Chili

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oh my do I love a good chili.
But unfortunately because of my beef allergy the only chili for the past cupla decades I have been exposed to is the concoction that I make with turkey.
Iffunz you want to see a collection of good cooking recipes go and find
Cowboy Kent Rollins .

In far north frozen Canada the local ...arts people.. would make pottery soup bowls.. Sell the bowls for $20 donation and you could sample and vote on the best chili made by the contest entrants... All this as the fund raiser for the local arts community..

I knew a guy originally from Mexico who worked at the local library.. The chili he made was the best I ever tasted.. No one or very few there knew much or anything about chili other than store shelf canned.. Some recipes even had corn or lima beans.... Insert retch smiley here... Poor buggers...

Generally I like beans in chili. Sometimes I will mix No Bean chili with refried beans to make burritos.

A crazy but true story about the best chili I ever had. In my old neighborhood I lived on a cul-de-sac. On Halloween eight or ten of the families would gather at the end of the cul-de-sac and set up a buffet table with candy, so the kids could just come to the end of the street and not have to go door to door. It was as big a party for the adults as it was for the kids. We all had coolers and "No Worries" we were all walking home. One year everybody brought a couple of cans of chili and we combined all of them in a pot. Heated over an open fire. Probably at least six different brands. Best chili I ever had. Impossible to recreate because nobody really knew what went into it.

Timely thread. I'm making chili tomorrow or maybe even later today. If I'm in a hurry I'll just make the chili from a store bought packet and add in the tomato sauce as instucted, but I also add a can of kidney beans or chili beans too. I love beans in chili! I'll be making my moms recipe (which really isn't a recipe since nothing is measured out). I'm using up some elk meat burger that was gifted to us. I forgot it was in the freezer until I needed to make room for venison.

The weekend's menu will be chili with bread stix and apple crisp for desert.:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back