Canning

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up not wearing glove's. I washed my hands good.and with dish soap.rubed a eye later.burn baby burn.washed hands again.then used paper towel on eyelid.problem solved.

I finally got around to processing the left over Turkey and the carcass yesterday. The day before I simmered the turkey carcass most of the day with added in rooster booster, onion and celery. Stuck in fridge overnight so I could skim off all the fat. Since I processed 3 pints of meat I stuck them in with those. Got 9 pints of of nice looking turkey broth to add to my shelves. I've really missed canning since I didn't do my garden this season. For Christmas gifts I did do some Maple Jalapeno Onion Bacon Jam found over at the canning granny blog. Pretty good savory jam.

I canned 12- 1/2 pints yesterday. It dawned on me.that i can do that with vegetables as well seeing how it's just my dog n me now.

0222191106.jpg

Canned foods are notoriously good for long term storage, but there are still precautions to be noted. Check out this article https://zamonthly.org/2019/01/09/prepper-pro-tip-beware-of-botulism/
I do totally agree in safe canning practices. . . .unfortunately the canning gods are not able to approve every recipe that is out there that has been tried and true because of limited funds. I understand that. If one stays true to the guidelines set out by them, then a person should be just fine. I have been canning for a good number of years, never giving anyone botulism and will admit I am a canning rebel of sorts because I know of the limited funds. . . . I can butter, milk, pickled eggs etc which are all not approved.
There are many recipes out there from other countries that are great. Many of the approved water bath recipes I just can not take, mainly because of the vinegar used so I will alter. . . Like in hot sauce. . . I use no vinegar but use lemon juice instead. I know my tomatoes have the acid level, but as a precaution I use the lemon just in case.

I don't think this is the thread I was looking for, but it works for topic..although doesn't appear anyone posted here since 2019...

Anyhooo!

I haven't canned anything since I think October til today! I pulled 15 kielbasa out of freezer... filled 8 quart jars..could only get 7 quarts in canner ..but I think they turned out good! My first time canning kielbasa...Can't really tell from pic though

Attachments

• 20230114_214543.jpg
    12.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back