Covert "Highly Classified" Signaling for your GROUP.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So, what does your group/FAMILY do to not communicate while communicating.

Relative to prepping

I have a few code words/phrases and body language signals with my wife for certain things- like when one of us makes the decision to leave a place discreetly or when we need a private aside- or when one of us wants the other to interject on the others behalf etc.

We're a team and such signals are like cheat codes socially.

Also, having taken my wife hunting a few times and hiking/camping extnesively we have a few other pieces of sign language for coordinating movements and communicating without sound.

The initial post in this thread might be considered "not communicating while communicating". I can't be the only one who doesn't understand it. I think I might, maybe, have half a potential guess at a clue of what you theoretically could possibly be eluding to. But I can't say for sure.
It is one half minute, or more, after TSHTF. Someone you know is walking up your driveway, you know them, you love them as family or not.

Name 100 ways you can both communicate, clearly & covertly from the eyes and/or ears of any other human.

If the person you love is walking up your driveway how do, they communicate duress. That they are bringing danger or death to everyone in the dwelling...???

There are dozens sometimes hundreds of ways to communicate.

It is one half minute, or more, after TSHTF. Someone you know is walking up your driveway, you know them, you love them as family or not.

Name 100 ways you can both communicate, clearly & covertly from the eyes and/or ears of any other human.
There is NO communication, the best they can hope for is being ignored. The worst is cooling to ambient temp.

There is NO communication, the best they can hope for is being ignored. The worst is cooling to ambient temp.
I disagree. "BUT" it all must be set-up long before SHTF.

How do you leave the home, leaving "NO" note........but communicate where you are.......???

The "HOW" does not matter. Could be any of hundreds of ways.

Last edited:
How do you leave the home, leave "NO" note........but communicate where you are.......???
Now I see what you're asking. We don't pre-communicate like you're getting at. If I'm not home when the wife gets here, she just calls me and asks where I am. If she doesn't put her phone on speakerphone, nobody else is going to hear the location I tell her.

I do have an app on my phone, "Glympse", that can track my location in real time. It will provide a tracking link to anyone I want and they can view my location and history (the last bit of it) with a web browser. They can also track me more simply by using the Glympse app themselves. But that would mean they'd have to install it on their phone. When my wife is as work, and I decide to go for a walk, I use this app to notify my wife. If she gets home and doesn't find me there as expected, she can look at the Glympse to see my last location, and drive over there to pick up my carcass. Glympse is great for a family at the zoo or some other large venue. You start up a group Glympse, everybody attaches to it, and you can all view each others location on a map simultaneously.

Is this the kind of stuff you were asking about in your initial post that started this thread?

Do you mean something like this?
NO........I mean something like, you blow your nose, but you don't put the handkerchief away. You carry it in your left (Means something or carry it in your right hand means something different).

You moved the ashes of a loved one, which are always in the perfect center on the fireplace mantle. You move them to far left means....???? move them to the far......right means.....??? You take the ash container down and put it on the kitchen counter, or the coffee table. Etc. Etc.

Now I see what you're asking. We don't pre-communicate like you're getting at. If I'm not home when the wife gets here, she just calls me and asks where I am. If she doesn't put her phone on speakerphone, nobody else is going to hear the location I tell her.

I do have an app on my phone, "Glympse", that can track my location in real time. It will provide a tracking link to anyone I want and they can view my location and history (the last bit of it) with a web browser. They can also track me more simply by using the Glympse app themselves. But that would mean they'd have to install it on their phone. When my wife is as work, and I decide to go for a walk, I use this app to notify my wife. If she gets home and doesn't find me there as expected, she can look at the Glympse to see my last location, and drive over there to pick up my carcass. Glympse is great for a family at the zoo or some other large venue. You start up a group Glympse, everybody attaches to it, and you can all view each others location on a map simultaneously.

Is this the kind of stuff you were asking about in your initial post that started this thread?
Sorry.......no cell phone service or electric.

The loved family member coming up the driveway wants to communicate that they were captured, and there are four bad people covering him/her.

NO........I mean something like, you blow your nose, but you don't put the handkerchief away. You carry it in your left (Means something or carry it in your right hand means something different).

You moved the ashes of a loved one, which are always in the perfect center on the fireplace mantle. You move them to far left means....???? move them to the far......right means.....??? You take the ash container down and put it on the kitchen counter, or the coffee table. Etc. Etc.

We have zero setup for anything like that. I cannot imagine any need for it. Even if we wanted to do this, it wouldn't work in our house. Even coming home from the grocery store, as we look around, we wonder if someone broke in and ransacked the place. Then we conclude, "No, this is the way we left it." It would have to be something ridiculously obvious to work in our house. Like parking the truck in the living room.

We have no secret communication plans at all. It will be interesting to read here if others do.

It will be interesting to read here if others do.
This is the second or third time I have started this thread subject on this forum.

I have always wanted to learn American Sign Language. I thought that would be great to have as we age and maybe start having some hearing difficulties. Or to communicate at a distance in a noisy environment. But the wife has no interest in learning ASL, and I don't know anyone with hearing loss that knows ASL (just a bunch of old friends that won't admit that they have hearing loss!) So I wouldn't have anyone to converse with. I doubt I'll ever get around to learning it.

ASL might be good for Sourdough's proposed scenario. It would not be "covert" - the bad guys would know that you were communicating - but chances are high that they would not know what you were saying in those communications.

I have always wanted to learn American Sign Language. I thought that would be great to have as we age and maybe start having some hearing difficulties. Or to communicate at a distance in a noisy environment. But the wife has no interest in learning ASL, and I don't know anyone with hearing loss that knows ASL (just a bunch of old friends that won't admit that they have hearing loss!) So I wouldn't have anyone to converse with. I doubt I'll ever get around to learning it.

ASL might be good for Sourdough's proposed scenario. It would not be "covert" - the bad guys would know that you were communicating - but chances are high that they would not know what you were saying in those communications.
To aircraft "drivers" ASL = Above Sea Level.

I use these water proof match containers for several purposes. I just bought some more of them last week. I posted them in prep update thread. Another use occurred to me at the time, clandestine messages.

They are water proof making them ideal for leaving submerged messages. Tie on a piece of fishing line and a rock. Toss them a fishing hole or any prearranged location in a creek or pond. Or leave one in a stump hole in the woods… anywhere in nature.

They are available on sites with hunting/camping gear. Have a rubber O-ring on the cap.

20240202_166757a.jpg

We have already decided who the door gets opened for.

I do know of one clear and covert communication that would happen if an uninvited stranger were to approach a group I am in (be that with family or close friends) ... If any one person in that group were to draw and point their firearm at that stranger, everyone else in the group would follow up by drawing and pointing their gun at that stranger too. We wouldn't ask why or require an explanation, we'd just trust the judgement and motivation of the group member who drew first. Trust can be a form of silent communication. We have never discussed or planned out this scenario, but I know it would happen spontaneously. People tend to hang out in groups that think the same way they do.

I know if I were to try the "blow your nose then put the handkerchief in your left pocket" signal trick, the only reaction I would get is "Ewww! You're gonna wash that nasty thing yourself! Why don't you use a disposable Kleenex like everyone else?"

i live sort of on the side of mountain, theres around10 homesteads up here adn we all know one anther, get along well, help each other out. good folks. one is an old retired marine from VN era --a sargent-drill sargent,a. not sure but he has that voice ya know? lol

one summer ay a group cook out he gave everyone this loud air horn thing--its small, fits in your hand. and he had a chart with everyones name on it with a code. certain # of short or long blasts was each homes code ID. he said when things get bad and if or when someone needs help they blast the air horn their code. everyone is to respond with their air horn to answer back so they know people are coming.

we even had a test day where everyone blasted their horn with their code to make sure everyone could hear it.
you need to either stand outside or hold it out a window but everyone could hear each blast and responded.

if there was gunfire everyone would hear it but it would help knowing exactly which location, or a fire or something when needing others help .
this is meant for grid down, no phones, internet etc.
everyone also has some hand held radios--he wants for us all to get together and talk about security and stuff for the area and have some plans ready. . very interesting guy.

I know what you mean, but I think some are missing the idea. I think it would be helpful to give some examples that could be more generic, such as the example given of blowing your nose and putting your handkerchief in a particular place.

A good, serious discussion in advance about what to do it and when X happens is important. Maybe all of us have been in discussions where we communicated to someone something, like leaving, and were blown off or completely dismissed, because the other person didn't get what we got about the situation.

I have nothing like this set up. Daughter and I did have discussions when she was young, about if something happens, she needed to hide. The one time she needed to hide, she did. It was in the room where she was at the time so the location was some place that she had to choose. It was a good one, quick and out of sight. I didn't need to prompt her or anything. She understood the seriousness of the situation and responded just as she needed to without prompting.

I have often wished that there were some ideas out there for best practices for reactions when X happens. For instance, I have an idea of where I would go if the need to bug out happened. How would daughter and I communicate that we had passed by X pre-identified locations? A set of plastic bands, like the kind used for marking trees for tapping for sap, or tree removal. Those could be removed though. I've also thought of having a can of bright spray paint in our BOB's so that when we pass X, we can spray an X or O or some pre-identified mark.

Lots of ideas here in the link I shared below, covering 11 different ways to communicate. I'm not going to copy and post all of them, but you can look and see the possibilities.

This does not cover emergency or urgent situations, but is more about how we already communicate without talking or using words. We can certainly work with this and develop ways together to communicate with each other.

I think that as a group we could develop ideas. Covert? The possibility of me needing to have covert behavior around someone in Alaska is not likely. We CAN share ideas here and still be covert.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/relationships-communication/nonverbal-communication.htm

COMMUNICATION

Nonverbal Communication and Body Language​

Your facial expressions, gestures, posture, and tone of voice are powerful communication tools. Here’s how to read and use body language to build better relationships at home and work.

What is body language?​

While the key to success in both personal and professional relationships lies in your ability to communicate well, it’s not the words that you use but your nonverbal cues or “body language” that speak the loudest. Body language is the use of physical behavior, expressions, and mannerisms to communicate nonverbally, often done instinctively rather than consciously.

Whether you’re aware of it or not, when you interact with others, you’re continuously giving and receiving wordless signals. All of your nonverbal behaviors—the gestures you make, your posture, your tone of voice, how much eye contact you make—send strong messages. They can put people at ease, build trust, and draw others towards you, or they can offend, confuse, and undermine what you’re trying to convey. These messages don’t stop when you stop speaking either. Even when you’re silent, you’re still communicating nonverbally.

In some instances, what comes out of your mouth and what you communicate through your body language may be two totally different things. If you say one thing, but your body language says something else, your listener will likely feel that you’re being dishonest. If you say “yes” while shaking your head no, for example. When faced with such mixed signals, the listener has to choose whether to believe your verbal or nonverbal message. Since body language is a natural, unconscious language that broadcasts your true feelings and intentions, they’ll likely choose the nonverbal message.

However, by improving how you understand and use nonverbal communication, you can express what you really mean, connect better with others, and build stronger, more rewarding relationships.

The importance of nonverbal communication​

Your nonverbal communication cues—the way you listen, look, move, and react—tell the person you're communicating with whether or not you care, if you're being truthful, and how well you're listening. When your nonverbal signals match up with the words you're saying, they increase trust, clarity, and rapport. When they don't, they can generate tension, mistrust, and confusion.

If you want to become a better communicator, it's important to become more sensitive not only to the body language and nonverbal cues of others, but also to your own.

Nonverbal communication can play five roles:​

• Repetition: It repeats and often strengthens the message you're making verbally.
  • Contradiction: It can contradict the message you're trying to convey, thus indicating to your listener that you may not be telling the truth.
  • Substitution: It can substitute for a verbal message. For example, your facial expression often conveys a far more vivid message than words ever can.
  • Complementing: It may add to or complement your verbal message. As a boss, if you pat an employee on the back in addition to giving praise, it can increase the impact of your message.
  • Accenting: It may accent or underline a verbal message. Pounding the table, for example, can underline the importance of your message.
Source: The Importance of Effective Communication, Edward G. Wertheim, Ph.D.

More to this article.

More from the article:

Types of nonverbal communication​

The many different types of nonverbal communication or body language include:

Facial expressions. The human face is extremely expressive, able to convey countless emotions without saying a word. And unlike some forms of nonverbal communication, facial expressions are universal. The facial expressions for happiness, sadness, anger, surprise, fear, and disgust are the same across cultures.

Body movement and posture. Consider how your perceptions of people are affected by the way they sit, walk, stand, or hold their head. The way you move and carry yourself communicates a wealth of information to the world. This type of nonverbal communication includes your posture, bearing, stance, and the subtle movements you make.

Gestures. Gestures are woven into the fabric of our daily lives. You may wave, point, beckon, or use your hands when arguing or speaking animatedly, often expressing yourself with gestures without thinking. However, the meaning of some gestures can be very different across cultures. While the “OK” sign made with the hand, for example, usually conveys a positive message in English-speaking countries, it's considered offensive in countries such as Germany, Russia, and Brazil. So, it's important to be careful of how you use gestures to avoid misinterpretation.

Eye contact. Since the visual sense is dominant for most people, eye contact is an especially important type of nonverbal communication. The way you look at someone can communicate many things, including interest, affection, hostility, or attraction. Eye contact is also important in maintaining the flow of conversation and for gauging the other person's interest and response.

Touch. We communicate a great deal through touch. Think about the very different messages given by a weak handshake, a warm bear hug, a patronizing pat on the head, or a controlling grip on the arm, for example.

Space. Have you ever felt uncomfortable during a conversation because the other person was standing too close and invading your space? We all have a need for physical space, although that need differs depending on the culture, the situation, and the closeness of the relationship. You can use physical space to communicate many different nonverbal messages, including signals of intimacy and affection, aggression or dominance.

Voice. It's not just what you say, it's how you say it. When you speak, other people “read” your voice in addition to listening to your words. Things they pay attention to include your timing and pace, how loud you speak, your tone and inflection, and sounds that convey understanding, such as “ahh” and “uh-huh.” Think about how your tone of voice can indicate sarcasm, anger, affection, or confidence.

Latest posts

Back