Can You Reuse Oxygen Absorbers – Updated Guide

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok.

but this was one of dozens explaining how to reuse and what to look for., and ive reused a few now and then with no disasters. but i never waited til they got hard and crunchy . everyone can decide for themselves.

About 95% of the content of that linked page is incorrect.

Most of it is obviously incorrect......

Oxygen absorbers use a redox reaction that is effectively irreversible by end users.
Good point.

One version uses ion fillings that absorb O2 by rusting. Iron doesn't unrust in water.

Ben

Last edited:
ok.

but this was one of dozens explaining how to reuse and what to look for., and ive reused a few now and then with no disasters. but i never waited til they got hard and crunchy . everyone can decide for themselves.
From your link about recycling oxygen absorbers, this is the only section that talks about how you should do that:

Can You Reuse Oxygen Absorbers?

The answer is yes.

You can reuse many oxygen absorbers, and some of them are available in different forms and designs:

• Paper
  • Plastic, and
  • Metal forms

To reuse these oxygen absorbers, you must ensure they are well-cleaned and dried before use.

It is because each form has pros and cons, and it is essential to pick the one best suited to meet your needs.

How To Recycle Oxygen Absorbers Correctly

Oxygen absorber recycling can be a challenging process, and to get it right, you can take these few steps.

1. To begin, check all the oxygen absorbers regularly and ensure they are good.
  2. If they are not in working order, you need to fill them.
  3. Ensure that all the plastic and metal components are recycled. By doing this, you can lessen the quantity of garbage you produce and contribute to environmental protection.
Drying oxygen absorbers won't make them able to be reused.

On recycling:

1) How would anyone know they are "good"?
2) How would you "fill" them?
3) Ensure that all the components are recycled.........so by recycle they mean disposal not reuse.

The content is incorrect and useless. For people who use oxygen absorbers, it would look suspect/impractical and incomplete. For people who know how oxygen absorbers work, it would look like drivel.

People can read about how they work here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger

Last edited:
Quick version:

- Dessicants / 'Dry-boxes' / packets: Resuscitatable / Re-Usable (albeit not Indefinitely)

- O2 'Absorbers': 'One and Done' (till ya Open the container they've vacated the O2 from, flooding it with O2 again)

jd

For those of us with substantial stored food, oxygen absorbers and mylar bags are how most of our calories are stored.

If someone tried to reuse oxygen absorbers to do that, it would compromise their food storage systems. That may not be obvious until you actually need that food (like in a severe crisis).

For those that "store what they eat and eat what they store", spoilage caused by using a spent oxygen absorber would cause rancidification, which can be hard to detect, but causes long term health damage.

That would make reuse quite dangerous advice.

Still, a +1 to Jazzy for yer Sweetheart Motives, in posting / trying to help. :)

Nonetheless, Accurate Knowledge, bourne of Experience, is Paramount, especially when dealing with Food, and inherent 'insidious harmers' / killers, like rancidity, antimony-leaching (from Long Term water storage in PET bottles..) and botulism, etc..

So, take this 'correction' only with the sincerest of Caring-Concern it is delivered with / born-of. :cool:

jd

In my big sorting, organizing and purging project, I came across my oxygen absorbers that I haven't seen or used in a few years. They are in a glass canning jar with a canning lid and ring on the jar. How do I tell how good these are? And is there anything I can do to give them more life?

Latest posts

Back