CANADA question.....Where is the center of the GRAIN FARMING

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Back when I was ferrying airplanes from Montana to Alaska, I would fly over miles and miles of grain fields. Where is the center of grain production in "Western" Canada......???

Back when I was ferrying airplanes from Montana to Alaska, I would fly over miles and miles of grain fields. Where is the center of grain production in "Western" Canada......???

Good question. When I was growing up on a small farm in Nebraska during the 1970's, there was nothing but wheat and corn for in all direction. Soybeans may be the current cash crop, but I have no clue.

I am "lightly" considering a retreat location. I am "slightly" concerned about Alaska if things go hot with Russia-China.

Pretty much in Saskatchewan and Alberta....
1653602787854.png

The map appears vaguely correct.. My brother in law does a lot of custom plant and harvest work in northern Alberta.. Some small grain, mostly canola crop..

What % of crops from Canada are exported ?? I'm not sure..
From somewhat 3 rd hand info, the Ukraine area produces 20 + % of the wheat available in Europe ??

So if North America slows export as a whole due to drought and a lot of other conditions... Australia and others will be doing the same.. I'm guessing China will feel a pinch without these products.. Maybe not soon, but eventually... With the way China has been acting the last couple years or more.... Will I be concerned for them ?? You can guess the answer to that......

Agriculture has a significant position in the province's economy. The province has over three million head of cattle,[98] and Alberta beef has a healthy worldwide market. Nearly one half of all Canadian beef is produced in Alberta. Alberta is one of the top producers of plains buffalo (bison) for the consumer market. Sheep for wool and mutton are also raised.

Wheat and canola are primary farm crops, with Alberta leading the provinces in spring wheat production; other grains are also prominent. Much of the farming is dryland farming, often with fallow seasons interspersed with cultivation. Continuous cropping (in which there is no fallow season) is gradually becoming a more common mode of production because of increased profits and a reduction of soil erosion. Across the province, the once common grain elevator is slowly being lost as rail lines are decreasing; farmers typically truck the grain to central points.[99]

Alberta is the leading beekeeping province of Canada, with some beekeepers wintering hives indoors in specially designed barns in southern Alberta, then migrating north during the summer into the Peace River valley where the season is short but the working days are long for honeybees to produce honey from clover and fireweed. Hybrid canola also requires bee pollination, and some beekeepers service this need.[100]

A canola field in Alberta
Alberta - Wikipedia

Across the province, the once common grain elevator is slowly being lost
--- ---
Bwahahahaha.... There is still a lot of southern parts of the provinces, from Manitoba across to the mountains where you can see 4 grain elevators in a row.... The one you are at, the one in the rear view mirror, and 2 ahead of you... Like the saying goes.. It is so flat you can watch your dog run away all morning...

We have a bee keeper about 2 km down stream from our pond... Depending on the season he keeps up to 100 hives or so... I would tease him, keep up the good work as you keep the bears away from our place... I have not heard his 300 magnum sound off for a couple summers now.. This as he has started keeping hives on a platform built on top of steel shipping containers.. The bears have not figured out how to get up there yet... His containers have scratch marks all the way around..

Latest posts

Back