Canning Hard Boiled Eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Cliff

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
OK folks. Time for some digging.
Regular vinegar that you buy in the store in 5% that is a given.
Commercial hard boiled eggs that you get in the store (Pennrose) have been around quite a while. I was always told that canning hard boiled eggs at home could not be done because they used commercial vinegar. (higher than 5%) I happened to see some 30% at Lowes of all places. So, I came home and checked trusty Amazon. They have several different grades! Their highest, 75%!!! Says it dilutes to 4.5 gallons of regular vinegar.
If I could find out what percentage is used commercially, I could can some hard boiled eggs and so could you. Might not be how I want my eggs but, it's way better than nothing.
Does anyone have access to some at a C-store? I imagine I could buy some hard boiled eggs already canned and see what the acidity is.
81J2Z60C-bL._AC_SX615_SY462_.jpg
81J2Z60C-bL._AC_SX615_SY462_.jpg

I really don’t think you need stronger vinegar. Grocery store stuff works fine. I’ve been advised not to use my homemade vinegar because of unknown strength, but regular store bought is good.
Amish Heart? Weedy? What are your thoughts?
I would think that strong stuff from Lowes would be a cleaning product. What does the label say?

i just added 2 recipes. I didn’t care for using cider vinegar myself. Plain worked fine. Note on the first photo there are 3 ways to do it- a fridge method, just eggs, and eggs with beets. If you add beets, a pressure canner is necessary for safety. Have fun canning!

Last edited:
I just looked at the label on the ones that I get from Our higher tech version of the Amish (Hutterites) and it just says vinegar, My guess is that they just use standard point pickling vinegar, which I think is 7 point 5 percent, but probably someone with more knowledge will come along

I really don’t think you need stronger vinegar. Grocery store stuff works fine. I’ve been advised not to use my homemade vinegar because of unknown strength, but regular store bought is good.
Amish Heart? Weedy? What are your thoughts?
I would think that strong stuff from Lowes would be a cleaning product. What does the label say?

i just added 2 recipes. I didn’t care for using cider vinegar myself. Plain worked fine. Note on the first photo there are 3 ways to do it- a fridge method, just eggs, and eggs with beets. If you add beets, a pressure canner is necessary for safety. Have fun canning!
This is something I have never done, but I am tempted to. I like to hard boil a dozen eggs and then eat one or two when I am on the go. If I peeled them and put them in vinegar in the fridge, without canning them, they could last for a while, but how long, I have no idea.

What I wonder is how they determine the strength of the vinegar that is sold? Isn't there a way to test it, something like litmus paper? The strong stuff said to dilute it.

I used to make pickled eggs on the tug. I had to label the jar as to the day they were allowed to eat the eggs. At 1201AM at shift change the new and/or old crew would hit the eggs pretty hard. I never had pickled eggs last very long, certainly not long enough to worry about them going bad. How many pickled eggs are you planning on making?

I don't know where I found this tip, but if you add a couple of tablespoons of baking soda to the egg boiling water, the egg peel a lot easier, And @Weedy I often saved my pickle juice to put boiled eggs in, they last a long time, cause it takes a couple of weeks to soak the pickle juice in to flavor the eggs,

I don't know where I found this tip, but if you add a couple of tablespoons of baking soda to the egg boiling water, the egg peel a lot easier, And @Weedy I often saved my pickle juice to put boiled eggs in, they last a long time, cause it takes a couple of weeks to soak the pickle juice in to flavor the eggs,
I do the exact same thing with Salmon eggs. I just save all the leftover juice from my pickles and then throw the eggs in that. It pickles quick and I don't have to do all the batching, we call it the poor mans pickling.

I do the exact same thing with Salmon eggs. I just save all the leftover juice from my pickles and then throw the eggs in that. It pickles quick and I don't have to do all the batching, we call it the poor mans pickling.
Do you use them for food or for trout bait?

Latest posts

Back