diet starting today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
week 5 day 7

weight myself today, down another lb. So 9 lbs lost 16 to go

it is sort of weird that I lose 1 lb a week, regardless pretty much of what I eat. I even had a junk day this past week, but I did go swimming on that day so that probably made up for it

Maybe I should sell my diet, everyone else is selling diets ( JUST KIDDING) , the "normal food " diet hahaha

today I am going to make omlettes (we have too many eggs) , creamed spinach and potatoes, plus leftover soup from yesterday
The soup was ok, but way too sweet. I don't know why you would add brown sugar to soup but that's what the recipe called for and I added it, so next time I make this no tomato juice and definitely no sugar, I will just use tomatoes
( this is the cabbage soup recipe on the other thread)

its the time period you go without eating...i noticed the longer hours i fast and shorter what they call 'feed hours/time' something another..it doesnt matter what i eat....especially not eating pasta,breads,sweet sugary stuff...but i dont eat sweet stuff hardly ever....sister showed me a guy on tiktok when she was visiting last year of what he eats and i was shocked..he has lost over 100#...his steak looked like a pot roast...3 plates of food...be honest i physically couldnt eat what he ate at the one time.

you just keep doing what ya doing....you doing fantastic and not eating Styrofoam and sawdust either...you eat good variety of foods.

My diet started in earnest on Thursday the first. I went to the doctor for a routine annual check-up. Everything was good except my A1C, which was bad. I always fall off the wagon during the holidays, but I guess I didn't realize how badly. I didn't gain any weight, but waaaayyy to much sugar.

So the sugar is gone. No sweets whatsoever. The carbs have to go as well, and for me three days without bread is like an alcoholic counting days being sober. No secret, but my kryptonite is salty snacks. Not eating those is worse than trying to quit smoking.

I have another appointment in mid-May to check progress. My goal is to lose 10-20 pounds, and drastically reduce my A1C. Should be doable. Fingers crossed.

My diet started in earnest on Thursday the first. I went to the doctor for a routine annual check-up. Everything was good except my A1C, which was bad. I always fall off the wagon during the holidays, but I guess I didn't realize how badly. I didn't gain any weight, but waaaayyy to much sugar.

So the sugar is gone. No sweets whatsoever. The carbs have to go as well, and for me three days without bread is like an alcoholic counting days being sober. No secret, but my kryptonite is salty snacks. Not eating those is worse than trying to quit smoking.

I have another appointment in mid-May to check progress. My goal is to lose 10-20 pounds, and drastically reduce my A1C. Should be doable. Fingers crossed.
We will be looking forward to your progress here!

We will be looking forward to your progress here!

Thank you. The sad part is that it is my own fault. Noody was holding a gun to my head forcing me to eat the bad stuff. I did it gladly with malice aforethought. I know what I have to do, and what I have to stay away from. Just a matter of building up will power.

My goal is to lose 10-20 pounds, and drastically reduce my A1C. Should be doable. Fingers crossed.
I keep seeing this one here, so probably a stupid question but what is a A1C?

Either way good luck

I dont think I have any particular food addictions because I eat a lot of different things. I do like bread and eat it but not a ton. I do like pizza but I can only eat 2 slices and then I am full. Chips would be my bad thing , so I don't buy any

It took the premature death of my sister in law, who was the same age as I, to give me the stimulus to lose weight.
do you know for sure she died because of her weight? My aunt was super in shape for her age and not overweight at all and died from pancreatic cancer in 3 days
I am just trying to lose weight to not have to end up buying new clothes and because I don't want to "feel" fat ( like it's harder to do yoga the more you weight)

I keep seeing this one here, so probably a stupid question but what is a A1C?

It is a measure of the amount of sugar in your blood. A good number would be below 6.5. Above 6.5 but still single digits is cautionary. If you hit double digits you are in the danger zone. Borderline or maybe Type 2 Diabetic.

Carbs turn into sugar. My weight loss has been from my low carb intake, combined with my 1 hour a day exercise. Yes, I'm down two pants size (4") so i really don't want to go to a lower size, but ill do what it takes to be sllowed to reduce my mandatory pain meds from my knee replacements.

It is a measure of the amount of sugar in your blood. A good number would be below 6.5. Above 6.5 but still single digits is cautionary. If you hit double digits you are in the danger zone. Borderline or maybe Type 2 Diabetic.
I had gestational diabetes ( pregnant) and I had to check my blood sugar for a while and don't remember that. From what I remember a good number was under 100. But it was mild diabetes and I didn't require medication , it was gone afterwards . Have they changed the way they measure that?

Carbs turn into sugar. My weight loss has been from my low carb intake, combined with my 1 hour a day exercise. Yes, I'm down two pants size (4") so i really don't want to go to a lower size, but ill do what it takes to be sllowed to reduce my mandatory pain meds from my knee replacements.
everything turns into sugar once digested, protein , fat and carbs, and alcohol. Fat has the most calories, alcohol second most actually ( per gram )
I took a lot of biology classes in college including an elective on nutrition once
All food contains carbon, hydrogen, some oxygen, when it's digested, it breaks down and is converted to glucose ( sugar) which is what fuels your body. It just takes longer for your body to break down the fat than it does regular sugar, so you get a large amount of glucose faster if you eat sugar, which is why its bad for diabetes
From what I remember that is how that works
if you don't have diabetes you don't really need to not eat carbs , I am also losing weight and I eat a lot of carbs
I think it's just the amount. You can't eat a half a loaf of bread or bag of candy

Have they changed the way they measure that?

I really don't know. My wife had that with our first child, but I don't think she had it with the second.

I had gestational diabetes ( pregnant) and I had to check my blood sugar for a while and don't remember that. From what I remember a good number was under 100. But it was mild diabetes and I didn't require medication , it was gone afterwards . Have they changed the way they measure that?
Don't even get me on the
76635-soapbox-zipper.gif
about the A1C scam that big pharma came up with to sell their drugs.:mad:
It basically tattles on you if your glucose level has ever been high in the last 100 days:
Wiki: A1c is a weighted average of blood glucose levels during the life of the red blood cells (117 days for men and 106 days in women). Therefore, glucose levels on days nearer to the test contribute substantially more to the level of A1c than the levels in days further from the test.
Most people will fail this test and will buy their drugs that lower A1C, not the glucose level.
Stay on top of your glucose numbers, not some 'weighted average'.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, a fasting day for me.o_O
(fortunately, beer doesn't count:)).
DW is with relatives down south watching Mardi Gras parades and won't be back until tomorrow.
Why: My belly was blown up yesterday and I need to empty it out.

week # 6 day 1

going to make soup #1 and Thai chicken curry today with rice, and carrot and cucumber salad
maybe a springroll if I still have any

Oddly enough, a fasting day for me.o_O
(fortunately, beer doesn't count:)).
DW is with relatives down south watching Mardi Gras parades and won't be back until tomorrow.
Why: My belly was blown up yesterday and I need to empty it out.
beer is no good for diets, has tons of calories and the alcohol. If your liver has to process alcohol it cannot process fat, so you can't really lose any weight if you drink a lot
sorry .....

everything turns into sugar once digested, protein , fat and carbs, and alcohol. Fat has the most calories, alcohol second most actually ( per gram )
I took a lot of biology classes in college including an elective on nutrition once
All food contains carbon, hydrogen, some oxygen, when it's digested, it breaks down and is converted to glucose ( sugar) which is what fuels your body. It just takes longer for your body to break down the fat than it does regular sugar, so you get a large amount of glucose faster if you eat sugar, which is why its bad for diabetes
From what I remember that is how that works
if you don't have diabetes you don't really need to not eat carbs , I am also losing weight and I eat a lot of carbs
I think it's just the amount. You can't eat a half a loaf of bread or bag of candy
Wouldn't it be great to be metabolic flexible? Like a switch you could throw back and forth between carb fueled and fat fueled?

But for me, having been carb fueled for my entire life and experiencing fat fueled for the past year, I will be forever more fat fueled. Because I did try some cheat days with carbs. And I suffered imminently the next day with the return of inflammation. But thankfully, after fasting and going back to strict keto for about half a day, began to feel "normal" again back in ketosis.

"Subject has lived through extremely violent period. From the head to toe: brain shows evidence of five concussions, sternum was broken from evidence of calcium build up, right shoulder torn rotator cup, right arm broken, left shoulder injury, multiple jammed and smashed fingers, bulging disks and sciatica, cracked ribs, left hip socket cracked, left ankle severely broken and held together with titanium pins, knee bursitis, and multiple sprained ankles."

All of that inflammation VANISHED! As well as sinus inflammation that resulted in better sleep. Fat fueled is euphoric for me. But everyone is slightly different, so enjoy the journey?

This is borderline too much information! 😃
I just thought that a valid reason was needed why a guy that constantly worries about losing too much weight, would fast. :(

week 6 day 2

I need to figure it out later what I am cooking, just posting this as a reminder

edit: so today I made vegetable salad with pork, garlic bread and rice soup. The veg salad is really good, I make it anytime asparagus is in season and looks good lightly steamed asparagus and broccoli, cut up a green pepper, onion, garlic and a cucumber. Fry some pork chops cut up, add to veggies. Dressing: mayo and lemon juice, some salt and pepper

Last edited:
LOL Elkhoud, you are supposed to put a sad face emoji on that last post hahaha!!
I fell off the wagon last few days myself....lol...misery loves company i guess...not happy at all.

i may fast a day or three to jump start my system again...gotta do something..i know me.

bleeping bleep blep myself !!

week 6 day 3
glad today is not checking weight day...

making Korean short ribs today, found a new recipe in the cookbook daughter gave me I want to try
with rice and spicy eggplant
and soup ( leftover soup from yesterday )

A few times while it was cold i actually had my bibs on hiking. the last day it had gotten pretty warm at about 50f...these are blue denim bibs and i forgot how rough they can be because of stiffness in sewed seams and more. When i use to hound hunt i wore brown carhartts 24/7/365 at work and at play.Going through heavy brush you need tough clothes..back then my skin was pretty toughed from constant wear...only on super hot days and heavy sweating did it bother me really...and mainly in thigh area and bibs part..you soak through your shirt and bib can rub your nipples raw on the end. I use to put duct tape on them when that happened.Fast forward now of just being on trails you can get by with so much lighter and more comfortable clothes and lighter shoes as well.

I have mainly hiked in shorts and knee high socks acting as type of gaiter for lower leg.I might try a pair of these tactical shorts with side pockets and see how they do. They sorta look like nickers from back in the day the old timers wore in the fields and forest..only those were wool.I have an old pair of wool ones i wore while lion hunting in snow when i was out west in winter.

what is this a fashion show now?? ( LOL jk)

week 6 day 5

chicken and dumplings today

talking about clothes, I think all the weight I lost is not where I wanted it lost ( around my waist) . I think that is the only place I have not lost any :( Pretty sure the entire extra weight I have is right there only . How annoying
this is an old age problem, when I was overweight before after being pregnant my weight was more even distributed

I made a relatively low calorie chicken enchilada casserole for dinner last night.

Very simple recipe:

Pour (1) 28 ounce can of La Victoria green enchilada sauce into a large sauce pan. Dice 3-4 precooked oven baked chicken breasts and toss it into the sauce pan of warming green sauce. Add (1) small can of diced green chilies into the sauce pan.

use a 10" x14" x 2" glass casserole dish. Spray the inside with PAM or lightly coat with vegetable oil. Dip white corn tortillas into the green sauce pan, just to coat the exterior of the cold tortillas. Use 6-8 dipped tortillas to line the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour 1/3rd of the chicken sauce on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle some cheese. Use another 6-8 dipped tortillas to create a second level in the casserole dish. Pour another third of the chicken sauce, then line with more cheese. Then add the final 6-8 dipped tortillas into the casserole dish. Pour the remaining chicken sauce on top, sprinkle with some cheese, then use a small can of sliced black olives which is sprinkled on the top of the casserole dish.

Cover with tin foil and baked for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. After 40 minutes have passed, take the foil off, and place under the broiler to slightly brown the cheese for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from oven, let it sit for 10 minutes, and dinner's on.

This serves 4 persons easily, with some leftovers. I used a total of about 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese for this casserole dish.

Back