Can I throw a wrench into the works

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes those will work nice. Something like this would be even better tho and can be hooked to a car battery or any 12V. Way better range.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/btwr-essentials-gsk-ham-kguv920p.html

On the handhelds, just use free chirp software and the programming cables to put in the frequencies and also program in all emergency ones. FEMA, races, etc. there is dozens. Jut google it. Also, be sure to do your local fire, police, etc. you can find these frequencies on repeaterbook.com.
Lastly, get a ham license. You won’t regret it!

Thank you so much! I will get them out today. Even though my husband has never programmed one, the man is amazingly smart...one of the tech type who has been a CIO for many, many years. He doesn’t know I have them. :D

Do you have a recommendation for an antenna that could be put in a tree? Our elevation is around 1800 and our daughters is a little over 1000. Her and her family is just short of 50 miles from us. Do you think there is an antenna that will go that far? Or link through other antennas?

I don’t think we have the resources to martial law all of America, do we?

No we don't, though it can to care of pockets pockets such as a city but not a whole nation, but the same thing can be done under a national emergency meaning some civil rights can be suspended for the greater good of the population.

I bought 2 hand held Hams. Gave one to daughter.

What type did you buy? Did you program them already? I bought some that I did not realize were HAMs until today. Trying to find out what type of antenna would work best when put high up in a tree. Our daughter is just short of 50 miles from us and I’d like to give her one.

I don’t think we have the resources to martial law all of America, do we?
I'm not really sure. I think it would take more than just the national guard. Would have to be regular military too, which is illegal without an act of congress if I remember correctly. Damn it's a scary thought either way.
The compound bow has an advantage over guns because it's quieter than a gun, and a razor hunting broadhead will penetrate the same soft body armor that will stop a .357 Magnum.
I like bows too because they are quiet. I got this mini crossbow that still has pretty good power. I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with a bolt from it, especially not a sharp-tip one. I don't think it would go through body armor though.

I'm not really sure. I think it would take more than just the national guard. Would have to be regular military too, which is illegal without an act of congress if I remember correctly. Damn it's a scary thought either way.

I like bows too because they are quiet. I got this mini crossbow that still has pretty good power. I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with a bolt from it, especially not a sharp-tip one. I don't think it would go through body armor though.

I also have a mini-pistol crossbow that has a 45 lb. draw weight (there is a model somewhere that has an 80 lb. draw weight). It doesn't seem powerful enough for me to use against a human, but I still have a niche use for it.

I have several Havahart traps in storage.

I plan to use the pistol crossbow to stun and/or euthanize small animals caught in these traps by shooting the crossbow through the bars.

This way, the animal doesn't suffer as much, and I have less chance of being bitten by a panicked animal.

I choose Havahart traps as animals that are protected and/or endangered can be released, animals can be put live in a pen and observed for disease (like rabies) before slaughter, and animals can be kept alive until they are eaten at some later time.

Havahart traps are reusable, and easy to repair and maintain.

I have the 80lb. model pistol. one of the few things legal in Germany without any license. Don't use the normal bolts. Cut or remove the cheap tip and re-equip with broad heads. If you have the possibility in the US, put in a bit of gunpowder, black powder or 3 drops of gasoline and a rimfire .22 casing without the slug on or in the tip. Makes a big bang for signalling if you get lost and a flash of light in the night to get someones attention.

Thank you so much! I will get them out today. Even though my husband has never programmed one, the man is amazingly smart...one of the tech type who has been a CIO for many, many years. He doesn’t know I have them. :D

Do you have a recommendation for an antenna that could be put in a tree? Our elevation is around 1800 and our daughters is a little over 1000. Her and her family is just short of 50 miles from us. Do you think there is an antenna that will go that far? Or link through other antennas?

For the latest data, news and info on using CHIRP to program radios visit the MIKLOR website http://www.miklor.com/

I have the 80lb. model pistol. one of the few things legal in Germany without any license. Don't use the normal bolts. Cut or remove the cheap tip and re-equip with broad heads. If you have the possibility in the US, put in a bit of gunpowder, black powder or 3 drops of gasoline and a rimfire .22 casing without the slug on or in the tip. Makes a big bang for signalling if you get lost and a flash of light in the night to get someones attention.

Also there are two types of bolt for the 80 pound pistol bows, get the type that the shaft is all alloy and hollow ( not half plastic half alloy) then fill the hollow section of the shaft with fine sand, it massively increases the kintetic energy on target though it does shorten the range.

Would theoretically work Brent, the extra weight will slow the acceleration from the get-go. The impact will be reduced by the slower speed. That is why the M-16 round so much damage creates. It only has 55 grains, but is travelling at over 900 m/s. The much higher speed increases the damage to soft tissues and can ricochet through the knee, up into the body cavity and exit out the armpit. Crazy things happen. This makes it almost useless in a jungle or grassland situation. Every blade of grass or the leaves can deflect it off target. We even turned the slug aroung for close quarters contact, had the magazine marked for house to house or room to room. The slug came out spinning and trying to orient itself into a trajectory.
You must do many little tests to see what the difference is, what advantages are for different targets and of course the dis-advantages...Gary

Would theoretically work Brent, the extra weight will slow the acceleration from the get-go. The impact will be reduced by the slower speed. That is why the M-16 round so much damage creates. It only has 55 grains, but is travelling at over 900 m/s. The much higher speed increases the damage to soft tissues and can ricochet through the knee, up into the body cavity and exit out the armpit. Crazy things happen. This makes it almost useless in a jungle or grassland situation. Every blade of grass or the leaves can deflect it off target. We even turned the slug aroung for close quarters contact, had the magazine marked for house to house or room to room. The slug came out spinning and trying to orient itself into a trajectory.
You must do many little tests to see what the difference is, what advantages are for different targets and of course the dis-advantages...Gary
No doubt, different weapons have specific uses that they excell at. The AR 10 has the punch to go through foliage without being deflected. It’s also much heavier and expensive to shoot. The AR 15 was designed for killing people. The shotgun is for home defense, etc. no one weapon can do everything. Read, learn and decide what works best for you. Most of us can’t afford to have one of each along with all the accessories and ammo for them. If you don’t have unlimited funds I suggest pick one weapon and practice with it to know what it can do and how to make it the most effective you can for multiple situations.

I also have a mini-pistol crossbow that has a 45 lb. draw weight (there is a model somewhere that has an 80 lb. draw weight). It doesn't seem powerful enough for me to use against a human, but I still have a niche use for it.
Mine is the 80 lb draw weight.
Also there are two types of bolt for the 80 pound pistol bows, get the type that the shaft is all alloy and hollow ( not half plastic half alloy) then fill the hollow section of the shaft with fine sand, it massively increases the kintetic energy on target though it does shorten the range.
I'll have to try this. I don't get much chance to practice or experiment with it here, but when I'm back at my parents' farm I like to play with different options.

so do most of you have walkie talkies- or do stick with ham radios? Or both? I was thinking the cheap walkies might be good to stay in contact should someone have to leave for whatever reason- my husband has a ham radio license and wants to go with something that has at least 2 meter band

Even the cheapest of walkie talkies are better than no commo it the SHTF. For scouting the immediate area and being able to call for help or give fair warning to the rest of the family. CB radio has a better range and any piece of wire attached and thrown up into the trees will extend the reception muchly. HAM and Shortwave are the best, but needing a license, in some places registration and are not cheap. Only HAM will go over certain Satellites, if you have the frequencies, as they pass over, as far as I have learned...

so do most of you have walkie talkies- or do stick with ham radios? Or both? I was thinking the cheap walkies might be good to stay in contact should someone have to leave for whatever reason- my husband has a ham radio license and wants to go with something that has at least 2 meter band

We use 2way Midland radios on property and neighborhood and we have HAM and GMRS for longer communications.

Latest posts

Back