CB Radio

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can somebody clear up some terminology here for me?

In Oz "CB" refers to the old 27MHz AM sets and "UHF" refers to the new ~476MHz FM sets. Is this the same terminology used by you US guys?

I don't know anybody that uses 27Mhz these days in Oz so it actually could be a good SHTF radio for OPSEC reasons because the chances of somebody else using it are pretty slim AFAIK.

Can somebody clear up some terminology here for me?

In Oz "CB" refers to the old 27MHz AM sets and "UHF" refers to the new ~476MHz FM sets. Is this the same terminology used by you US guys?

I don't know anybody that uses 27Mhz these days in Oz so it actually could be a good SHTF radio for OPSEC reasons because the chances of somebody else using it are pretty slim AFAIK.

Although I haven't used Citizens Band/CB since I used to hang out in my uncles base station - which was a couple of years before girls started distracting me...but I think that you are correct.

CB is still used in the US, and in some areas, it's still popular - but the band plan has been squeezed down very narrowly. Not sure, but I think 6m and 10m used to be part of the CB frequencies?

Assuming SHTF eliminates repeaters the, reach of CB's 27MHz is more useful for me.
That is why i keep a good CB and antenna. I have a bunch of repeaters around me, but if the grid goes down they will, in time follow suit.....

The entrance into HF isn't that expensive - if you're alright buying a slightly older rig.
Also watching for sales and rebates at stores like Ham Radio Outlet can save you several 100 dollars.
Icom, in my experience, does not do rebates when they have an item go on sale, the just do a price drop.
This makes buying a radio much more affordable.

I know Comms are essential but I stay away from Ham setups because of the licencing system, its bad OPSEC and PERSEC, once you have a ham licence and a callsign your details name addresses etc are available easily from multiple registers and sources, IE it ADVERTISES there is comms gear at this address, So I stick to CB and modified unlicenced ham gear using non licence frequencies like FRS and PMR but at higher power.

Last edited:
I have a question , as being brand new to using a CB . My base station CB is picking up transmissions 1000's of miles away . How is it doing this as I thought this system had a limited range ? Granted it is staticky but it is picking up from central U.S. to the West Coast . This system , I am setting up for local communications from house to house , so after the Nuking starts we can communicate within our group . -- I am also in the progress of setting up a base ham radio with another purpose in mind .

Last edited:
I have a question , as being brand new to using a CB . My base station CB is picking up transmissions 1000's of miles away . How is it doing this as I thought this system had a limited range ? Granted it is staticky but it is picking up from central U.S. to the West Coast . This system , I am setting up for local communications from house to house , so after the Nuking starts we can communicate within our group . -- I am also in the progress of setting up a base ham radio with another purpose in mind .

CB bands are subject to skipping, during certain weather and atmospheric conditions.

Just bought a base in the next town. Still have two for portable in the car. We have gotten reception all the way to America from Germany with a extended antenna when the weather was good and as written in another thread it is possible to get hundreds of miles with a 50 foot wire thrown up into a tree, shot with a bow and arrow, with a sling shot or other method. If you live near mountains and a tall tree to boot on top of the mountain, you might get good reception regularly.

Latest posts

Back