Consider preparing for a Black Out or Grid Down situation

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I found this today but I don't know when it actually aired b/c I loathe that lyin' b$#@h! The sound of her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. :mad:
https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/149/657/563/playable/19db98b9b24f2ef2.mp4
They might as well just scream to the illegals to please take down these 9 substations for us! Doesn't it make you wonder what kind of (if any) security there might be around these stations? This warning reminds me of Gates and Fauci stating that there WILL be a pandemic. It's the same ole' song and dance here.....just a different crisis. Which tells me that this WILL happen b/c it's already been planned.

My own utility company has said that they may be relegated to shutting off power to certain people at times to modulate the power grid in light of the green energy mandates. Some places in California have already had this happen. So, that just tells me that this IS going to happen one way or the other. Although, I think it's going to be sooner rather than later, and likely without any pre-warning.

If you are not ready for a grid down situation, it might be a good time to get ready. I hear it's supposed to be a harsh winter, so if nothing else, prepare for it even if it's storms taking out your power. Our system is so fragile right now (for many reasons) that it would be prudent to be ready for it to happen at any time and stay that way for XXXX long? Why am I thinking about the book One Second After right now?🤔

A few suggestions to stock up on: Fuel (gas, kerosine, diesel, propane), generators, coolers, matches, candles, flashlights, rechargable batteries, solar charger, blankets, charcoal, lighter fluid, wood, emergency food, water and filtration, winter clothes/boots, security supplies, etc. We have entire threads about what to stock up on, so revisit those for more ideas.

Last edited:
A few suggestions to stock up on: Fuel (gas, kerosine, diesel, propane), generators, coolers, matches, candles, flashlights, rechargable batteries, solar charger, blankets, charcoal, lighter fluid, wood, emergency food, water and filtration, winter clothes/boots, security supplies, etc. We have entire threads about what to stock up on, so revisit those for more ideas.
Yes, as preppers, these are things we should have been collecting all along whenever we see them at yard sales, thrift stores, on sale, Craigslist, Nextdoor or Facebook marketplace.

Some of these things can be gotten for free, if we just pay attention and are willing and able to go collect them. I see firewood frequently, sometimes by the side of the road, sometimes on Craigslist, sometimes on Marketplace, sometimes in neighborhood groups. Sometimes there is not a lot of it, but like many things, a little here, a little there and the next thing you know you have a few cords. Put a few pieces in the back of the car from someone's tree removal. Yes, you can order a few cords of wood, have it split, delivered, and stacked for a fee, if you have the money. If you don't you have the money, you can keep your eyes open for opportunities. They are out there! I saw some firewood today by the road. For those who are not as robust as they used to be, pacing ourselves to do a little here and there gets it done as well.

For those of us who have been prepping for a few days, we know that it takes a little chipping away at the lists.

Dollar tree has candles in glass containers. They used to be $1 each, but the last time I looked, they were $1.25 each. Buy some each month, $5 worth and in a year, you have a bunch.

Buy a little extra food every time you grocery shop and before you know it you will have a well stocked pantry.

When sitting quietly planning to prep for life with no power, most will be thinking 3 to 5 days, some 3 to 5 weeks. The survivors are planning 3 to 5 years.

To survive most forward events, many must relocate, easier to do that a year before TSHTF.

Relocate to where electric power is not needed.

When people are considering grid down, it is important to understand that your challenges will be about 5% "what will I do" and about 95% "what will unprepared people do".

But the further you are away from other people, the easier the challenge of security becomes.

We have all of those things, but it is a good reminder to get even more. We do have a plan for what we would do if the grid went down. In fact we even talked about it this week. My wife may have seen something on TV about a harsh Winter.

A few winters ago we lost power in our area for about 5 days or so. We were one of the only people in our area to stay home. Almost everyone left to go someplace else where there was power. It was kinda nice to be home and there was NO traffic going down the road at all. Actually, it was a little eerie to have complete silence all day long but I could get used to that.

Everything is a little more challenging without power, but we have backups. Activities like washing clothes would be a huge inconvenience as opposed to just throwing stuff in the washer and dryer. Even making coffee in the moring would require a bit of effort (without using the generator), but we have a plan for that too. It would require us to get all of our stuff out and set things up differently. Thinking about it makes me realize how easy and cozy life is with electricity.

Freezers would be one of my major concerns. In the winter it's not such a big deal. I would just toss snow & ice in the freezers or put everything in coolers with snow. If it was a long term outage, I'd start canning it bit by bit. In the summer that would be a huge challenge. We have enough fuel to run the generators for a while but eventually that would run out. Not knowing how long an outage would last would make it difficult to plan. If I knew at the outset that it would last months, I'd start canning right away.

I think one of the biggest challenges would be what other people do. Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face. We have more then enough firewood on our property to last a lifetime. But, what if there was a huge forest fire? What if looters decided that our place was a good place to steal wood or other things? Would I shoot someone over taking wood off my property? Not knowing how long the power would be out would be another challenge. How frugal would I need to be with food and fuel? The unknowns are what concerns me the most but I'm as prepared for it as I can be. I'll let God take it from there.

Funny "coincidence" A transformer blew just up the road at 3:00 AM. There are two substations in my immediate area for all the industry here. There are cameras.

We wouldn't know if the grid went down as we are totally off grid. We also stocked up on fuel (gas, diesel, propane).
We have oil lanterns, rechargable lanterns, equipment for starting fires..etc.
Bring it on!

We'd be OK without electricity, at least for quite a while.

But how would the rest of society do without access to social media? It'd be like a bunch of Borg getting cut off from the collective. It's scary and funny at the same time.

I'd miss not being able to chat with you all, but maybe I'd catch a couple of you on HF.

Bring it on!
While I get the general jist of this, I'm not in the 'bring it on' camp. We'll be fine for a while, but I don't like to see others suffer, and some of those 'others' are people I love. My parents are too old to be able to live off grid long term. They can't move around very well and depend on modern conveniences. I'm too far away to help them in a grid down situation. Sadly, there will be others in the same boat. I think it would hit the elderly and poor the most severely. Even for those who are prepared, someday the preps and fuel will run out. They might survive longer than most, but it still won't be fun.

I have little sympathy for those who have all kinds of fun toys that just didn't pay attention to what the world has come to. Although, I will miss my modern conveniences too......so, no.....no 'bring it on' attitude for me. Would we survive? Yes, I believe so. Would I like it? NO. I know it would suck.

While I get the general jist of this, I'm not in the 'bring it on' camp.

I agree. I'm really not very good at "embracing the suck". Our preps are more geared toward the short term rather than the grid never coming back.

While I get the general jist of this, I'm not in the 'bring it on' camp. We'll be fine for a while, but I don't like to see others suffer, and some of those 'others' are people I love. My parents are too old to be able to live off grid long term. They can't move around very well and depend on modern conveniences. I'm too far away to help them in a grid down situation. Sadly, there will be others in the same boat. I think it would hit the elderly and poor the most severely. Even for those who are prepared, someday the preps and fuel will run out. They might survive longer than most, but it still won't be fun.

I have little sympathy for those who have all kinds of fun toys that just didn't pay attention to what the world has come to. Although, I will miss my modern conveniences too......so, no.....no 'bring it on' attitude for me. Would we survive? Yes, I believe so. Would I like it? NO. I know it would suck.
Definitely more tongue in cheek, I certainly don't wish it and like @Morgan101 I don't want to embrace the suck either. I enjoy my modern conveniences. I also think I would be holed up at the hospital at least in the short term as it would be an all hands on deck situation and the thought of that just makes me cringe.

..I don't want to embrace the suck either.

..But, Awesome that you's are Prepared-To. :cool: And that's just the thing - 'Embrace the suck' Isn't about "Liking" cold-water showers or cold food or learning to love possum-meat / squirrelsicles, etc, etc - it's (IMO) more about Learning to a) 'retool your Brain' / attitude to not VIEW Grid Down / Off-Grid living AS "suck" - look at it as a Great, Long-Term Adventure / Mind & Body Challenge, like living the way the 'Townsends' demo.. 🤔 Ergo: the way our Grandparents / Great-Grandparents Did.

..and b) Preparing, and Practicing (to a Reasonable, yet Actual / worthy degree - Really Test your 'preps' / fortitude / Brain-retooling / MacGuyvering, etc) to actually Do that - so that - it's not a 'shock' or any 'Panic' for Your Family, when it does happen, but rather, just a small, calm 'shift in gears'.

As a Good Friend of all Ours, herein, quips (and Lives) - 'Live Like it Already Happened' - THAT is 'Embracing the suck'. 👍 Congrats on getting ahead of the curve. :cool:

jd

Last edited:
I was thinking earlier about all the things that could or would be affected by a grid down situation.

1. darkness, no light.
2. No water if on a city system or electrical pump
3. No gas, electricity needed to pump.
4. No phone service, especially cell phone, with towers being down
5. No television or radio, unless you have a battery operated one. But then which channels or stations will be able to broadcast?
5. How to fuel your furnace if on a system? If you have propane or woodburning, you will definitely be in better shape. Wood burning will be the one to restock yourself if you are able to.
6. All retail stores are likely to be closed because there will be no light, no working coolers or freezers, and the registers won't be able to work.

What else?

Just spent a long weekend at a small ranch way up a gravel road in past two other places. Several wall tents, tiny cabins and a sheepherders wagon scattered about here and there. A year round stream flows thru it, two mules with wagons and other horse drawn implements, 15 chickens etc etc. throw another log in the woodstove and who has midnight watch. Time to find a pace, there is a storm coming.

Latest posts

Back