Contemplating what to do after retirement

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I work until I'm eligible for my full pension, I won't retire until 2039, aged 67. I'm not even worried about it yet...

One thing I've noticed about retired people, they seem to be happiest if they keep working a little bit. Might only be 15 hours a week, but I think that having that job to do is important. At least, it is for younger retirees, who still have relatively good health.

My pops was a farmer and rural mail carrier. He "retired" from farming at 65 and then unretired the next year and did both until 70. Then my brother took the farm over and pops became the hired man. He said he never enjoyed farming as much before, because he just had to do what he was told and didn't have to take the financial risks any more. He finally "re-retired" at age 84. But he still likes to get on the tractor now and then. I'd like my retirement to be like his - but I only want to work the hours I choose to work, for as long as I choose to work those hours...

When I started working I was happy getting $1.15 an hour. I ended up doing 15 years as a grease monkey/fleet mechanic and realized that my back wasn't going to carry me to retirement. I took classes at the Community College, eventually went to the University at 30. Changing careers at 30+ is not a way to get rich. I figure I will pay off my student loans the same year I retire. However, my going back to school with kids did set an example for them (they all went to college) and I hope they are better off than I am when they reach my age. We try to live inexpensively and save whenever we can. I do not expect a plush retirement. I hope to be able to tinker, work in the garden, and hunt. I have spent a lot more money this year than I would like, but with the wife's health being so poor, I figured if it makes her happy for a while it was money well spent, even if I have to work a year extra to pay for it.

The lessons I have learned are:
It is never too early (or too late) to start planning for retirement, early sacrifices can pay back big, starting later requires bigger Sacrifices
Avoid temptations to spend your retirement early, it is hard to rebuild.
Be flexible, life can be as stable as a trailer house in a tornado. I prefered to have plans A-E, and often that wasn't enought

Last edited:
I am hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn't another oncoming train. Good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise I have about one more year; then I will be one bad day away.

I have been working for 55 years, and for the lion's share of that it has been two jobs, and I still work two jobs now. If I ever retire I will keep the part-time job as mad money. After that I think I will take a rest. Hope to spend a lot more time at the range shooting both guns and golf. I would like to travel especially to the Gulf and Atlantic beaches, but that remains to be seen. I would love to travel to every major league Baseball park, but that is a pipe dream.

A recent retiree was having Morning coffee with his wife. She asked him "What are you going to do today?" He said "I am going to sit on the porch and rock." She said "You did that yesterday." He said "Well I wasn't finished."

I've got at least 5 years left before I'll get to. Well short of a disability anyway.
We do plan to travel to some national parks and other places. Maybe do a big long trip out west to kick it off. After that mostly fishing, hiking, and gardening with a trip thrown in here and there.

You rving staying in motels?

Depends on many variables Meer. I'd like to RV, and if gas prices stay as they are now it's highly likely to go that way. But gas at $3 and around 10 mpg would be way to expensive. Motels while on the road, then a small cabin, or lodge at a given location isn't a bad way to go. We've even stayed in motels while towing the camper to give more time to travel thru the day and get to our destination faster.

Depends on many variables Meer. I'd like to RV, and if gas prices stay as they are now it's highly likely to go that way. But gas at $3 and around 10 mpg would be way to expensive. Motels while on the road, then a small cabin, or lodge at a given location isn't a bad way to go. We've even stayed in motels while towing the camper to give more time to travel thru the day and get to our destination faster.
I understand plus the lack of vacancys now at camp grounds is another problem.

That and knowing whether your camper actually fits their sites. Not a problem when we had a pop up, but we got a 5th wheel a few years back with a slide out. It don't work right just anywhere. Trees in a poor spot can be a BIG problem.

That and knowing whether your camper actually fits their sites. Not a problem when we had a pop up, but we got a 5th wheel a few years back with a slide out. It don't work right just anywhere. Trees in a poor spot can be a BIG problem.

Thats true too. Those travel trailers are nice but limited on places to park them. I got so use to tents and vans I don't have that problem but it does take getting use to. Most people don't like it at all. Popups are nice.

They say it's best to not retire. It's a long ways away for me and it's not because I'm a youngster.
How about what to do during retirement, not after? After retirement sounds so...final.

We bought a big motorhome and I get 5 to 6 MPG. With gas prices where they are it's cheaper for me to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants.
A full hookup in a premier spot can cost over $100 a night.
I can stay in State campgrounds free but I have to make reservations in Oct. for next year.
I am really wanting to sell that thing but my wife is not yet on board with that.
We haven't been able to go camping at all this year and I don't see the opportunity coming anytime soon.

We bought a big motorhome and I get 5 to 6 MPG. With gas prices where they are it's cheaper for me to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants.
A full hookup in a premier spot can cost over $100 a night.
I can stay in State campgrounds free but I have to make reservations in Oct. for next year.
I am really wanting to sell that thing but my wife is not yet on board with that.
We haven't been able to go camping at all this year and I don't see the opportunity coming anytime soon.
Whoa, $100 for a campsite? Must be solid gold toilets in the shower house.

Around me, electric campsites go for $18-$25 a night at county parks and State Parks. I can't imagine paying tens of thousands for a big luxurious RV, then having to pay a hundo every night I use it...

Latest posts

Back