Canning Question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So a while back we canned some soup and it was awful. In trying to find the issue we were told that when canning you reduce the amount of spices and herbs because pressire canning intensifies the flavor of such things.

Gonna make some venison stew today and I want to can some of it. Any recommendations on how to adjust the amount of spices and herbs?

Pressure canning can indeed intensify flavors, but it can also alter textures and even colors a little bit. The only 'meat' I can is cubed meats, but even then we have to reduce the salt & pepper we use in preparing the meat otherwise when we can it and it sits the flavor gets stronger. If we salt it to taste it tastes almost too salty when we get around to using it. So I cut back on the base, salt, pepper, etc. so it is on the line between bland and just right.

We use half the salt called fro in canning but do use salt. In case shtf the salt will be there if needed. It has never messed up a recipe for us. We allow for the added salt when cooking.

I have already canned the venison and will be using the canned venison to make the stew. I do cubed venison with 2 drops of Worcester sauce, pinch salt, half pinch pepper for plain venison.

Want to can the finished stew. It has sweet potatoes, turnips, celery, carrot, onion, parsnips, tomatoes, and garlic. Spices are bay leaf, salt/pepper, parley and basil. Also some Worcester and a little mustard powder.

Thinking the bay leaf, garlic, basil, worcester, mustard and salt/pepper need half?

Latest posts

Back