"COLORED" Canning JARS.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want colors, I want to SEE the contents!!
I think the brown ones are meant to prevent sunlight from degrading the contents.
Witness all of the liquid medications that come in brown glass bottles.
...My nearly empty Robotussin bottle:
IMG_20240420_200253_kindlephoto-952181912.jpg

Last edited:
@Sourdough colored glass filters more sunlight than clear.

I can buy tincture bottles in amber (brown), blue or clear. The colored bottles filter out more of the sun's rays than clear glass. Less sunlight means the contents last longer. So I buy amber bottles. These small bottles have droppers and are ready for use. In normal day to day use they are exposed to sunlight.

Since I put up quarts of tincture sometimes, I've thought about buying amber jars. But the cost isn't worth the result for me. I simply keep my clear jars in a dark room, same results as colored glass jars without $$.

I use the white plastic 30/60ml bottles in my travel kit. They don't break...

Bottles a (3)a.JPG

Last edited:
I have old canning jars from half pint to half gallon. I wouldn’t risk them by canning but most have the glass tops and I have gaskets in case I want to use them for canning. A half pint I keep my cinnamon in. Other sizes get appropriate dry ingredients in them. Half a gallon of dry beans makes enough ham and beans for my large pot. I usually can those beans in quarts but half a gallon wouldn’t be too much for a fast meal.

I even have a couple gallon jars but they are regular size and I keep zinc lids on them.

Strange coincidence on the purple colored mason jars. When I purchased this house 9 years ago, we had a bunch of left over paint. So much paint that it covered half a wall in my garage. I wanted to save just a bit of all the paints for touch ups, so I used the purple glass mason jars and poured a quart of each color, marked the top with which room it came from, then stored them all in a dark cabinet in the garage.
Last night, mama wanted a picture re-hung in the bedroom, which left 2 nail holes that needed patching and painting. I found my 9 year old paint in the purple mason jar, gave it a shake, and it was still smooth as silk and color matched exactly.
I know this post is a bit off track from mason jar usages, but darn, I was impressed beyond belief!

I use the amber ones for herbs. I don't see deals on them anymore, but there was a time when they'd get clearanced and could be snapped up for a song.

We used the blue ones with little lights in them for table decorations for my son's wedding - super pretty! And now I've repurposed those jars for decor around the house.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on them for canning - Lord knows regular canning jars cost enough as it is. But that said, in a pinch I'd use my colored canning jars to can if I needed to, even if it looked weird.

I use the amber ones for herbs. I don't see deals on them anymore, but there was a time when they'd get clearanced and could be snapped up for a song.

We used the blue ones with little lights in them for table decorations for my son's wedding - super pretty! And now I've repurposed those jars for decor around the house.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on them for canning - Lord knows regular canning jars cost enough as it is. But that said, in a pinch I'd use my colored canning jars to can if I needed to, even if it looked weird.

I made a bottle tree christmas card one year to send to herb friends. Different size bottles. It didn’t come out very nice. I didn’t have any blue or clear bottles. I was trying to make it look like a candy tree. Still not proficient with the photo editor either, pretty crude work. Art clearly isn't my calling..

(recognize the plant just over the left tree?)

Herby christmas3.jpg

I have seen both blue and purple canning jars.. As I recall they were Mason Ball quality jars.. Only found them at garage sales and thrift stores.. Usually one at a time and 1 liter size.. The only colored half liter, pint, jars I've ever seen had handles on them..
Did not use them for canning.. Used them for dry storage.. Like said, I'm sure there are many herbs and other things that would benefit from colored jars to exclude light..

Latest posts

Back