Damn wind

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbjoker

Friend
Neighbor
So... Last Friday I put my seed trays with about 200 seeds in my cheap greenhouse I bought off amazon for $80... Saturday we had some strong winds here the greenhouse didn't blow away but my 200 seeds did, the winds I guess blew the plastic walls of the greenhouse enough that it knocked all the seed trays off the shelves they were sitting on, by the time I had found the mess because I worked Saturday all the seeds had blown away. The forecast for the next 2 weeks doesn't show any freezing temps for my area so I went ahead and just replanted everything today in the ground, Lesson learned that the seed trays go on the floor in the greenhouse from now on until I can afford to get a better greenhouse down the road. On another note I am still having a hard time getting the garlic I bought from the store to sprout, I tried wrapping it in a moist paper towel for a couple of days and also put it in damp potting mix for almost a week still no sprouts any suggestions are welcome.

Greenhouse.jpg

Instead of pvc try using the top rail sold for chain link fencing. You can build a bending jig or Boot strap farmer sells a pipe bender and has directions for making a hoop house with it. You can add bracing to help with wind/snow loads.

Yikes! That's just too much wind! It's always windy here, hence the damned turbine farms destroying the landscape, but we rarely get anything above 60 mph. I can hear my flag snapping, stiff north wind about 30 mph tonight.
That's a nice looking greenhouse Cliff, rather similar to the one my husband built for me last year. We did use the fence rails for the hoops though. It was fun bending them and trying to get the curves just the same. Being an engineer, he meticulously marked each rail with the points where to stop and pull it down, and it worked very well.
Sorry you lost all your seeds, Joker but glad you could replant.

Yikes! That's just too much wind! It's always windy here, hence the damned turbine farms destroying the landscape, but we rarely get anything above 60 mph. I can hear my flag snapping, stiff north wind about 30 mph tonight.
That's a nice looking greenhouse Cliff, rather similar to the one my husband built for me last year. We did use the fence rails for the hoops though. It was fun bending them and trying to get the curves just the same. Being an engineer, he meticulously marked each rail with the points where to stop and pull it down, and it worked very well.
Sorry you lost all your seeds, Joker but glad you could replant.

Engineers of the world rise up (rule)!

Ben

I built this one. It's pretty strong but didn't withstand NC ice storms. We got snow one day and it was fine. Soon followed a rain/ice storm. It couldn't withstand the heavy weight. It can be built in 2' increments.
https://carteret.ces.ncsu.edu/wp-co...d-Greenhouse-for-the-Home-Gardener.pdf?fwd=no
Great job.
I have metal ribs from a used green house that I will put up the Summer for next winter.
Wind & cold air will be my biggest problem, I do have three wood stoves.
I like your frame work, as well as your tables.

Last edited:
thanks all, I got most of it replanted on Wednesday and will get the rest planted Tuesday on my next day off, cliff I really like the greenhouse design, wish I had the room for it. I am currently farming in my 1200 sq ft backyard, my wife said i could use half for the baby and farming and the dog gets the other half so I have 300 sq ft, and the baby has the other 300, lol, hopefully in a few more years i can buy so acreage and have animals outside of the city.

I built a smaller version of what you have. It's been up 4 years and still in good shape. We don't get the heavy ice storms you all get. We get 1/4" buildup normally.
I bought 6 mil plastic. I also put foam pipe insulation around the PVC pipes to stop it from wearing.
I have $200 invested in it so it's not a big loss if it does collapse.

I built a smaller version of what you have. It's been up 4 years and still in good shape. We don't get the heavy ice storms you all get. We get 1/4" buildup normally.
I bought 6 mil plastic. I also put foam pipe insulation around the PVC pipes to stop it from wearing.
I have $200 invested in it so it's not a big loss if it does collapse.
The form pipe insulation is a great Ideal, I gong to use it.

Latest posts

Back