Christmas Dinner.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here in the North of the Southern hemisphere it's HOT and wet hence the reason why our summers are called the Wet Season.

Some die hards sit down to the Australian traditional roasted meal with all the sides and others sit down to a
mixed table of cold salads, sides, cold seafoods, cold cuts, legs ham and they keep the hot foods to a few side dishes.

This year because of my stomach and having to watch my diet I can't eat as much as I want and what I want.
I normally put a leg of lamb in the slow cooker along with root veggies, have a big bacon and egg breakfast and then graze on seafood until the lamb is done.

This year I can't.

So I'm thinking I'll go for a single slice of avocado toast with vegemite, avocado and chopped tomato for breakfast.

2 sandwiches for lunch -
Sand crab and kewpie mayo on the softest, fluffiest white bread I can find.
prawns and kewpie mayo.

I want to roast some fresh salmon tilll medium rare with a few scallops and fresh asparagas with lemon juice, capers and dill.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit all this in but I'll try.

What are you having for Christmas dinner?

I want to roast some fresh salmon tilll medium rare with a few scallops and fresh asparagas with lemon juice, capers and dill.

That sounds good.

Seafood for Christmas sounds wonderful.
I gotta ask what is Vegimite? I've heard the term, but have no clue.
No idea what we'll be having. We're off to the inlaws.

Vegimite is made from yeast and it's extremely high in B vitamins and folate.
It's a sandwich spread that is used sparingly and is a staple for kids here in Australia.
You're fed it on toast fingers that we dunked into soft boiled eggs, put into crackers with butter.
Put onto sandwiches with cheese for school lunches.
It's salty and tang like a soy sauce.
It works extremely well with avocado and tomato.

I'm with Pearl here, probably gonna go with ham for Christmas, since I've already had two turkeys this holiday season... well, I'm still working on the pot of homemade soup from the last bird, it's good but I don't think I wanna do three turkeys over the holidays, lol. Two good-sized birds are enough, so ham it is! I like those spiral-cut, honey-glazed hams, or the ones with brown sugar, those are tasty! All the usual trimmings, of course... :D

Last edited:
Bushel of steamed oysters dipped in hot pepper vinegar while eating. Brussel Sprouts sauteed in bacon fat until the outside is crisp starts to burn with bacon chopped up. Hard Crab Stew (Blue Crab in a pot of potatoes, onions and dumplings cooked down). Yeast rolls.

Latest posts

Back