Covert camping in a drainage culvert

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ridges in those culverts trap placer gold or any heavy sediments. A creek near me has microscopic placer gold. Specks so tiny i need a magnifying glass to see them. On a hunch... went over in june one year, after spring rains. Filled sandbags which i placed across the lower end of a big culvert.

When the water was about 2ft deep I brought my small dredge over. Sucked up all the sands trapped behind the culvert ridges. Took most of a day to get about $2 in gold. Hey, can't think of a better way to spend a summer day than playing in a creek! and get gold! 😁

Living in one? definitely not anywhere in the south... too many cottonmouths already live there.

Last edited:
The ridges in those culverts trap placer gold or any heavy sediments. A creek near me has microscopic placer gold. Specks so tiny i need a magnifying glass to see them. On a hunch... went over in june one year, after spring rains. Filled sandbags which i placed across the lower end of a big culvert.

When the water was about 2ft deep I brought my small dredge over. Sucked up all the sands trapped behind the culvert ridges. Took most of a day to get about $2 in gold. Hey, can't think of a better way to spend a summer day than playing in a creek! and get gold! 😁

Living in one? definitely not anywhere in the south... too many cottonmouths already live there.
I have to gold machines that will process micron sized gold, the guy that I bought them from showed me vials he processed amounting to one troy ounce each, I asked a gold miner if he had any black sand I could use in those machines, he said that I wouldn't find any gold but I did find a bit, so I know the machines work.

I have to gold machines that will process micron sized gold, the guy that I bought them from showed me vials he processed amounting to one troy ounce each, I asked a gold miner if he had any black sand I could use in those machines, he said that I wouldn't find any gold but I did find a bit, so I know the machines work.

I had black sand from the creek I mentioned. Saved them because I didn't have anything to run them through. A year passed, ran into a guy who had a spiral rig to process them. That's when I learned that creek did have gold in it. I ended up making a rig just for running sands.

A good thing... because micro-gold is in every creek in this part of the state. That's the problem, it's everywhere! It's not concentrated except at a few locations. Like big culverts...

Last edited:
Camp in a culvert.... Not a good idea for me... I do know some people in ...tornado alley... that had a no basement home where they used a length of about 4' culvert covered with dirt and a short sheltering wall at each end as a kind of above ground tornado, storm shelter... They kept a broom at each end to clean out the spider webs as you went in..

I like to watch videos like this.
A toboggan (sled) is something that I have seen people use for transporting goods. Its the kind of thing that you could have and never use for years, but when you want to or need to, it could be a big help.
I wonder about his stove. I have a few small stoves for different fuels, some more for cooking, others for heat. It is interesting how he has the long stove pipe that he can set up to divert the smoke that far out. His blanket baffles may not be 100% for keeping the heat in, but can be a big help for wind.

There is a guy, Steve Wallis, who does lots of camping in strange places. There are a few guys who do videos of going to strange places and making all kinds of odd shelters for camping. I think some of these guys make good money for themselves doing these videos.

Yep - not bad for short term gamma shielding/protection.
Thermal and blast as well.

There is a fluid dynamics principle where the pressure inside an open tube is highly reduced, even when facing a pressure wave because the wave reflects off the wall all around the opening, pressing back and shielding the tube, even though it's open.

It would be a very dire situation if you where that close, but your odds would be significantly better than in the open. Use the 20 minute window between detonation, and fallout onset, to pile up rocks, etc in the ends of the culvert....and then hunker down for even just 24 hours and you've reduced your radiation exposure hundreds fold.
I think it is worth keeping in mind. Having a few good preps in the car for such situations could be really helpful as well.

I always have a 'ditch bag', 'get home bag' etc in my vehicles.

Latest posts

Back