Diesel Storage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strycnine

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
How's everyone storing thier diesel? I've been keeping mine in 5 gallon can, but want to change up to something else. This will be stored inside my shop. I was thinking a 55 gallon drum.

A 55 gallon drum is an excellent choice. The steel is a great O2 barrier. The only way for volatiles to get out or oxygen to get in is past the threads on the bungs. If kept at a constant temperature very little of that will occur. If you place your drum outside place a short 2X4 under one edge at 90º from the bungs to keep water from being sucked into the drum through the threads. A significant vacuum can develop.

The larger the volume the better for storing ANY type of fuel. Also the more consistent the temperature the better. Anywhere in the 50-60F range is a good place to start. Also keeping any fuel containers out of direct sunlight it a plus.

The larger the volume the better for storing ANY type of fuel. Also the more consistent the temperature the better. Anywhere in the 50-60F range is a good place to start. Also keeping any fuel containers out of direct sunlight it a plus.
Also - put a filter on the outlet (side of the pump), limit exposure to condensation, agitate the fuel using a pump to recirculate the fuel every six months or so and ad a moisture absorber, stabilizer, biocide (like PRI-D).

I have an aviation grade filter on my static tanks.

Do all that to a good storage tank, and it will last for years.

Latest posts

Back