Cheap green house.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanabill

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I built one using cattle panels. I spent around $250 back then.
When I built mine the panels were $16 each now they are $38.
I bought a really good roll of plastic and it is still in great shape 5 years later.
At the price of the one you listed it would be worth a try.
thanks, the cost of heavy plastic has really gone up. thats why this sounded like a deal. I eventually want to build a greenhouse out of recycled house windows but time is running out for this spring and I think we may need food this year..

thanks, the cost of heavy plastic has really gone up. thats why this sounded like a deal. I eventually want to build a greenhouse out of recycled house windows but time is running out for this spring and I think we may need food this year..
You must not get the hail that we get here once in a while. It can do some damage.
I want to make a greenhouse with corrugated clear plastic panels.

I think if I were considering a cheap green house, I would make my own by stringing paracord to make a frame, and covering it with a plastic painting drop cloth (the heavy stuff, not the Saran Wrap style thin junk), and then more paracord on top of that to hold things down, maybe with the help of a bunch of clothes pins or office binder clips.

You can get paracord everywhere. Heavy duty clear plastic sheeting - probably at Home Depot. A couple rolls of duct tape to paste the sheeting together to make it even bigger - Also at Home Depot. I would completely tape down the entire length of a seam both front and back - you'll probably need a lot of duct tape! Also, tape down the paracord runners that go inside the sheeting. You could use a bunch of cheap aluminum tent stakes to hold things down, supplemented with rocks. It you don't have enough trees around to string up your paracord spider web, you would buy some PVC pipe. You'd have to guy that PVC down like the centerpole of a TeePee with more paracord.

I made a "tube tent" using similar construction many years ago. That thing help up very well. You would of course have to scale it up quite a bit for your application.

Some of the customer images of the one on Amazon don't exactly inspire confidence...

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81dNaNvweNL.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81LWg9paG+L.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81b1KocKLbL.jpg

Our weather here won't allow regular roll plastic for more than 4 or so months. Either the wind will rip it first, or the hot/cold temps will make it brittle and fall apart and become a mess all over the place. Duct tape gives out here for the same reason. As strong a plastic as you can use is the best.

I have used a "tent" garage and the fabric only lasts about 2 seasons... But if you can get replacement fabric and the frame is sturdy enough it would be worth giving it a try. Note: the canvas from one year may not work on a frame from a different year, even if it is from the same manufacturer. Just something to think about.

I would personally get the peaked version, not the round version. Taking the cover off would be the smart thing to do. I would give one a go.

For those who use the tent garages, they need to be sprayed with UV resistant coating. That and padding the metal bars to keep the tarp cool and not rubbing so much, will get you a lot more life span.

that looks pretty neat. i have a similar ---hoop green house but made with pvc pipes as ribs stuck on metal rods hammered in ground and covered with heavy duty professional clear greenhouse plastic.

i like the look of this one and the roll up feature--nice help.
in 15 yrs ive had to replace the plastic cover 3x. higher altitude and more uv degrades plastic quicker here learned to keep some bakups in garage.

Well the 149$ greenhouse showed up. I really didnt know if it was fake or not but a unmarked white truck stopped by and the guy unloaded this one long box....I kinda wondered about the unmarked delivery van but the driver had the normal fed ex uniform so i put away the guns and lowered the drawbridge.
We shall see how this experiment works out. Where we live in montana so far the past few years has been easy on us as far as hail so if I can anchor for the wind this might be a go.
For those that have not bought plastic products like gas cans and heavy plastic clear sheeting...... covid really raised the prices..and that small thing like inflation might have something to do with it as well.

Well the 149$ greenhouse showed up. I really didnt know if it was fake or not but a unmarked white truck stopped by and the guy unloaded this one long box....I kinda wondered about the unmarked delivery van but the driver had the normal fed ex uniform so i put away the guns and lowered the drawbridge.
We shall see how this experiment works out. Where we live in montana so far the past few years has been easy on us as far as hail so if I can anchor for the wind this might be a go.
For those that have not bought plastic products like gas cans and heavy plastic clear sheeting...... covid really raised the prices..and that small thing like inflation might have something to do with it as well.
Be sure and let us know what you think of the materials and construction.

And some pictures when it is set up. the amazon pics show it to be similar to the one I got last year, it is ok, but the frame is weak the attach points are prone to failure , but I guess you get what you pay for, mine has green mesh in it, not white, doubt that makes any difference

We shall see how it goes this year. We already have a smaller plastic covered greenhouse we are planning on using for herbs and such.
Our side buisness is really picking up and it is looking like the summer might be too busy. That is if canada or california doesnt burn and choke us out or our own dry forests dont burn. Thick smoke has a way of discouraging visitors..Also the national and world economic situation could go sideways at any time and then we would be planting anywhere we could with the seeds we already have. Even if it is a fall garden we could coax some cold hardy vegies this fall if we had the need.

That being said it is nice to have a greenhouse we can throw up easyly and I have lots of materials to reinforce things and put in a row of posts down the center.
I

I just recalled a few of the trouble that popped up with the one here. It has no method to anchor the wall side bottoms, and rear wall bottom, This year I think I am going to put it over a section of the tilled soil garden, for spring and then remove the tarp until fall like you are planning, I will just use soil to hold the tarp wall in place. bees seem to be able to get in side one there own,

I bought one of the small "very cheap" greenhouses off of Amazon a couple of years ago. Other than the plastic piping coming apart every now & then I'm shocked at how long it's lasted & how good it looks. And that's saying a lot considering the temps we get around here & the wind. But in all fairness, I did back it up to a fence.

Latest posts

Back