Chicken hatching chicks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smalltimefarmer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My hen is sitting and so far has hatched one chick. I went to check and there was an egg and a chick that has loosened all the shell, but didn't make it out. I picked it up an it was cold so I was taking it to garbage and suddenly it's mouth opened a couple of times. I put it under the mom.

This afternoon I went back in and a baby was laying in the cage not moving, I picked it up and it started yelling. I put it back too.

I guess I will see in the morning if they made it.

I have an incubator and tried it a few months ago. I didn't think it would be that good but it hatched 11 of 12. I cave them away So if I really need more I can use it.

I just hate the separation then acclimation of the chicks. It's so simple if they hatch their own. Already welcomed into the flock.

My wife has the whole incubator set up, and has hatched them out in our spare bedroom.
When she has done this she kept them until they were a few weeks old, and then introduced them to one of the flocks.
The trouble with doing it yourself is often you get a bunch of roosters. Since we raise them as layers and not broilers this is not good.
Murray McMurray Hatchery is our go to source.

When I lived in ...bush... we had a good size incubator.. About 120 or so eggs per batch.. We also had silky hens that would set in a hot minute.. Problem was they were prone to give up at the slightest disturbance and didn't hatch a very good percentage.. I had a significant problem with predators and letting hens set would not keep up the flock numbers without the incubator..

Latest posts

Back