December 7th, 1941...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOOTER13

SNIPER
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

A date which will live in infamy...

X7ytnks.jpg

USS Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

qbdawih.jpg

WrAbjpm.jpg

Remember the Sacrifices of the Greatest Generation...

I've been there quite a few times, since I have family living close by. In my last visit, I saw an elderly Japanese tourist that looked nearly in tears and he mouthed the words "I'm sorry" as I walked by. It was very touching.

The wife and I have a bitter sweet remembrance party.
We have both worn the uniforms She Army, Me Navy, AND we were MARRIED on DECEMBER 7th, 1976.

Anyone ever been to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial...!?
Shooter, my son in law went to Hawaii this summer for some medical ( He's stationed at FT. Greely) and they brought back some mementos from there visit to the Arizona!
He's an E6 and a proud one at that.

My mother's family lived and grew up in Wahiawa, Oahu and she told me about the planes coming over their house, roaring very low to the ground. At first they had no idea of what was happening and called them "Red Moon planes". When the bombing started it shook the house and they ran across the street into an old church that has long been torn down now. Their whole family went along with many others huddled in masses and wondering what was going on. She was only 15 yrs. old and she had an older brother and sister along with a younger brother and they started to hear the explosions. They were scared to death and wondered if they would get bombed also. A little later the second wave came over and headed towards Kaneohe and they could hear the bombing and shooting of machine guns, rifles and bombs going off again. Then they heard a terrific explosion which could have been the magazine in the Arizona. My grandfather told them to stay in the church, ran back to the house and got his old rifle thinking he could help. Of course by that time it was all over. Later that evening, the blacked out their windows and lit candles for light. At sometime later the government came and rounded up all the Japanese families and told them they are being located. Many of them were born in Hawaii and grew up there. They were considered "undesirable" and could be considered spies. I would question my mother about things that day but she said she did not want to talk about it. I have 1 uncle left in Hawaii and he lives in Mililani town and he is 91 yrs. old. He signed up immediately to serve in the army and stayed in for the duration.
If you have never been on the Arizona memorial, I encourage you to visit at least once. You can still see oil coming up from the bottom. Oil that is trapped in the Arizona. I cannot relay me feelings enough to the reverence you will experience. All the men who died have their name on the memorial and it's hard to believe there are about 2200 men that died that day. I also knew a Japanese man who served in the U.S. Army (I believe it was the 442nd) and they fought in Germany taking some of the highest casualties of any group. They felt they had to prove themselves to be good Americans and some died needlessly. They were willing to die for their country. How many young people today would do the same? Let's hope North Korea does not escalate as we will not have rifle shots-it could end up a nuclear catastrophe.

Tommy (Hapa-Haole) and proud of it!!!!

I forgot to include this part of my story. In the last 2 days I have met 2 WWII vets. My wife and I were at McDonald's having a sandwich and an elderly gentleman walked out with a limp and a wrap on it. I asked him if he had a bad wheel. He said he was 95 yrs. old and only had part of a knee. He had lost it when they invaded Iwo Jima. He saw the guys that raised the first flag so the ships could see it. Another day I went to Long John Silver's and a gentleman and his wife were sitting peacefully eating. He was wearing the cap stating he was a WWII vet. I walked over to him and saluted, then I thanked him for his service. He stuck out his hand and shook mine. He said that in these days not too many of the young people even know what that cap meant. He had fought in Europe during the war. I said I won't bother you any more and thanked him again. He looked up at me with the biggest smile on his face you can imagine and I politely smiled back. It was 2 good days for me to meet these men

Tommy

A True Patriot Art...

Please Thank Him For His Service to Our Great Nation
That is his step daughter MY grand daughter in my avatar as I'm giving safety and shooting lessons to a few of them.

Latest posts

Back