Catfish bait

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drying chicken livers

That was all we used on our trot-lines when I was growing up.
We didn't dry them, but chicken livers have good 'stink' that the catfish could smell and would draw them in like a magnet.
We had no problem filling a 20-gallon washtub full of catfish every 3 days :D.
(See also: "Why Super will never eat another catfish").

That was all we used on our trot-lines when I was growing up.
We didn't dry them, but chicken livers have good 'stink' that the catfish could smell and would draw them in like a magnet.
We had no problem filling a 20-gallon washtub full of catfish every 3 days :D.
(See also: "Why Super will never eat another catfish").
We never did either when running a trot line. They will stay on, cause you are droppping the line into the water
When you cast is usually when it flies in a different direction
And you see 2 splashes.

The deed is did

Layered in its little container

image.jpg

At10 am. I am going to catch my limit

https://www.franklinadvocate.com/articles/974/view

Go NOODLING!!
Hmmmmmm
Something to think about

Plan change
Buddy called me up and asked me if I wanna go fishing with him on his boat

Hhmmm???
Let's see bank fishing or boat ?
Real hard decision. NOT?
Pick me up!!
So. He will pick me up at 5 am. And it is 445. I am sitting here with the gear

Rained out. But O did manage to catch something

I snagged a rod and reel
The reel you see, was black with mud. I washed it off to see if it is a high dollah reel
lol. $8.00 new.
But it will be sufficient as a happy happy for some kid that needs one
image.jpg
image.jpg

Frodo.. I love, love those little $8 Shakespeare reels.. Disassemble, clean in hot soapy water, lube with Vaseline, new line... Pair one with a garage sale pole and you are good to go..

At a time you could make up fishing outfits with old metal Johnson Century reels and poles all from garage sales.. The old Johnson Century and Citation reels was what I grew up using.

Frodo.. I love, love those little $8 Shakespeare reels.. Disassemble, clean in hot soapy water, lube with Vaseline, new line... Pair one with a garage sale pole and you are good to go..

At a time you could make up fishing outfits with old metal Johnson Century reels and poles all from garage sales.. The old Johnson Century and Citation reels was what I grew up using.
Have you taken apart me of these reels? I took it apart and cleaned each piece
But am wondering something might not be just right
The line release button has 2 tits on the side. They sit on 2 small v shaped bumps in the casing
The other end spits on the spring / bolt that releases the line

Does your release button just float like mine? Seems kinda cheesy but we are talking about an $8 reel.

No.. I have not had this specific model reel apart..

I have renovated many similar models.. Yes.. the push button usually rides on 2 pins in the back of the case, under tension from the line release shaft.. Depending on the model it seems you may need 3+ hands to get everything to pop together.. But you will eventually get it right..

Reactions: Neb

I have renovated many similar models.. Yes.. the push button usually rides on 2 pins in the back of the case, under tension from the line release shaft.. Depending on the model it seems you may need 3+ hands to get everything to pop together.. But you will eventually get it right..
I have the third hand lol.
I just do not like the slop in the button movement

Attachments

• IMG_0281.mov
    24 MB
View attachment 128585

I have the third hand lol.
I just do not like the slop in the button movement

We used to use dried-out fat trimmings soaked in bacon grease.
Grandpa used to pickle them in a jar of coal oil, NOT kerosene. kerosene is poison!

IMG_0288.jpeg
I just figured out something I did not know
My vintage zebco 33 has a bait alert switch on the side so I am switching it back and forth like a trained monkey trying to figure what is the alert
Have you ever heard a clicking sound when someone reels in a fishing line?
That click is the alert
With alert on if the line plays out. It clicks
With the bait alert off no sound when the line plays out.

Ya'll are not going to believe this, but it's true
For the last few years I have been looking at the columns on this old bridge I can see catfish swimming around a one of them. But I have been hesitant to fish in this spot. Last evening I dropped a line
I caught 3 channel cats all 12/13" long
Sorry. No pictures . Standing on. Bridge. With a line dropped 20'. Reeling a fish up, is kind of a 3 hand operation. And takes all your attention

I will take someone with me next time
It's a hoot!!!

Last edited:
Back