Christmas Cheer!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw something that made me think a Christmas thread would be nice. I am not sure if everyone celebrates Christmas, but this is an opportunity to share your "winter holiday" traditions. Photos would be great to share here.

Share Christmas stories, music, videos. Tell us about your Christmas traditions. Share anything you want that is about Christmas.

We have a cookie baking day with all the grandkids It's a madhouse, but fun. Everyone teams up with a little and goes at it. Some candies are made, too. I have a bunch of cookie tins so everyone brings home a bunch. We're doing this on the 15th this year. Christmas eve is always prime rib. A smaller group of us. The younger grandkids here open one present. The diehard adults stay up drinking and talking. If you drink too much you spend the night. Last year we did family church that my husband led, instead of going to service. (obviously before the drinking). And husband reads the Night Before Christmas for anyone interested. Christmas morning....big breakfast, stockings (even for adults). Lots of grandkids and our kids. Open presents. I start a big dinner around lunchtime...turkey, ham, sides. Lunchtime is just snacks. I spend half my day telling the kids to take it outside and lay off all the sugar. We eat early. Then husband and I disappear for quiet time.

When I was growing up, the Methodist Church we attended had a Christmas eve service around 11 p.m. with lit candles for parishioners to hold, sharing the light, candle to candle. I've been looking for that type of service for years. Maybe churches don't do that anymore. I've looked for Catholic churches offering the same, can't find. I think it is a time when most people would want to go to church and it would get too crowded, so maybe they don't do it anymore either.
It's all in your own heart or spirit, ya know? It's how you feel about it as you reflect on the representation of what we are celebrating.
Things and circumstances in families change and I've been struggling to nail down some family traditions. Remembering what the kids want is more important than whether I feel like doing this or not. Put up the stockings I made, the tree, decorations Grandma made, teddy bears. Make cookies and breads. Share them with others. Visit those who are living alone. We've gone caroling with others and delivered a plate of cookies to those we're singing to.
Where I grew up snow was always considered a part of the Christmas scene, I miss that here.
Going to a holiday concert is fun, best if it's free, lilke the one we found last year. Start looking now for good opportunities to hear an orchestra. So much power from all those instruments!

Latest posts

Back