CODE READERS for diagnosing Vehicle problems. How are they rated.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have been told it is a total waste to spend money for a code reader for my GMC 5500 unless I want to get into the $3,000.00 start point. I have been told the dealerships that work on large trucks have code readers that cost $24,000.00 and up.

Clearly there is a vast difference then the $119.00 reader from retail auto chain box store.
So, what is that difference ?? I am begging you please save me how you have a $63.00 code reader that does everything.

I have been told it is a total waste to spend money for a code reader for my GMC 5500 unless I want to get into the $3,000.00 start point. I have been told the dealerships that work on large trucks have code readers that cost $24,000.00 and up.

Clearly there is a vast difference then the $119.00 reader from retail auto chain box store.
So, what is that difference ?? I am begging you please save me how you have a $63.00 code reader that does everything.
Harbor freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr4s-obd2-code-reader-57663.html

I got one a few years ago that lets me read and reset codes. Mine is a different model so...

Ben

I have been advised that is a waste of money for my truck. If that was the total answer, then the dealerships would not pee away the $24,000.00 for the required code reader.

This is what I am trying to "fully" understand. What does a $24,000.00 code reader have that a $49.00 code reader lacks...???

DH uses them, not me but we have a low level one and he's getting a slightly higher level one soon. I think the one he's looking at is around $100-150. I believe the differences is in the amount of data you get, our low level one can give you codes and clear them but that's it. The high level mechanic ones can tell you exactly how many fractions of a second that a spark plug is off from the other when firing for example. Midgrade will be more specific on the codes so easier to troubleshoot. (I've just gathered this info from watching mechanics on youtube so may not be completely accurate.)

I have been advised that is a waste of money for my truck. If that was the total answer, then the dealerships would not pee away the $24,000.00 for the required code reader.

This is what I am trying to "fully" understand. What does a $24,000.00 code reader have that a $49.00 code reader lacks...???
The one I shared is OBD2.

Figure out what your vehicle uses.

Ben

Figure out what your vehicle uses.

I am wanting to understand the "DIFFERENCE" between a $49.99 code reader and a $24,000.00 reader.

I’m inside for a bit, will try to figure out what brand we use. I usually need to have codes cleared before annual inspection. I know my husband didn’t spend much on it, like less than $100 I think, but that was a few years ago.
Yep, it's nice to clear the codes! Have done that on the side of the road before going for inspection!😁

Just go to the parts store and have them read the codes for you.
They can even reset the check engine light.
I have one I paid $20 for. It gives me the code but it really didn't help much.
The dealer replaced the ECM under my extended warranty and all is good.
How do I get to the store, if the truck does not run. About 100 miles to store.

I have a Scan Gauge 2, there is a Scan Gauge 3 out now. I do not know how they would differ. Looks like just the unit itself and the viewing screen?

I love mine but could not tell you the difference between this $159 unit and the $36k units, sorry.

The SG2 can monitor many aspects of vehicle operation and plugs right into the OBD port. IT will tell you the code and you can clear it, but you have to go online to find out what the code means. I have the little unit right on top of the steering column, so I can glance down and see how the vehicle is running. The 4 ‘views’ I have up are RPM, LOD (Engine Load), MPG (Instantaneous MPG) and Miles to empty.

What year is the truck? Many fixes you don't need a code reader. Just remember, you need fuel, spark and electricity. Does it turn over? Lots of variables before I'd spend money on one of those code readers.
2005 GMC 5500 (it is a 20,000-pound GVW truck) 4X4 (PRE-2007-Emissions Control) 6.6 Duramax 300 HP) DIESEL.

Starts, but will not advance RPM's can feed in a little power, but if attempting to advance to very much RPM's it just stops running/shuts-off. I strongly believe it is a fuel feed problem.

Last edited:
I think we need to start by getting some terminology straight. A code reader does just that, it reads the codes. A very basic code reader will tell you what code told the check engine light to come on. That’s it. Any other info has to come from other sources (repair manuals, internet, ext). As your code readers get better, they can read other codes like from the transmission computer, air bag codes, hvac system and so on.

A scan tool will cost a lot more, but will also do a lot more. As mentioned above, a scan tool will show you things like spark advance (not on your diesel, no spark!) rpm’s, coolant temp, intake air temp, exhaust temp, oil pressure, basically anything the vehicle is doing, it will show you. Now, as you get into better scan tools, they can actually control different components in the vehicle. They can advance or change the timing, open and close the egr valve, control ac blend doors, roll windows up and down, and reprogram onboard computers and even keys/remotes.

All that being said, I think a reader/scanner in the under 200 range is more then enough for most back yard mechanics like me. They will show you enough about what is going on with the engine to help get the vehicle running, but may not do anything for transmission issues or anything else. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back