City Scenarios

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ok yall Zach was asked to do this and is going to be doing this series.here is #1.i would add to what he has said read to include writings of SELCO.

“We ain’t got no booze.” Funny.
A lot of the older homes in cities were made into apartments since families became smaller and the houses were too big.
Someone, was it you, @elkhound ? posted a thread here years ago that contained videos with interviews of the people of Sarajevo and how they learned to survive in their collapse.

I lived in a house that was made into 5 apartments, shared bathroom and shared kitchen, back in the early 1990s before I remarried.
only 2 of us actually cooked the others lived on take away's.
we had the electricity turned off one christmass as the landlord hadnt paid the bill-although we had contributed to it.

“We ain’t got no booze.” Funny.
A lot of the older homes in cities were made into apartments since families became smaller and the houses were too big.
Someone, was it you, @elkhound ? posted a thread here years ago that contained videos with interviews of the people of Sarajevo and how they learned to survive in their collapse.

i dont know but it could have been...i just dont recall.

Like, this one: A Year In Hell
and @Hardcalibres said it was more a work of fiction but what if it wasn't. Hi Hardcalibres
Consider the cities in Ukraine, Israel...Turkey, Syria, forgotten places in Africa. We are so clueless to what is really going on. Haiti. The lawlessness, rampant corruption, and violence in many places is almost beyond comprehension. And to be prepared for that in America.

Long-LONG ago I was on a tiny "Prepping/Survival" forum owned and started by Ferfal there was a total of eight of us. It was a fun and educational forum. This was around 2002.

i am not saying anything else concerning selco. i dont want to derail this thread..its up to everyone to read or listen to various sources then decide for themselves what they want to do if they stay in a city.

history is filled with stories of cities under siege.

I haven't seen Ferfal in a while. Maybe I don't go where he appears.
Start here: Ferfal Argentina social collapse - Bing

On his forum, he was not big on AR-15 TYPE Rifles. He was big on quality handguns, and related handgun skills. And clearing any brush around you homes doors. Things still functioned, but danger was everywhere, especially kidnapping.

Last edited:
and @Hardcalibres said it was more a work of fiction but what if it wasn't. Hi Hardcalibres
I have read credible and detailed analyses of some of the Selco anecdotes that suggested those stories were at least partly fiction.

I have read actual posts from Selco recommending that fake Rolex watches were a good trading item in a severe crisis......some of his other advice was also about as questionable/odd.

Most people would assess that selling anyone anything fake in a WROL environment would be unwise.....and you could also ask why anyone would be buying a Rolex fake or real during a severe crisis.

It is also worth noting that the Balkans have been in turmoil for centuries because of the people there.....including Selco....... if he is real. Maybe that should be included in any assessment of his judgement.

On the web, people need to be discerning about what advice they chose to follow.

Start here: Ferfal Argentina social collapse - Bing

On his forum, he was not big on AR-15 TYPE Rifles. He was big on quality handguns, and related handgun skills. And clearing any brush around you homes doors. Things still functioned, but danger was everywhere, especially kidnapping.
I have read FerFal posts on the SB where he said that the only preps that matter are a handgun, a passport and a backpack full of cash.

That didn't seem like good advice to me.......

For anyone who wants to verify that, he posted that in an exchange with @Aerindel who is also a member here.

Eyewitness accounts of actual crises are always interesting.....but that doesn't mean the eyewitness actually can provide good advice......especially in a nation (like Argentina and former Yugoslavia) full of people who brought that calamity down upon themselves.

Last edited:

Anyone who's spent more than an hour in a cardboard city in Africa knows what can be. I didn't need an interpreter to know what was happening on those streets. There but for the grace of God... and it looks we've used ours up.

I've posted before... civilian version of SERE class at 'onpoint tactical'. Good class, good skills to have in chaos. My last day of class was being hunted by professionals for 8hrs in downtown atlanta. That was a hoot!

I have read FerFal posts on the SB where he said that the only preps that matter are a handgun, a passport and a backpack full of cash.
Yep. That was where I stopped taking him seriously

He also didn't believe that there would ever be a situation when you couldn't just fly someplace better. Which IMO....if you can just buy a plane ticket to get out of SHTF, its not much of a SHTF in my book.

Wonder how he did with covid and all the travel bans? Maybe that is why he dropped off the radar. Kinda puts his entire 'brand' in question when his primary prep, turned out to be the very first thing shut down.

I think he suffered from his own version of normalcy bias, and was unable to think about types of disaster that where any different than the one he went through. His experience are valuable, but only up to the point where it ended. His assumptions outside of that I think are foolish to say the least.

He also had zero qualms about just packing up and leaving when things got bad....and was pretty derisive of his own kids, who apparently went back to Argentina to fight the problems, which I found morally.....unappealing.

Latest posts

Back