Canning Sauerkraut

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm going to can kraut tomorrow. I've had a jar handling kit for several years. A couple weeks ago I bought a 21q pot with jar basket for water bath canning. I had found my moms old pressure canner, holds 6 pints, no quarts.

I needed something bigger for the future. Today the only pressure canner (in a town of 150K) was at a hardware store. 23q pot, a Presto, $154.

When I got home I was searching in the old canning room for something. I found my moms big canner, a Presto. The rubber ring was toast but it looked good otherwise. I know I can get a replacement ring. If I have to order one I might as well get a new gauge too.

I also bought a book last week "Complete Guide to Pressure Canning". There isn't one word about sauerkraut, so it's not complete. I called a friend, she cans kraut at 10psi for 10min. So I'll go with that unless someone knows better.

Book Canners 02a.JPG
Canners 01a.JPG

i used to like making and canning kraut---id make quarts, at my alt i have to steam can for 25 min. checking a chart, if you are sea level the 10 min works but if your at 1000ft and canning pints.
heres a link with a chart if it helps---scroll down towards the ebd for 'canning'. kraut is great to have.

https://www.healthycanning.com/home-canned-sauerkraut

I'm going to can kraut tomorrow. I've had a jar handling kit for several years. A couple weeks ago I bought a 21q pot with jar basket for water bath canning. I had found my moms old pressure canner, holds 6 pints, no quarts.

I needed something bigger for the future. Today the only pressure canner (in a town of 150K) was at a hardware store. 23q pot, a Presto, $154.

When I got home I was searching in the old canning room for something. I found my moms big canner, a Presto. The rubber ring was toast but it looked good otherwise. I know I can get a replacement ring. If I have to order one I might as well get a new gauge too.

I also bought a book last week "Complete Guide to Pressure Canning". There isn't one word about sauerkraut, so it's not complete. I called a friend, she cans kraut at 10psi for 10min. So I'll go with that unless someone knows better.

View attachment 88406View attachment 88407
The extension office can usually test your gauge for free 😁
PS I think there is a thread where I among others asked/discussed this??? (Will see what I can find)

Latest posts

Back