Chainsaws

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winds-of-change

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Hubby’s birthday was last Wednesday and he wants to buy himself a chainsaw. I’m looking for suggestions on a good, reliable gas or battery operated chainsaw. Our use would be occasionally taking down a dead tree, clean up after a storm and cleaning the property of trees in unwanted locations. It would not be used everyday but we want one that works when we want it to work. What has been your experience and suggestions welcome.

Not everyone can afford a Stihl.
I’ve had a small Husqvarna saw for 20 years now, a 14”.
I wanted a bigger one for larger jobs but being retired now could not afford one of them big Husky’s.
So, I bought an 18” Poulan from Tractor Supply. That brand is made by Husqvarna, by the way.
I need to cut a tree down maybe once or twice a year, the Poulan is fine for that.

The trick to having a saw that runs when you need it is the fuel.
I used to buy non ethanol gas and mix my own.
But as little as I use a saw or my brush cutter, I buy True Fuel at the parts store.
It’s 93 octane non ethanol premixed, and can sit in your saw for months and yet it will fire right up when you need it.
Yes, it’s more expensive than gasoline, but for occasional users like me that’s not a problem.
It comes in 50:1 and 40:1 mixtures.

I’d buy a Stihl or a Huskavarna and call it a day.
+1 on Stihl.
When a hurricane blows thru, every video on the news that shows downed trees being cut up, they are all magically using a Stihl. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I have around 6 chainsaws. None are Stihl, 4 are Husqvarna.
Of the 4 Husky's, 3 are professional, 1 is a homeowners saw. The homeowners saw will get things done but not nearly with the power and proficiency of the pro saws. I honestly never use the homeowners.

One thing I will say, is as I age, those big pro saws (372XP and 365) can kick my ass. They're so fast, I'm cutting a lot faster than I really want to and I need breaks frequently. Cutting completely through a 16-18" hardwood takes under 10 seconds. Then you lift the saw out (and it's heavy) move over and repeat.

Like @Bacpacker said, unless I really need the big saws, I go with the little/pro saw. It's a 338XTP. It's much lighter and easier to handle.

My old saw is a husqvarna 340(15yrs+), got a new Stihl 251 last fall. Both with 16" bars and the same size engine.

I like the new stihl better but the husq 340 is easier to start. The Stihl is easier to adjust, chain tension etc. Can't go wrong with either of them. Both are great on a farm, have taken down large trees. But mostly used for cutting up fallen trees or limbs, cutting firewood.

20230606_Saws_34sm.jpg

Last edited:
We heat with firewood and remove many downed pines after storms on our property. I run a Jonsered 2152 (made in Sweden) and a Dolmar 5105 (made in Germany). These are both professional saws. If you go for a Husky or Stihl, buy a model made in Germany or Sweden, respectively. Sorry, but the big box USA-made models of these saw brands don't measure up to the ones made in Europe.

We've used Poulan here for decades as our topping/brush crew saws. they're reasonably tough and you're not out a lot when the idiot lineman drops a limb on one. everything else and the heavy cutting got Sthil or Husky. if he's not going to be cutting 3'+ logs, a Poulan ought to be fine, just change the chain and gas line to a better brand, we've had trouble with them the last couple of years. probably the lowest bidder outsourcing.

Our property was originally part of a tree farm, Southern Yellow Pine trees.
When the dozer pushed over trees for the 150’ drive, cleared the spot for the mobile home and the septic drain field, they were just pushed up into piles.
They could not be sold, timber companies want to cut the trees themselves.
Big piles, trees very which way like pickup sticks.
Using the wife’s Bronco, a stout chain, and my $75 used Poulan, I spent a year of weekends dragging them out and cutting them into pieces I could pick up and put in the back of my old S-10.
Each load was weighed at the dump. That old saw, that old truck, and me cut and hauled 22,000 pounds of pine logs. I kept the weight tickets.

So, you can spend many hundreds of dollars on a saw, many many hundreds, or you can make do with what ya got.

Last edited:
Years ago I bought a Sthil 08 that wouldn't start at a yard sale for $50. It took me about 20 minutes to get it running.
Best chainsaw I ever ran. It was big and heavy but it would cut anything without bogging down.
I sold it to a chainsaw shop for $100 years later because I didn't have any use for it.
I only have a few trees so I really don't need a chainsaw. I do have an electric pole saw that I bought at Harbor Freight for $65.

He ended buying a Poulan Pro 18”. I hope it serves us well. It was $50 off so paid around $170. I’m a bit worried no one suggested Poulan.
Rice paddy daddy did! We have two of those, an 18" and a 20"! All our others are Echos, tough as nails! We cut A LOT of wood!!

I can NOT believe none of you use ECHO saws. They are great I have several the oldest made in 1968 that my grandfather bought new in 68. I bought my first Echo CS510 in 1995 after Poulan saws kept having to be replaced every year. I still have and use it regularly almost 30 years later. Only work it's had is a new fuel line ONCE in all these years. I bought a Echo 330T in 2008 and it's my go to for anything up to 12 inches, 14 inch bar lite and plenty of power. I also own a much newer Stihl MS290 same size as the CS 510 but seriously over weight and under powered in comparison. Then my big saw is a Dolmar PS7900 I only use it for the really big stuff as it weighs 27lbs without a bar if memory serves! All nice saws and worth the money, of them all the CS 330T is my favorite the CS 510 is next then after that it doesn't matter I use whatever fits the job best or is handy! The Echo saws by far have the best power to weight ratio and cause less user fatigue. The prices are higher than most and nearly on par with Stihl but the bang for the bucks is much higher in my opinion!

I can NOT believe none of you use ECHO saws. They are great I have several the oldest made in 1968 that my grandfather bought new in 68. I bought my first Echo CS510 in 1995 after Poulan saws kept having to be replaced every year. I still have and use it regularly almost 30 years later. Only work it's had is a new fuel line ONCE in all these years. I bought a Echo 330T in 2008 and it's my go to for anything up to 12 inches, 14 inch bar lite and plenty of power. I also own a much newer Stihl MS290 same size as the CS 510 but seriously over weight and under powered in comparison. Then my big saw is a Dolmar PS7900 I only use it for the really big stuff as it weighs 27lbs without a bar if memory serves! All nice saws and worth the money, of them all the CS 330T is my favorite the CS 510 is next then after that it doesn't matter I use whatever fits the job best or is handy! The Echo saws by far have the best power to weight ratio and cause less user fatigue. The prices are higher than most and nearly on par with Stihl but the bang for the bucks is much higher in my opinion!
I have an Echo gas-powered tree limb trimmer. The motor for the saw is at one the end of a 13-foot pole, the saw blade is at the other end of the pole. I've had it for over 25 years. It works great and always starts.

Hubby’s birthday was last Wednesday and he wants to buy himself a chainsaw. I’m looking for suggestions on a good, reliable gas or battery operated chainsaw. Our use would be occasionally taking down a dead tree, clean up after a storm and cleaning the property of trees in unwanted locations. It would not be used everyday but we want one that works when we want it to work. What has been your experience and suggestions welcome.
Regardless of the brand, the little dillyschnoogers that make the "easy start" wear out and will need replacing. We opted for the regular start.

He ended buying a Poulan Pro 18”. I hope it serves us well. It was $50 off so paid around $170. I’m a bit worried no one suggested Poulan.
That was the saw I bought from Tractor Supply two years ago. Poulan Pro 18". Kinda heavy for an old guy.
For the homeowner/casual user it's a good saw. If you mix your own fuel, make sure to use non-ethanol gas and buy quality two stroke oil. Drain the fuel out, back into the can after use, if it's going to sit for more than a week or so. After draining, start the saw to run the fuel out of the carburetor.

I use True Fuel premix. Expensive, but a gallon will last me 6 months and won't gum up the carburetor if left in the saw.

As I noted above, Poulan is made by Husqvarna, it's their "budget model". There's nothing wrong with them if you're not making your living with it.

I did! but as a light to medium duty saw. go read my advice on the chain and fuel line. :)

Well, when I need to cut wood, nothing but this will do
66984-NoDeal.gif
:

I need to borrow that thing to get that 5' in diameter oak log out of my yard!
Landlord says:
"We'll turn that thing into BBQ chunkies next week, it'll be out of your way."
That was three years ago.

Being an old guy, with very little of the stamina I used to have.... My best experience was with a Stihl MS170 (16" bar) It is a smaller, lighter, it is or was a cheaper model that was much more of a work horse than many may give it credit for..

If, when I buy another saw I will look at this model first...
Your experience and needs may vary..

I have a Stihl MS170 and a Milwaukee battery powered saw. I like them both, but if I had to pick one, it would be the Milwaukee since it starts every single time without issue. I'm not mechanical, so it's nice to just grab it and go. It also has a good amount of power to do what I want it to. We have lots of Milwaukee products though, so we always have charged batteries around. We use the big battery for the saw and it is a bit pricey, so that could be a concern if you don't already have Milwaukee batteries around.

Being an old guy, with very little of the stamina I used to have.... My best experience was with a Stihl MS170 (16" bar) It is a smaller, lighter, it is or was a cheaper model that was much more of a work horse than many may give it credit for..

If, when I buy another saw I will look at this model first...
Your experience and needs may vary..
Same Sthil I have. Its a super nice small saw and does all I've asked of it. Starts easy everytime

Last week I bought a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with an 18" bar. Also bought a spare skip-tooth chain for it. I've got an older Sthil saw too.
Back when I was horse logging I had two Saks Dolmar saws. Best saws I've ever owned. One was my falling saw with a 36" bar, the other was my limbing saw with an 18" bar. I had a holster built on to the horse harness to carry the limbing saw.
I'm happy with the Husky so far. Eventually I want to pick up a battery powered Dewalt saw to carry in my Jeep or the side by side.

We've got a Stihl MS211C (never used), a Stihl MSA140C-B (just bought it, will try it soon), a Stihl GTA-26 (a cute little thing that is surprisingly useful) and Black & Decker Alligator lopper (we've used this for decades, and it is a cheap and phenomenal tool IMHO).

The 211 is a gas saw with an 18" bar. We've got chaps and helmet and all that stuff, but it's a bit intimidating for not-really-chainsaw-using folks like us. Many years ago the wife said "I want a chainsaw for Christmas". I was thinking, "What do we need a chainsaw for, we live in the suburbs?" But it wasn't terribly expensive so I got the Stihl MS211C for her, along with the safety gear. Being suburbanites, it's not like we live in a forest of huge trees. Yes, we have quite a few trees in our yard, but once you cut 'em down, well, they're gone. So no need for a larger chainsaw like this. But we have it. For whatever reason.

My wife just bought the 140 a few weeks ago. 12" bar I think it is? She brought it home to yet another "What do we need a chainsaw for?" question from me. Hey, but this one is battery powered, FWIW. I guess that means we don't have to worry about it starting or not starting the next time we don't use it. But the battery interchanges with the new Stihl leaf blower that she bought at the same time. That's a pretty good leaf blower BTW. We also have a corded Stihl hedge trimmer. No hedges mind you, but hey, we're ready to trim them if one should pop up in our yard. That hedge trimmer is quite the beast. It munches through some pretty heavy evergreen gnarly stuff, which is what we trim with it. Lastly (in the Stihl group, except for the itsy bitsy saw below), we have a gas powered weed whacker. I use that to scalp the yard down to the dirt when I miss the actual blade of grass I was aiming for. That's one powerful sucker!

Now the little chainsaw thingys we have - we do use those all the time. That little Stihl GTA-26 is great for trimming branches with it's 4 inch bar. Very handy. Like a little hand saw, but powered, so it's effortless. My favorite chainsaw thingy is still our ancient B&D Alligator loppers. That has a 6" bar on it and it clamps down on what you're cutting. So no kickback and very safe because of that. And the lower jaw snaps closed over the chain and bar under spring tension so you'd have to work really hard to cut yourself with it. Ours is corded, but they make battery ones now.

If I could only have one - it would be the B&D alligator loppers. This is one of those tools that you buy a spare of, in case yours breaks and they stopped making it. I'll bet that 140 saw would be great for people with lots of trees that need clearing. But we don't really plan to denude our yard, so I'm not exactly sure what my wife bought it for.

Our Fellowship of the Chainsaw:

211.png

140.png

gta26.png

alligator.jpg

loppers.jpg

Latest posts

Back