so ratios are the same and adding extra acid then you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back