Cinna Bons

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 55

Just a Drifter
Neighbor
So, since I don't have a lot to do these days I made some cinnamon rolls for breakfast yesterday. Left them in the pans in the fridge overnight and the wife tossed them into the oven in the morning.

Turned out very good! The only change I would make next time would be to cook and cool the brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. The filling was just a tad grainy. Another thing might be to make them bigger like their namesake...

I made my dough yesterday morning using a sourdough starter, cinnamon rolls last night but they weren't quite ready this morning when I left for work, so they didn't get tossed in the oven till after I got off this afternoon. But hey, they are ready to go in the morning. . .

I’ve not tried sourdough yet but I really want to make the attempt. Done some research but have never taken the chance to actually make any.

@Sentry18 I just eat what the heck I like and feel like eating :D but I don't as a rule eat a lot of things with sugar or preservatives in them so I figure the occasional outbreak is okay.

I have a diabetic Dad, grandparents & uncles who died from diabetes related illnesses and a wife who is absolutely set on making sure I never develop the disease. She can sense when carbs touch my lips from anywhere in the continental US. She never chews me out or gets mad, she just gives me that look of disappointment. Which is considerably worse than the benefit I get from carb-laden food, no matter how wonderful it tastes. As she likes to say "Nothing tastes as good as a long happy life with your wifey feels".

Both of my grandmothers made cinnamon rolls when I was growing up. After my mother died when we were young, she was short of making a dollar or two for us to get SS benefits. With 4 children and 3 adults in the home, we got more than 100 pounds of flour each month in our commodoties. One day a week, grandma would make bread for the week. One part was always at least one pan of cinnamon rolls, sometimes two 9 x 11 inch pans. She made them so that there was a caramel layer on the bottom, which, when turned out of the pan, was on the top. People that I grew up with still talk about coming home with us after school on bread day where we were all allowed to eat as many cinnamon rolls as we wanted.

My other grandmother also made cinnamon rolls, and hers were probably a better quality of dough. She always called hers "sinner rolls."

I’ve not tried sourdough yet but I really want to make the attempt. Done some research but have never taken the chance to actually make any.
Its super easy and we like the sourdough better than the traditional yeast. Although I have noticed that I need to use less flour in them when its cooler outside. They don't want to rise like normal and are heavier when eating instead of nice fluffy like they usually are, so I cut back about a half cup. I keep the sourdough starter in the fridge so its ready to go whenever I need to make bread. I send a batch to work with hunny every week cause his boss man loves them.

@Sentry18 you have a wonderful wife that cares and looks out for you by the sounds of it and that is beautiful. Yes you do have to watch what you eat if you have a significant history of diabetes in the family.

DH's father had type 2 diabetes from his shocking diet as amongst other things he drank 3lts of coke a day which is enough to send anyone into a sugar frenzy. I also watch what DH eats as a result of that and he puts on weight really quickly if he eats anything with sugar in it as he is not able to exercise as much as most due to his back injuries.

In my family we have no history of any diseases apart from my father who had really high blood pressure. Again it was diet related as he loved eating anything that was fried and a green vegetable never touched his lips.

For me it is just eat anything in moderation and incorporate lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and juices. Rather than eating that family block of chocolate have 2 or 3 pieces instead for instance.

Latest posts

Back