Current Pulse of HCL--counts, and other data

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw his name, but do not know him. We did have an Austin, the admin at PS, but I am sure it is not him. But do tell about how he got his name!
You already did! :D

Last edited:
The key part is, when you took the snapshot, we had 26 members online, (and that even includes @Downshift, who has been a member for over 2 years, is online almost every day, and has never made a single post :oops:).
Right now, after the merge, current members online = 28.

I hope this won't be annoying, but more of a journal or diary about the state of the forum. If it bothers you, you can scroll on by.

Now I know I am not Rain Man, or even close, and I know that other people find it unusual when I say things like, "There are 14 dogs here at the dog park now."

I am a counter, and everyday I check in to see how many members there are who have registered. I sometimes do it in the morning and later in the day. It is a weird thing I do, going back to when I used to do headcounts at school--how many students are there here, how many on the playground, coming back from somewhere. It also tells me the health or pulse of the forum. I used to do this same thing elsewhere, and sometimes the counts were abysmal.

Today, at this time, there are 141 registered members. That includes the administrator, Angie, whom I think has two registrations. If there is anything else that throws the numbers off, please advise me.

From what I see, there are 31 active threads today.

If there is anything else that reads the pulse, please add it in. If there is anything else ever, please enter it. If I am missing in action, as I have been today due to the internet being down in my area, and you are interested please enter it!
Now I know I am not Rain Man, or even close, and I know that other people find it unusual when I say things like, "There are 14 dogs here at the dog park now."

I would only think that it was odd if there weren't any dogs at the dog park. Or maybe I'd think that you really, really need glasses.

I know some people have removed themselves relative to the merge. I was just curious where we are with members today. It appears we have lost 36 member since my last post about numbers.

Threads 34,992
Messages 946,175
Members 3,913
Current members online: 32

Some of us DPF members are trying to give it a chance. Some others have not felt comfortable

There are some differences. DPF was a little more hardcore. HCL is a little more social. You guys have preppers too and somehow you blast your own. Do you think some uncomfortable people will jump in.
JMHO from someone trying to give it a shot.

Several times a day and this is the first I have seen this thread.
The old DPF Chat message thread, equivalent to the Front Porch Chat, has gone MIA. Wonder why some DPF members have felt alienated?.

Some of us DPF members are trying to give it a chance. Some others have not felt comfortable

There are some differences. DPF was a little more hardcore. HCL is a little more social. You guys have preppers too and somehow you blast your own. Do you think some uncomfortable people will jump in.

The old DPF Chat message thread, equivalent to the Front Porch Chat, has gone MIA. Wonder why some DPF members have felt alienated?.
The old chat message was left as a special place for the DPF members only. After the move one person made a post and after 10 days of no one posting, it was inactivated. So please, I did everything I could for a private place for the DPF members, but they didn't post there. I hope the ones that are trying to be here, can enjoy this place.

I'm sorry that this has happened. I understand how people can feel uncomfortable, real or imagined. Some people are just offended and nothing can be said or done to help them. I do know some people were going to delete their name here as soon as they could and they did. Some people are trying and some people did not give it a chance.

We have had some other merges previously and there was no upheaval or upset. Not a blip! Everyone just kept on keeping on, being friendly. One upset person can do a lot of damage by their thoughts being shared with others.

Every school that I worked at had people who refused to get along with certain other people for whatever reason they came up with. And there are people who try to get along with everyone.

I always wonder why people are here or anywhere. I even started a thread about it a couple years ago. I joined PS because I was interested in prepping. When HCL forum started, I was invited and jumped right it. Was it easy? Not 100%, but I gave it my all, because I wanted to keep up discussions about prepping and mostly not homesteading. The name of this group seems to be off putting for some people who are interested in prepping. I see prepping and homesteading having many similarities.

There is so much more I could say but it wouldn't be productive.

Thank you for your response!

Many never gave us a chance. My conversation line was and still is always open if someone had a thought, a grudge, how to build a better mousetrap, etc.
Absolute truth, havasu!

I truly hope y'all can hang around long enough to to try!! We are different, it was not a choice! But to all of US, this can work!! And Swing and DrHenly can reassure everyone, I was NOT for this merger! But it has been just fine and a great blend! Let's give it a little more time!!😉

Many never gave us a chance. My conversation line was and still is always open if someone had a thought, a grudge, how to build a better mousetrap, etc.
Some gave it a second chance. His favorite thread is MIA also. Being from Eastern Europe he gave us a different perspective of Russia/Ukraine

Just being honest on how the DPF members felt

What thread is missing according to that member. I've found the threads for the few people that have sent me a private message. And I do know some members are trying to save some threads, since I've been asked where a few are. And if you know the title, the regular or advanced search works.

What thread is missing according to that member. I've found the threads for the few people that have sent me a private message. And I do know some members are trying to save some threads, since I've been asked where a few are. And if you know the title, the regular or advanced search works.
Or just ask, someone here will point you in the right direction!! We all got crossed up with the merger, it will be ok for those who want it to be!! There's no harm in hanging around and trying!!💗

forums and more...this place came about mostly via refugees from multiple forums. a core bunch came from over a dozen forums as they moved from place to place for wide range of reasons.

forums are going away fast. i see some that have 2 and 3 active members..recently i thought of one and i went to it and i was first person to sign in to it in years.some forums are gone completely and even domain name gone.

on a sidenote i have pages and pages of years worth of saved links. i started going through looking for stuff last couple of weeks only to find a huge portion of things are just gone..domain name up for sale and or in case of small internet business they are gone too. tons of folks from youtube purged for various reason and many deleted channels and content because of things going on in world and way google owns and runs it now.

just thoughts and things i seen last bit thinking about this.

things really changing on internet.

One thing. This was to be a homesteading forum, and has the homesteading sections. And the PS members came. PS had/has a homesteading section but was mostly prepping. I think homesteading and prepping and survival go together.

And I see survival as the big government conspiracy issues. Or a lot of severe weather. Then we get down to the loosing a job, and no backup readily handly. How to keep a roof over your head and food. Or medical screwing up your life royally.
Or from my personal experience, being a divorced single mom that did not get the prescribed child support or any of the alimony. But needed the child support the most. BUT, we survived. And we did darn well.
Now I look at this forum and the wide variety of levels of prepping, surviving and even homesteading and or just having a garden.

I believe there are many types and levels of homesteading, prepping and surviving. Each one can learn something good from the other.
There is a lot to be said for practical applications during this life we are living while being ready (not getting ready) for what may happen.

You are SO RIGHT Swing! We all know how much I thought this merger would be wrong!! But just look at all the different living situations and places we live!! HOW AWESOME!! Some live in town, some love the cold, but WE ALL get to experience as something different, see a different side of life!! The more we contribute, the more we realize we are not that much different from one another!! Just my two cents!

Swing, Personally had our Chat message thread bookmarked. It was not in the DPF Member section, it was buried in a prepping thread. Clicked on it one day Oops we can’t find it.

DPF members section only had our thread about the merger. (That one as well as yours I could see disappearing). Our chat was buried somewhere else, thread 33281.

I looked for Ban’s favorite Russia vrs Ukraine. Nothing with either keyword. He quit before the merger went through. His quitting went through after he posted here. He rejoined. But his favorite thread was gone.

VIP Members didn’t have access to politics and Firearms, yet I did. I never had to ask, just had posted a lot in them. Some peoples VIP membership didn’t transfer but all of a sudden they had HCL Some how I have both.

Just pointing out why people aren’t here.

What was the actual name of that thread? And did he start it? I just found one about border crisis that has a lot of his posts in it, but was started by someone else. It was about 45 pages long.

PS: They could have asked and I'd have found it for them.
And each member can find all their content by going to their member name in the upper right and clicking on it. That brings up the user control panel.
And there is a selection called "Your Content" Click on that and you'll find what you have posted and where. Click on the link and you're in that thread.
1717993549579.png

Russia vrs Ukraine or visa versa
I should have been able to find it with either country in the title.
We had many boarder crisis threads. Mexico, Ukraine,Israel
Probably several with that conflict. Some members got banned because of that conflict. Anaconda would be one, He was from the Ukraine but took things too far.
Ban was probably posting up til the day of the merger

And as a side note, some banned members are now ok to post. IlliniWarrior being one. He was a not one of my favorite people on other forums and I was happy he got banned on DPF.

I have been looking for a certain gun thread that I followed to fix a problem and noticed that. All DPF gun threads are in firearms chitchat, not by rifle,shotgun, etc..

I did check the VIP Supporter (Supporting Member from DPF) I had to set the permissions for the Political, etc area as it did not match the original Supporting Member here. At some point in the not too distant future I'll need to make it be only one Supporting membership. I think many of the merged members were relying on DrHenley to convey their wishes, and he did a lot - but I don't usually bite, and I usually try to be helpful and members send me messages all the time. I know it's easier to to work with someone you've known.

Doc and PP were trusted Mods for us.. If they PMed us cool it, we would.

Been in places were the Admin thought everyone was an Opie (Fed) and was banned. So you can see some gun shyness.

I did check the VIP Supporter (Supporting Member from DPF) I had to set the permissions for the Political, etc area as it did not match the original Supporting Member here. At some point in the not too distant future I'll need to make it be only one Supporting membership. I think many of the merged members were relying on DrHenley to convey their wishes, and he did a lot - but I don't usually bite, and I usually try to be helpful and members send me messages all the time. I know it's easier to to work with someone you've known.
This has gotta be fun for you. Lol

I know this wasn’t your idea, and sure ain’t fun… but you’re handling it well, imo

We have buried all of our gun talk so this area is not viewable to perusers scrolling by.
I understand Gun talk being not viewable. I can view it. Other previous paid supporters can’t.

I don’t understand all of the DPF content being buried in the Chit Chat thread. We had Handgun, shotgun, rifle and other threads.
I am looking for a certain thread, but I have to now go through 3-4 years of Chit Chat. I should be able to look in rifle sub catogory.

It wasn’t a merge. It was let’s put it here. It is not cohesive. At least to DPF members.

And people wonder why DPF posters aren’t on here. I am actually trying to make things better

I understand Gun talk being not viewable. I can view it. Other previous paid supporters can’t.

I don’t understand all of the DPF content being buried in the Chit Chat thread. We had Handgun, shotgun, rifle and other threads.
I am looking for a certain thread, but I have to now go through 3-4 years of Chit Chat. I should be able to look in rifle sub catogory.

It wasn’t a merge. It was let’s put it here. It is not cohesive. At least to DPF members.

And people wonder why DPF posters aren’t on here. I am actually trying to make things better
I can't and won't speak for the current moderation team, but in decades past I have moderated boards that merged with others.

All I will say is IT TAKES TIME. We ALL have lives, things to do, places to go.

Latest posts

Back