Checked my GHB

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I didn't have anything planned today so I got my bag out of my truck and went through it.
It's been about 2 years since I did that but I can tell you it will happen more often from now on.
I found I was not as prepared as I thought.
The energy bars were the worst.
Had no idea they could get that bad.
Jerky was hard as a rock.
All food items were trash.
A lot of first aid items needed replaced.
My rain gear was in good shape, but I'm not so there is no way I can get it on.
My wife can wear it so it's not a total loss.
As long as I was at it I went through my wife's bag and the first aid kits in the house.
Again I found a lot of outdated stuff and stuff that was just old and useless.
I found somethings I didn't have that i should of had.
No flashlight! How the heck did that happen?
Maybe a good New Year resolution for me.
Have you checked yours lately?
Someone say they haven't checked so I don't feel like the Lone Ranger.:)

Last edited:
My "GHB" is really just my duty bag. Something pretty much every LEO keeps in their patrol car and has numerous items that one would also expect to find in a GHB/BOB, including things to deal with active threats, tac med gear, etc. Most even include food for when something happens and that 10 hour shift becomes 23+ hours. So I check mine about once a week as I bring it in the house for my days off. Good reminder though.

My get home bag is kept at home unless we go on the road. Locally I don't need it as I always take food and water for the day when I go out. Road trips the bag gets checked and supplied with food and water for the trip and any emergencies that could happen. I keep clothes and rain gear in it along with a pair of good boots and a small double walled tent. First aid+ is always in the cars along with tools and some repair parts. Once the bag is stocked it goes in the back seat and we are off. I have no job away from my property and this is also my bug-out location with a back-up about 300 miles away. The backup BOL is a last resort because at 5000 feet you don't have much of a growing season. While game is plentiful it would quickly disappear in any real emergency.

Last summer I emptied my BOB. I was preparing it to use for a 3 day camping trip. I set up this 3 day Condor Pack 4 years ago. The Daytrex was still good. What really got me when I looked at the contents was how much my Survival priorities had Matured. When I looked at the contents, I was like "WTH was I thinking". I kept taking stuff out of it not remembering it was in there. I kept the Daytrex, 5 ways to make fire, two High end ways to stop massive bleeding, Plastic poncho, Life Straw and my 20+ year old 8x40 Stieners, but the rest of it had to go. I figure it got at least 20lbs lighter I learned that I need to re assess my BOB every 6 months. I think my error was that my BOB was set up as a 125 mile GHB that I carried with me at work before I retired(from that agency) 3 years ago. Im Bugged In, so my Pack got put in one of my Prep storage rooms and forgotten. Now who says any of us wont need to Bug Out from our Bug Out location in a hurry?
My current GHB is a smaller 511 pack. With the Kind of work I do now(I got bored being retired), getting home, no matter what happens, wont be a problem.

Latest posts

Back