Canning

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I googled it and it's a decent booklet, at least the one I saw. The one I saw though didn't say anything about six years, just to have some days of food

I didn’t go to the link. Will have to find it. The guy, Canadian Prepper, said it was for 6 to 7 years. He approved of the booklet and went through it a bit. The only thing I remember him not agreeing with was turning in your old meds to the government. That is because the military conducted a lot of studies on old meds they has stored that were out of date…so they tested them and found almost all were safe to use many years after expiration date. Some at long as 20 years!

I didn’t go to the link. Will have to find it. The guy, Canadian Prepper, said it was for 6 to 7 years. He approved of the booklet and went through it a bit. The only thing I remember him not agreeing with was turning in your old meds to the government. That is because the military conducted a lot of studies on old meds they has stored that were out of date…so they tested them and found almost all were safe to use many years after expiration date. Some at long as 20 years!
I read a story months ago where they tested old medicine. Pills didn't lose hardly any potency, as long they did not get wet. Gel pills were the worst along with liquids.
They said regular pills would last indefinitely with only little loss!
I will try to find it again but seems like it was the Mayo clinic or some other high-end clinic.

I think it's just tetracycline that's a problem with going bad. I get our Zpacks (azithromycin) and amoxicillan from our feed store. I think our whole town does.
Sounds like a found the wrong booklet, although it was decent. It talked about your right to fight the enemy, and sounded like they encouraged it. I'll check out Canadian Prepper.

Nothing to do with canning other than he recommends "get food, get food, get food"..(paraphrasing (I think) as I dont recall exact words from a prior video). I'm still trying to get my head around his video where he was seemingly having a melt down right before the solar flare 🫡
I do think this info he is sharing in this video is good.

Back to topic: Get food! Keep on prepping! Canning is good way to do that! And great fun! All True!

Nothing to do with canning other than he recommends "get food, get food, get food"..(paraphrasing (I think) as I dont recall exact words from a prior video). I'm still trying to get my head around his video where he was seemingly having a melt down right before the solar flare 🫡

Back to topic: Get food! Keep on prepping! Canning is good way to do that! And great fun! All True!
I get that Hun! I’ve been stocking for many years now and it’s getting more necessary these days.

I have always found CP to be one of the most Chicken Littles.
I do have a leg up on most people on getting pet meds.
I have seen my wife take expired to save on some current stock that the people insurance company is giving her crap on.
The Pet insurance company doesn’t say boo.

I have been wanting to get into canning for a long time. I remember watching my mom do it and kick myself for not getting her to teach me. Guess I thought it wasn't manly or something.

Wally world has a set, no pressure cooker I don't think, I have been eyeing. Guess I better get it before it's to late. Then figure out how to do it! 🙀😸

One of our daughters is a pharmacist. I always ask her questions.

I have been wanting to get into canning for a long time. I remember watching my mom do it and kick myself for not getting her to teach me. Guess I thought it wasn't manly or something.

Wally world has a set, no pressure cooker I don't think, I have been eyeing. Guess I better get it before it's to late. Then figure out how to do it! 🙀😸
My wife bought 3 used water bath canners. Really only uses her pressure canner doing small batches for learning the process.
Just trying to help.

Another one who is finally saying “buy food” was Clif High. He didn’t go crazy like CP, but did say he was doing it.

Right now I'm using an Emeril Lagasse multicooker to pressure can. It has a pressure canning mode and works well. It's the largest model they sell, but it's still limited in capacity.
Eventually I'll be getting a large pressure canner for the new place that I will use outside on a turkey fryer burner.
Any suggestions on brand?

My wife bought 3 used water bath canners. Really only uses her pressure canner doing small batches for learning the process.
Just trying to help.
Thanks, never thought about a used one, other than trying to get my 3 brothers to go thru their stuff of our mom's to look for her old stuff. But that's like trying to tell a brick wall to move itself over 5 ft! Lol

Something to consider if you aren’t assured of electricity is one of these for outside canning.

1716297873770.png

Right now I'm using an Emeril Lagasse multicooker to pressure can. It has a pressure canning mode and works well. It's the largest model they sell, but it's still limited in capacity.
Eventually I'll be getting a large pressure canner for the new place that I will use outside on a turkey fryer burner.
I don't care about brand as long as it works but looking for something fairly cheap since I'm just starting and funds are hard to come by.

Something to consider if you aren’t assured of electricity is one of these for outside canning.

View attachment 25220
I caught some turkey fryer burners on sale at Academy. Bought 2 - one for home and one for BOL2.

And talk about Providence, or luck, or whatever else you want to call it...while I was actively shopping for a large stock pot for the turkey fryer burner, I stumbled across this at the back of the bottom shelf of the pantry still new in the box. My wife owned a Chinese restaurant decades ago, and near as we can figure, she bought it for the restaurant but never used it.. She didn't recognize it. I know I didn't buy it. It fits the turkey fryer burner perfectly.
BigStockPot.jpg

I don't care about brand as long as it works but looking for something fairly cheap since I'm just starting and funds are hard to come by.
Garage sale and online auctions are good resources for canners and jars

I like Presto. With the 23 quart, you can double stack pint jars which is good. Or does 7 quart jars. Price is pretty low for this, I think.
All American pressure canners is a good brand.
They are great but way too heavy for me to lift with a glass top stove.

I have an All American which I consider the best of a really good selection of pressure canners. My favorite is my Burpee because it holds 24 pints. It is old so I replaced the gage and got a new weight and fitting. I can’t find gaskets for it. I’ve been told that the gaskets are no longer available but if anyone has a source I’d appreciate a heads up.

When I replaced my BBQ I bought one with a side burner so I could can outside in the heat or if I had a power/NG failure.

Latest posts

Back