Country Stores

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Country Stores, also know as Mom an Pops
Down here in the South all Country Stores serve a hot lunch
This is what I had today for lunch from
Granny’s Corner
A local favorite roast beef Jambalaya
Fried okra and corn
Desert was a slice of pound cake
73F49848-7EBB-4DF0-968A-84509037A407.jpeg
A599DFEA-7722-4922-8C07-4FF6471F7389.jpeg

Do you have a country store near you?
Do they serve meals?

Last edited:
Last one we had locally went out with the covid. Pity, they had a gyro to die for!
I Hear you
I’m a town called McComb was a gas station called Berts, long gone but memory lingers on
They served a roast beef po boy that would drip gravy down your arm when you ate it, the roast beef cooked in a crock pot all night. Mmmyum yum.

I Hear you
I’m a town called McComb was a gas station called Berts, long gone but memory lingers on
They served a roast beef po boy that would drip gravy down your arm when you ate it, the roast beef cooked in a crock pot all night. Mmmyum yum.
Frodo I hope you don't mind, but kinda thought you might like this based on your comment . It's just a quick read by yours truly. If not, all's well.
https://www.thelocustblossom.com/2018/12/clancys.html

We have only one left here. Named appropriately "Crossroads". They have plate lunches. Always 2 meats, fried chicken or something else. Cornbread, rolls and a side, usually have 2 or 3 sides to pick from. They also have wings/chicken fingers and will cook you a frozen pizza on request.

There was another I always stopped at when I hauled cattle up to Natural Bridge but it got bought out by chain. First thing they did was shut down cooked food, even the short order grill and the breakfast biscuits. They had great biscuits, huge, made by the same lady for 30yrs. I could get egg, cheese, bacon, sausage or chicken fried steak or any combination. Hamburgers from the grill were great if I got there to late for biscuits. I could always count on good food, either driving up or back from the sale barn.

The owner died, kids didn't want the business so they sold out to the Mumbai Cartel. People from India have been buying up all the gas stations around here. Locals started referring to them as the "Mumbai Cartel".

Frodo I hope you don't mind, but kinda thought you might like this based on your comment . It's just a quick read by yours truly. If not, all's well.
https://www.thelocustblossom.com/2018/12/clancys.html
Reminds me of my child hood, The country store where my Hrand Parents lived. It had a table on the porch that always had a game of checkers being played on, next to it was a coke machine where you slid the bottle sideways to take out good memories

Country Stores, also know as Mom an Pops
Down here in the South all Country Stores serve a hot lunch
This is what I had today for lunch from
Granny’s Corner
A local favorite roast beef Jambalaya
Fried okra and corn
Desert was a slice of pound cakeView attachment 101124View attachment 101125

Do you have a country store near you?
Do they serve meals?

There are a few around, but nobody serves anything that looks that good. WOW! 😲

What is close to me is probably closer to a Truck Stop than a Mom and Pop.

We have one that will make a great sandwich or you can have the hot lunch for the day. I really like the bierrocks for lunch, my cousin Mattie works there and makes them. Always pie or whoopie pies for dessert. Tater tot casserole is a favorite hot lunch item, too. Sandwiches are made anytime, but there's only one hot item offered each day. There's a menu put out like the school lunch menu.

I am going to town today and I might stop by my favorite shell station. With some of the best bbq you ever wrapped your lips around pictures coming in a few hours

Just to be clear we southerners know what the secret ingredient in our food is, pee pee has been in our food for years and years we have come to expect it and are upset when it is not added. Lol.

Hey Snappy. Brookhaven, 1 block north of Kings Daughters hwy 51 on the corner, check out that bbq

Last edited:
Before the mom n pop grocery store next door to me burned down, they served a noon meal 6 days a week. In warm weather they'd set a table and a grill out on the sidewalk and do burgers, brats, etc. When it got cold they'd move it indoors and fire up a fryer in the back and do chicken or maybe chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. It was always $6 for the meal...

In North Missouri, nearly every gas station has a pot full of sausage gravy in the morning, next to a tub of biscuits. Grab a tray, get as many as you want, and start scooping gravy all over them. I swear, those hillbillies down there can't read and they've never heard of a dentist, but they can make some good gravy!

There used to be two, each about eight miles from my place. Only one remains since it is positioned to catch the greater Idaho traffic that's headed for the lake or the river.

It's like our version of "corner gas". Except that the weekends are extremely busy? Other times, it's frequent hang out for repeat locals and tellings of exaggerations?

The owners are well known and liked by everyone. He's got firearms license to help get your internet purchase. And they've started a grill that's gotten good review. And a good resource when you need to know something about those folks that know those other folks?

One of the things I plan to build on the homestead is an old fashioned general store. It will serve as a selling point for anything I make or stuff I find cheap to stock shelves with. But, will also serve as my own private store to walk to if we get snowed in and I need to go for some supplies.

Our local store has a small deli with a bunch of kids working in it but still manages to produce great working mans and women's food .
They do their own hams and so once a year they do free hocks and beans as a fund raiser for a charity Three generations can be seen working the store and on holidays the owners family runs the place.
1672833992799.png

Latest posts

Back