Clock Project

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Dad had me looking for something in a closet this afternoon. I found this clock. It was stuck away in a box… I’ve never seen it, not even in the old house demolished by the ’74 tornado. My best guess is 50’s or early 60’s for a date.

It has two clock mechanisms, one is an alarm, an add on. The other drives the time hands.

I’d like to get this running again, sort of looks cool. Anyone know anything about clocks and simple repairs?

Clock 01 (1s).jpg
Clock 01 (2s).jpg

Actually, that clock may not be that old. Clocks with batteries in mechanisms like that have only been around a few decades. The obvious thing would be to make sure it has working batteries.

I believe repairing and maintaining clocks and watches is a dying art. There would have been a time, just a few years ago that I would have given you my uncles address and had you mail it to him. He stayed busy repairing clocks and watches sent to him from all over the US. He is 94 and retired 2 years ago.

Tear down should be fairly easy. Remove the batteries and the hands are either just pushed on to the different shafts or there is a nut that holds them on. If there is no nut just pull the hands straight off the shafts.
Then you remove the mechanism by removing the nut that is under the hands. Look for any screws or rivets that are also there but it would be unusual. Screws just take care with a good fitting screwdriver and rivets you use a drill the same size as the rivet diameter and cut the flared end off. Pull the mechanism away and pull the rivets out.

Latest posts

Back