COMMON HOGWEED – IDENTIFICATION, EDIBILITY, DISTRIBUTION

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
February 27, 2012
Heracleum sphondylium, aka Cow Parsnip, Eltrot.

Heracleum persicum in the middle east, and heracleum maximum in N. America are closely related, and the seeds of these can be used in similar ways to those described below. I’d recommend conducting your own research around uses/safe handling of those particular species.

Common hogweed’s big brother Giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum, also occasionally known as Giant cow parsley, Giant cow parsnip and Hogsbane), which should not be handled or eaten, is also discussed at length below.

Common hogweed is a startlingly delicious vegetable and an amazingly versatile wild spice – my favourite of all edible wild plants in fact. But getting to know and safely eat it is not as straightforward as many other plants on this website. However, if you work your way though all the important considerations below and invest a little time getting to know this plant, I guarantee it will reward you many times over.
  • Edibility – Be sure to read information on safe handling below. I do not recommend eating any part of common hogweed raw.
    • Young shoots, green flower buds florets – cooked – 5/5 – the finest tasting vegetable (wild or cultivated) in the UK in my opinion!
    • Seeds – 4/5 – pickled when green or used as a spice, especially when dried. More on these here.
    • Mature leaves – 1/5 – Generally best avoided, but there is a history of fermenting them in E. European countries.
    • Roots – 2/5 – great flavour, but very woody.
  • Identification – 3/5 – one of the easier of the potentially deadly carrot family to ID, but caution still necessary as the tasty young shoots are not fully formed. Learn more about the carrot family and how to develop your ID skills in my Introduction to the Carrot Family for Foragers. And remember – we are talking about common hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium) here – not giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum), which should not be eaten or even handled – please read to the end of this post for detailed pictures of giant hogweed. Care should also be taken when handling common hogweed – see below.
  • Distribution – 5/5 – Very common
  • Season – March – September, seeds can persist on old umbels well into the following year, especially in sheltered locations.
  • Habitat – Verges, hedgerows, field/wood edges, waste ground, rough fields and unkempt gardens. – particularly abundant around the coast, though not specifically a maritime plant

1710388754049.png

I’ve never heard of eating it… John Kallas doesn’t mention it in his book. Sam Thayer mentions it only with warning “contains furanocoumarins” which causes blistering on the skin if exposed to sunlight. A toned down version of it’s nasty cousin… giant hogweed.

The video is somewhere in russia. Who the heck know which plant that guy is eating? Chemically, plants with the same name on different continents can vary greatly.

I’ll also say, this is a very dangerous plant family. 2 of the 5 deadliest species in n.america are very closely related to cow parsnips (Heracleum sphondylium). It’s blooms are almost identical to one of them, water hemlock, and there are 5/6 species of water hemlock in the US, one looks like a vine.

Several other closely related species are good plants to know, edible, medicinal. I don’t think it’s enough to just to know the useful ones, a mistake here is deadly, best know all those carrot/parsley family plants, be sure enough to bet your life on it.

Funny, another closely related parsley is known as Bo’ Hog root. A boost to your libido, male or female. So, make a mistake in the parsley family and you might have a good meal, a great night, or a very painful death! 🤣

If thayer or kallas don’t have a recipe, I’ll pass. :)

"I’ve never heard of eating it… John Kallas doesn’t mention it in his book. Sam Thayer mentions it only with warning “contains furanocoumarins” which causes blistering on the skin if exposed to sunlight. A toned down version of it’s nasty cousin… giant hogweed."

I saw photos of the Giant Hogweed & the blister it makes. In the video the woman does not seem to worry about blisters, maybe it is like Polk & only mature plants can hurt you.
the woman is from
Azerbaijan
It is a part of the South Caucasus region and is bounded by the Caspian Sea to the east, Russia (Republic of Dagestan) to the north, Georgia to the northwest, ...

Attachments

• 1710392938230.png
    1710392938230.png
    215 bytes · Views: 0
It could be like poke, only edible to a point of growth. Makes sense but until i see it written from a trusted source I'll not bother. Besides, i've never seen it.

Good reason for that... this is the usda plant profile page, shows H. sphondylium. Only growing in cold climates and then introduced, canada, new eng and the pnw.

cow parsnips.jpg

I wished I knew more about how to identify wild plants. I am always too worried that I end up with something poisonous to use any . Anyone have a decent photo of what wild ginseng looks like? It is supposed to grow around here and valuable

trying to find edible plant info with out a right there human tutor can be a big challenge, the picture and drawing on the net and in most books suck

Latest posts

Back