Ceramics

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Has anyone else ever done any ceramics work?

I took a ceramics class in college, and one later at a community center. We made slab pots, pinch pots, and coiled pots in what is called hand built. I have also thrown a number of pots on a pottery wheel. My daughter has taken a ceramics class that focused on throwing pots on a pottery wheel.

When I lived in North Dakota, there was a large ceramics shop that had lots of green ware. I would go there and make things with friends. If you are unfamiliar with this type of ceramics, there are molds that are filled with more of a liquidy clay. It sets up and the mold is released. The product is called green ware. There are seams where the mold was put together and those need to be cleaned off. This was part of what I did in ND. After it was cleaned, and dry, it was fired in a kiln, a bisque firing. After it is bisque fired, you can paint the piece, stain it, or put on a glaze. With glaze, it gets another firing in the kiln.

In those days I made several nativity sets as gifts, as well as other pieces.

I hadn't even thought about green ware until recently when I was thinking about what big Christmas decoration I could work on next. One of my clients has a set of 3 ceramic Christmas trees, the kind with lights. I was thinking that would be a good project. I went to a ceramics store. There is no green ware now, it has already all been cleaned and had a bisque firing. No problem with that. I looked at their trees, and they had them in three sizes. The largest, about 18 inches was $190. That includes paint or glaze and an additional firing if desired. I like the larger tree, but wow! That is a lot. I don't remember the price of the middle size tree, but the smallest was $110 (I think).

It has been more than 40 years since I worked with green ware, but wow. The prices seem crazy to me. I have no memory of what I paid for the things I made all those years ago.

The only ceramic thing I ever made was in 1965.
The teacher had a kiln and he would let us make stuff.
He had molds and we also did some free hand stuff.
One morning a kid on the bus had a huge leaf, about 12" wide. Don't know what type it was.
I talked him into giving it to me.
In class I rolled out some clay, pressed the leaf imprint into it then shaped it into a bowl.
I fired it in the kiln, then painted it with a special paint that made it look like a leaf.
I gave it to my Mom for Christmas.
We moved to Hawaii a month later and she carried it in her lap all the way to Hawaii and back.
That leaf is now sitting in my wife's china cabinet.

I've given it a go a few times, in support of my mission to try every craft on earth :)
I haven't used a wheel, but made coil pots from clay and some bits from air dry clay. A friend makes pottery for a living, so last year I made bells with her for fun.

The only ceramic thing I ever made was in 1965.
The teacher had a kiln and he would let us make stuff.
He had molds and we also did some free hand stuff.
One morning a kid on the bus had a huge leaf, about 12" wide. Don't know what type it was.
I talked him into giving it to me.
In class I rolled out some clay, pressed the leaf imprint into it then shaped it into a bowl.
I fired it in the kiln, then painted it with a special paint that made it look like a leaf.
I gave it to my Mom for Christmas.
We moved to Hawaii a month later and she carried it in her lap all the way to Hawaii and back.
That leaf is now sitting in my wife's china cabinet.
That is a really awesome project and story!
A friend of mine was a professional potter, but is now retired. She belonged to a pottery guild who has sales a couple times a year.

My daughter got a bowl at one of those sales what was made from clay made this same way, leaf impressions and then put together over a bowl to shape it. It was really cool.

My daughter had a roommate, her first roommate, a girl who she had met through church. The girl would have parties and she was always really crazy when she drank. She had a party and guess what got broken? The leaf bowl. Daughter was really not happy about that. She had always kept fruit in the bowl.

Has anyone else ever done any ceramics work?

I took a ceramics class in college, and one later at a community center. We made slab pots, pinch pots, and coiled pots in what is called hand built. I have also thrown a number of pots on a pottery wheel. My daughter has taken a ceramics class that focused on throwing pots on a pottery wheel.

When I lived in North Dakota, there was a large ceramics shop that had lots of green ware. I would go there and make things with friends. If you are unfamiliar with this type of ceramics, there are molds that are filled with more of a liquidy clay. It sets up and the mold is released. The product is called green ware. There are seams where the mold was put together and those need to be cleaned off. This was part of what I did in ND. After it was cleaned, and dry, it was fired in a kiln, a bisque firing. After it is bisque fired, you can paint the piece, stain it, or put on a glaze. With glaze, it gets another firing in the kiln.

In those days I made several nativity sets as gifts, as well as other pieces.

I hadn't even thought about green ware until recently when I was thinking about what big Christmas decoration I could work on next. One of my clients has a set of 3 ceramic Christmas trees, the kind with lights. I was thinking that would be a good project. I went to a ceramics store. There is no green ware now, it has already all been cleaned and had a bisque firing. No problem with that. I looked at their trees, and they had them in three sizes. The largest, about 18 inches was $190. That includes paint or glaze and an additional firing if desired. I like the larger tree, but wow! That is a lot. I don't remember the price of the middle size tree, but the smallest was $110 (I think).

It has been more than 40 years since I worked with green ware, but wow. The prices seem crazy to me. I have no memory of what I paid for the things I made all those years ago.
My mother was into ceramics while my father was still active duty. There was a ceramic shop on base she could use all of the molds for free and just had to pay for the slip(?). My sister has the tree you mentioned. She also made all four us chess sets.

I did some sculptures and sold them for cash.

I later learned the root of the word " graven" is "grave" which means "dig". There is a good bit of digging involved in sculpting. I gave it up to play it safe.

Ben

I'll bet if you were in the right place at the right time you could find one of these at a thrift store or garage sale.
ceramic christmas tree.JPG

Latest posts

Back