COOKING "TURKEY" question.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Is there any way to cook turkey other than slow roasting..?? I one tried frying turkey breast and it was hard as dry leather.

You can do anything you do with chickens, with turkey.
Sounds like you are leaving the turkey in the oil to long.
It should be crispy skin on the outside & moist meat on the inside.

debone it ad run it through the grinder. if no grinder..debone cut in small section/chunks and dip in flour and egg and quick fry in the pan...or you can leave off egg/flour and just cut it in thin strips and 'stir fry ' it.

I think it depends on how you are wanting it and what parts. White meat, best in butter can tolerate a little more heat if sautéing. If frying I would check grease temp. Dark meat, a little lower heat for a little longer. The test for poultry is: it’s done when it’s not spongy when pressed with a fork. (If that makes sense via internet).

Of course roasting it. But I cook alot of turkeys, and sometimes I cut the meat off the bones (raw) and boil it. Then boil the carcass for more meat and broth. Or cut the meat off and run it through a hand grinder. If it's a fresh kill, I chill it for a few days to let the meat settle before cutting and cooking. It's also good cut and chunked, then set in spices of your choice, and put on a stick with veggies for shishkabob.

Breast meat is always dry but can be cooked to be more moist. It can be injected
Are you cooking a whole turkey? Or are you cooking turkey parts?

I know you said you are not roasting it, but if you were to, if you cook it with the breast down, the breast meat will not be as dry. Cooking a turkey in a roasting pan with a lid helps too. They sell roasters that are open.

Something that is very popular is deep frying and people have big pots that they fill with oil and heat over an open flame on special cookers run by propane. You don't want to do that in the house or even too close to
the house. There have been house fires from these.

There are several models available.

turkey fryer.JPG

Cut it in chunks parboil what you think you'll use for an hour, place it in tinfoil with the usual herbs and spices, and grill that bad boy in bacon grease! Saves turkey, and tastes great!

"Tiger Sausage"
Grind and mix well equal parts turkey, home raised goose breast, home raised meat rabbit.. Season with summer sausage seasoning mix, form into a log, about a large banana size.. Wrap in an open top tin foil boat, smoke until a well done internal temp of 180F or so.. Enjoy with tea, crackers, cheese, mustard...

Latest posts

Back