Damit Dam and Pond Sealer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBLife

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I had a new spring fed pond built a few months ago and it was filling about 2 inches every 3 days. Had hurricane Ian come and it dumped enough to get the water to rise 2 feet. Couple days later and that 2 feet of water was gone and then it was no longer filling. Didn't concern me too much as I kind of expected it due to the many springs that are in the area. Basically the weight of the water was enough to allow seepage to go down and hit the source of a spring and it was then flowing out below the dam. I looked for a product I knew existed and it was discontinued but I did find an Australian company that made Damit Dam and Pond Sealer. Ordered two pails of it and scattered it over the surface of the pond water about 9 days ago. After day 3 the water was already up about 5 inches. Can't wait to get to the homestead tonight to see how it is doing. :)

If you have a pond and it won't hold water, there are solutions that don't require emptying it. Just wanted to share. Hoping it will be full in a couple months to stock with some Bluegill, Channel Cat and Bass. Will add a bit more variety to our fish supply. Wife likes Trout but not all the time and I love a giant fat Bluegill!

So you just sprinkle it on the surface? How does it find the holes?
I've always used Bentonite which works fantastic but you need to apply it directly to the hole. My main issue was muskrats which left holes a softball could go through. Pack the hole with a few handfuls of Bentonite and it'll definitely stop leaking.

So you just sprinkle it on the surface? How does it find the holes?
I've always used Bentonite which works fantastic but you need to apply it directly to the hole. My main issue was muskrats which left holes a softball could go through. Pack the hole with a few handfuls of Bentonite and it'll definitely stop leaking.
It is a polymer and when it sinks it attracted to the areas where the leaks are, bonds to each other as well as silt in the water and swells up to clog the holes. Not sure how effective it would be on a muskrat hole though.

Here is a video of Damit, he said it was cheaper than Bentonite. I think this did work out for him. I don't have any personal experience either way.

I was close to purchasing DamIt doe my pond but when I read the details, I noticed it may not be good for aquatic plants because it interferes with them takung up water. I have reeds and Lily pads so...

I may still use it but will have to move some of the plants first.

Ben

I have heard that crushed limestone works well with minor cracking.

Just got back to the city and heading to the airport but can say that my pond is up 2 more feet since last week. At this rate I think it will be going into the spillway around Christmas. Be ready for some fish soon! Cost me just $500 to fix the pond. Other solutions would have been around $1000 or more.

Just got back to the city and heading to the airport but can say that my pond is up 2 more feet since last week. At this rate I think it will be going into the spillway around Christmas. Be ready for some fish soon! Cost me just $500 to fix the pond. Other solutions would have been around $1000 or more.
Now you got me scheming.

Ben

Update on the pond.. It was getting very close to full and the point that goes to the spillway was just a foot from being covered. Decided to pour concrete all over that and around the spillway pipe so that I could walk out with waders on if needed and have a nice surface to walk on about knee deep. It just did finish filling up today and is now going over the spillway. The Damit product worked like a charm!

Will get trout to stock it in March.

Latest posts

Back