Canada geese are not stupid!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommycourt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Back in Iowa we used to hunt Canada geese when the season was open. During the off season and through out the spring and summer they used to hang out in a Par 3 golf course due to the small ponds. One day a buddy of mine and I were golfing and he accidentally hit a Canada goose with a golf ball. The goose was standing next to one of the ponds and the golf ball hit him in the head and down he went. Part of the other flock actually went over to help the fallen goose. Since he was next to the water, they would dunk his head under water and pull it back out. We watched in total amazement! After about 10 minutes the goose regained consciousness and staggered off to another pond with about 6-7 other geese. They all preened him and were rubbing their heads against his. I had never seen anything like this before. Geese are gregarious creatures and stay in their flocks and tend to each other. I would have never thought something like this could happen. I actually thought when the goose got hit with the golf ball that it would die. God has a way of taking care of his creatures.

Tommy

When we were at Yellowstone we watched geese float down a the river, get to a certain spot and then fly back up river to float down again. They were feeding on something that must have been wonderful in that particular stretch of river. They did that for about an hr.

Driving through Canada a bunch of ravens were lunching on some road kill in the other lane. As I passed they all scattered, as they are want to do, and one hit my windshield. When I looked back I could see the others collecting around their fallen comrade and dancing. When I related this story to a friend he told me of killing one when he was a kid. They danced some ceremony around it then drug it over to a ditch and buried it under some twigs and other debris.

Because animals don't speak, in a way we understand, many don't think that they have emotions.

Driving through Canada a bunch of ravens were lunching on some road kill in the other lane. As I passed they all scattered, as they are want to do, and one hit my windshield. When I looked back I could see the others collecting around their fallen comrade and dancing. When I related this story to a friend he told me of killing one when he was a kid. They danced some ceremony around it then drug it over to a ditch and buried it under some twigs and other debris.

Because animals don't speak, in a way we understand, many don't think that they have emotions.

I never owned geese but thought they were neat.

Animals do have emotions sometimes more so than man .
We had a huge dog named Fred who loved our spayed black lab dearly, she controlled everything he did. He was a big teddy bear who never offered to bite anyone. But when Ester died and hubby was burying Ester Fred actually growled at him and showed his teeth. He was walking round and round crying and so was hubby.
Did you see the true story movie ' Hachi' with Richard Gere ? Beautiful movie.

I never owned geese but thought they were neat.

Animals do have emotions sometimes more so than man .
We had a huge dog named Fred who loved our spayed black lab dearly, she controlled everything he did. He was a big teddy bear who never offered to bite anyone. But when Ester died and hubby was burying Ester Fred actually growled at him and showed his teeth. He was walking round and round crying and so was hubby.
Did you see the true story movie ' Hachi' with Richard Gere ? Beautiful movie.

That was a great movie.

Canadian Geese are awesome animals and so loyal (if only people were as devoted to their partners).

They actually "date" various birds before pairing up, when they find a partner they are compatible with they officially commit with a mating ceremony and stay mated for life. If a mated partner dies the other will mourn for a while until they start dating again.

I used to work at an office complex that had lakes and there was a pair that nested in the fountain every year which lead me to do research. The grown daughters often come back to the place they were raised to nest and raise their own babies, and the extended families will group up to raise the chicks and grand chicks together. At sites with lots of other geese they have a social hierarchy where the pairs with the most chicks rank highest.

Really special animals with various social rules and customs. For instance the males always "announce" when the family unit will take to flight, yet the females always take to the air first and when they are off the ground the males follow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back