Clematis

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have had this clematis about 20 years. I have no idea what type of clematis it is, but it is my understanding that the type makes a difference about how it is pruned. Does anyone have any experience with clematis or know about the types or know about pruning them? Clematis.jpg
Clematis.jpg

A white one here. Probably a decade old after it was cut back to the ground level. If I recall, in the fall all dead matter is to be cut away. This one has not had a lot of attention but has a lot of dead material within it. That will be rectified this fall.

2021060.jpg

I have had this clematis about 20 years. I have no idea what type of clematis it is, but it is my understanding that the type makes a difference about how it is pruned. Does anyone have any experience with clematis or know about the types or know about pruning them?View attachment 67820View attachment 67820
I have one that's just like that but much younger. I still have the tag so I'll try to remember to snap a pix, might help identifying it.

The name aboriginal Australians use for their native clemantis means "headache vine". Here in the states I know of 3 species that grow wild, two are escaped ornamentals. All 3 are commonly used to treat migraines.

Our native species is "Clematis virginiana" aka Devils Darning Needles.

Clemantis a  (6).jpg
Clemantis a  (7).jpg

Here is one of the escaped ornamental, I believe from Japan. I don't remember it's name. The other one is also white but has a bloom shaped like yours. I see all 3 quiet often.

Clemantis a  (10)a.jpg

A white one here. Probably a decade old after it was cut back to the ground level. If I recall, in the fall all dead matter is to be cut away. This one has not had a lot of attention but has a lot of dead material within it. That will be rectified this fall.

View attachment 67832
Thank you. Mine has a lot of dead matter, but I am concerned about doing damage to it by over trimming. It makes sense that it gets trimmed in the fall.

As far as pruning... in the wild I've seen where it was run over by logging equipment and still grew the next spring, a tough plant.

Latest posts

Back