CrocDundee Arrives!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, but all of you need to pay attention "Cats rule dogs drool" although I would agree that Dogs are much better than most people.

Welcome from New Jersey

This is my fur baby.
IMG_2446.jpeg

Yep. I've been an Aussie for...35 years, now. I scratched my head over what I could offer as expertise, here...and...yeah...diesel power generation. Anything you need to know. I guarantee I'll save anyone that needs it, a costly service call every now and then! I've been making my own power ever since I got here. What else can I say? Oh, yeah. Three boys...my treasures. All musicians, like Dad. Newly published author...just getting airplay on a sappy love song, too! BOOMER ROCK! Not to forget: DOGS! I am convinced they are better than people. Sorry if this offends! :thumbs:
Hey big WELCOME to you and Knucklehead ;)
I am very very happy you are here and nothing does offend me !!!
Again Welcome

I'm at the north end of Northern Rivers....
We spent 3 weeks on vacation in Australia, and had a blast!:D
A nutshell version of it is here.
The thread is also informative because it covers the migration of many of us here, when they had to merge the Talk Firearms forum into this one because it was in the crosshairs (pun) of the 'anti-gunners':(.

G'day Mate....
I'm from just west of Lake Superior US.. I also follow the AusPrep forum.. Speak US plains English, north western Canadian English, a little US southern Red Neck, and learning some Aus slang.. Been on both the GOO and Ryman Theater stages.. Before it flooded played mandolin G chords for a guy playing dobro at the Gibson factory next to the GOO..

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. :welcome:

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, you've come to a very good place. Back in 1965 when I got out of the Air Force Australia was wanting people to come there and I considered going but with my love of hiking around the country side, anyhow it's probably a good thing I didn't move there, seeing as all of the wonderful deadly creatures that are there. It's not like we don't have some nasty things around here but ours are fewer and farther between, we seldom see mountain lions, rattlesnakes (which generally let us know when they are around) and I can count the fingers of one hand how many times I've seen bear, anyway it's good to see you here.
Snoikes and oigles aplenty!

Mine aren't noisy...any more. I vent the exhaust into a concrete sarcophagus...for want of a better description. There are three chambers in it...and...it works great. There's a critical residential muffler between that and the genset. If you need a place for parts...these people are gems! FRIDAY PARTS What goes are the throttle solenoids...often. Lightning is not my friend, either. I keep an eye on the weather. If it's gonna storm, I throw the electric feed breaker on the box...put the gen selector swith to zero...the one on the machine goes off, undo the starter battery, pull apart the DC remote start wire. These sets are 66kva CUMMINS.
You need to elaborate more on these, with great pictures too!
If they have CUMMINS engines, they are not toys. :oops:
My only question is: If you run both at the same time, how many other houses are you powering?🤣

You need to elaborate more on these, with great pictures too!
If they have CUMMINS engines, they are not toys. :oops:
My only question is: If you run both at the same time, how many other houses are you powering?🤣
Okay...ya caught me first thing in the morning...so...you get the whole hog on outback power.

Basically...screw everything else. Diesel power is what will provide anything on any sort of large demand.

I never run the both at the same time. For one thing...the selector switch panel (that white box in the pic) only selects one to the left...or, the other to the right...with centre being totally a disconnect. There's also the factory breaker on the machine, itself. Two houses are powered...but...that's when they are on...we do have grid power but it won't pump the water or power the hot tubs. there are 3 phase sets...and...I break the outputs down to 3 separate single phase outlets. IOW, I need to power three hot tubs at a time. We have 9. If we need a 4th...I have to turn on the next 3. Electrically, if you have disparate voltages on each pahse...that ain't too much of a worry. MECHANICALLY is it! It's like removing one of those little lead weight that the tire shop guy used to balance a tire. This will put a microscopic wobble thriough the crankshaft...which will (in time) destroy the crank journals...but...almost straight away...the from main seal will start to leak. Since stationery sets blow out, away from the block...these drips (one drip and hour???) end up in the coolant radiator and the intercooler radiator...dust builds up...clogs them...they lose efficiency...and you get an auto hi-temp shutdown. Cleaning them is the worst job I have to do out here. I spray 4 cans of degreaser into them...pressure spray from the front toward the block...and clean the mess...which is a horrid chore. I put alfoil over the face of the engine so the filth drops down into the tray the whole set is on. I have to scoop that out. Filthy....

Noise? Inside that place...you bet! Ear protectors a must. Outside...not bad. Look at the windows. That's at ground level. I put insuilation...everywhere. Outside...is the sarcophagus...esconsed in thick vegetation that does quiet down the already-quiet exhaust noise. The "noses" of both are shoved into that wall you see. That's a long room...the width of the building but only a yard, deep. The hot air passing by the radiators goes in...hits the brick wall...pressurises that space...and I have it zig-zagging through baffles before it exits. Again...into the vegetation.

Just this morning...in my sleep...I went in and swapped over to the other set because the one that was being using...is due for its 250 hour oil and filter change. That's what I do...back 'n forth...every 250 hours. I also had to put a 700 litre tank onto my ute (Isuzu d/max drop side trayback) so I can get bulk in the next day or two.

We have lots of people coming out for the tubbing and camping. It's clothing optional...but...all 9 tubsites are not visible from the other ones. We advertise at the Swingers Clubs! Funny...people always want to park where their plates can't be seen! Ha! No worries about that...the place is off the beaten path!

Okay...ya caught me first thing in the morning...so...you get the whole hog on outback power.
Basically...screw everything else. Diesel power is what will provide anything on any sort of large demand.

We have lots of people coming out for the tubbing and camping. It's clothing optional...but...all 9 tubsites are not visible from the other ones. We advertise at the Swingers Clubs! Funny...people always want to park where their plates can't be seen! Ha! No worries about that...the place is off the beaten path!
Ok, now we REALLY need photos! :D
On usage, powering 9 hot-tubs explains that.

Ok, now we REALLY need photos! :D
On usage, powering 9 hot-tubs explains that.
Believe me...you DON'T wanna see 99% of these people, nekkid!

BTW...Cummins recommends you run a base load at 80%...so....that's what, 53kva???

53,000 volts / 240v operating = 220 amps

73 amps per phase

It's the heaters in the tubs that sucks down the amps. Lifting water's a heavy demand, too.

Latest posts

Back