diet starting today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had i helluva afternoon today till dark....left right after lunch today for road trip through the mtns. i knew i had not been getting out as much either walking/hiking or riding old logging roads and can tell via my bad leg has not been wanting to bend correctly the way it was..in fact its been like this since januarish....its just a thing i gotta deal with since 2001...anyhow....fantastic trip...seen deer and turkeys and a bunch of stuff..got up high enough that hardly a leaf was on the trees in fact crossing one section to another.just before leaving forest and hitting hard top my bad leg decided to revolt a bit and inner thigh stuff started....it was on and off last 20 miles home...got home ,ate and passed out cold...started to get up and pow...inner thigh cramp...calf cramp and foot cramp...bent leg,calf screaming and foot pointing straight up....dam and double dam...started to set down at desk and pow again as soon as butt cheek hit seat.....been taking salt,mag etc...only thing is not getting that constant stretch by doing coupled with nerve stuff shifting...bad leg feels like shredded hamburger right now..i so hoped for a road trip tomorrow....leg is not going to have that i can see....yall known for years i cant ride very far or long(hour was limit)..i still logged in 7 hours in truck and about 85 miles.i was at my favorite place were i hunted a bunch back in the day...!! it was glorious day...tonight i pay the admission price....IT WAS WORTH IT....LOL...ask me again tomorrow....lol

just way things are...way better than i was an hour was my limit riding for years and years..never would i have thought i could do this right now...life is great...get out and do it...!!
Best cure for cramps, I’ve found, is a few sips of dill pickle juice. Cramps are gone within a minute.

Since my other half commented on the size of my plate on Sunday night, I have really been going after my ultimate goal of 200 pounds. The last two days have been pretty warm, which I love (as long as I lather up with sunblock) and have walked 5 miles both of the last two days. I had severe leg cramps yesterday, so mama went out and purchased those "Emergency" Gatorade powder packets that you add into a bottle of water. It is full of electrolytes, low sugar, and potassium (salt). I found it pretty strong, so I put it into a 20 ounce glass and added ice, because it needs to be real cold. This seemed to really work well.

Had i helluva afternoon today till dark....left right after lunch today for road trip through the mtns. i knew i had not been getting out as much either walking/hiking or riding old logging roads and can tell via my bad leg has not been wanting to bend correctly the way it was..in fact its been like this since januarish....its just a thing i gotta deal with since 2001...anyhow....fantastic trip...seen deer and turkeys and a bunch of stuff..got up high enough that hardly a leaf was on the trees in fact crossing one section to another.just before leaving forest and hitting hard top my bad leg decided to revolt a bit and inner thigh stuff started....it was on and off last 20 miles home...got home ,ate and passed out cold...started to get up and pow...inner thigh cramp...calf cramp and foot cramp...bent leg,calf screaming and foot pointing straight up....dam and double dam...started to set down at desk and pow again as soon as butt cheek hit seat.....been taking salt,mag etc...only thing is not getting that constant stretch by doing coupled with nerve stuff shifting...bad leg feels like shredded hamburger right now..i so hoped for a road trip tomorrow....leg is not going to have that i can see....yall known for years i cant ride very far or long(hour was limit)..i still logged in 7 hours in truck and about 85 miles.i was at my favorite place were i hunted a bunch back in the day...!! it was glorious day...tonight i pay the admission price....IT WAS WORTH IT....LOL...ask me again tomorrow....lol

just way things are...way better than i was an hour was my limit riding for years and years..never would i have thought i could do this right now...life is great...get out and do it...!!
Drink pickle brine.
That's what I drink when I get cramps like that.
Now I am partial to Firey Hot Bread and Butter brine.
I can up extra batches of brine just for cramps,

Carbs are my weakness.
So if I want bread, I have to really want it.
I make it.
Same with pastas, egg noodles.
I make them otherwise I don't get them.
Ha! that does NOT work for me, if I make it, I will eat it...I try to not bake in between markets and just buy store bread. I can eat a slice of toast and be done with it, or just not have any. I also try to make bread type stuff with soup meals so it is just part of the regular calories I eat. I eat more carbs than fat or protein, works for me. I just have to cut out the total junk carbs ( chips late at night or a large bowl of ice cream late) .

Best cure for cramps, I’ve found, is a few sips of dill pickle juice. Cramps are gone within a minute.
If I ever get one I will try that. Not sure what leg cramps feel like, not sure I have had any. My foot hurts again today ( from doing a lot of walking weedeating fenceline yesterday) but pickle juice won't help that :(

Since my other half commented on the size of my plate on Sunday night, I have really been going after my ultimate goal of 200 pounds. The last two days have been pretty warm, which I love (as long as I lather up with sunblock) and have walked 5 miles both of the last two days. I had severe leg cramps yesterday, so mama went out and purchased those "Emergency" Gatorade powder packets that you add into a bottle of water. It is full of electrolytes, low sugar, and potassium (salt). I found it pretty strong, so I put it into a 20 ounce glass and added ice, because it needs to be real cold. This seemed to really work well.
I use that, or Propel packets. I used to get calf cramps now and then but I haven't for years because I hydrate hard, all the time. If you're prone to cramps, double your water intake and add electrolytes to replace what you pee out. It's pretty common for me to drink 6 to 8 quarts a day, sometimes even a little more than 8. I aim for a minimum of 10 ounces per waking hour...

We have these in our pantry and fridge all the time. We don’t freeze them but just down a tube of this if we get cramps in the night. It absolutely works for getting rid of cramps.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.png
    IMG_1778.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Yea my leg stuff is not true cramps...its all the discs bulging/herniated along with injuries and 2 knee surgeries and bad car wreak...5 discs..posted about it..nerve damage whatever...torn muscles from reactions of pinched nerves multiple times...when i dont do what i should or over do it i get them pinched or touching and trigger all kinds of crazy down my leg...tremors often from muscle stuff...hell i had it even tear hamstring and calf muscle at same time...but since i pushed through the pain last year i am so much better...i still have a long ways to go....tendons and all want to just draw up so its a battle non stop...if i point my toe/foot to put on a tall boot it can trigger it up my leg to my hip and spine often...way better though..forward i go....like i said in previous posts no insurance etc. would ever cover the amount of therapy i need or require....going up and down the 77 steps last year has gotten my knee range of motion so much better/more.... way better and it will be even more.

yes i am broke but not done...still got some miles left in me ! push through the pain to do it !

Last edited:
I use that, or Propel packets. I used to get calf cramps now and then but I haven't for years because I hydrate hard, all the time. If you're prone to cramps, double your water intake and add electrolytes to replace what you pee out. It's pretty common for me to drink 6 to 8 quarts a day, sometimes even a little more than 8. I aim for a minimum of 10 ounces per waking hour...
old military study showed in high humidity like in jungles or southeast u.s. you need a quart an hour...doing nothing at all often...ad in real work...you better drink for sure...and lots of it...!

old military study showed in high humidity like in jungles or southeast u.s. you need a quart an hour...doing nothing at all often...ad in real work...you better drink for sure...and lots of it...!
One quart per hour is still the recommendation for high activity. We have the military pee color charts at work with the fluid intake recommendations on them. They say 20 oz per hour whether you're active or not. That's a lot but it is what it is...

This is a very interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading through it. I've been trying to lose weight as well-learning what works and what doesn't now. At 58 and just past the change, my body responds to everything differently.

I need to lose about 50 lbs. I need to cut the carbs, but I have trouble because I need the calcium for my bones. I'm drinking 1% lowfat right now because I can't find skim at grocers in our little town. Four cups a day takes me to normal intake. I've looked at cheese, and would have to eat quite a bit of it daily to get my required amount-that's lower carb and I can try and get half of it there.

Just eating fruits, veggies and dairy, meat.

The fasting is very interesting! I may try and incorporate that.

diet bomb day 1 of trip ( yesterday was ok)
I had a almond paste croisant and a latte with sugar at the Dublin airport this morning. Then my dad took us out for dinner and we had a gigantic "gyro" platter and stuffed grape leaves in this pretend Greek restaurant. My dad knows the owner so I could tell him this without offending him ( Germans generally don't get offended much LOL) The gyro meat was PORK , the pita was good but not a pita, and it came with a giant pile of fries ( good ) AND some tomatoey rice ( good but unecessary) . I showed him photos of our sheep and lambs and told him " this is what is supposed to go into gyro" , he lauged and said " but this is Germany, they love pork" LOL it did taste good....
Before that we had stuffed grape leaves, also good and made with, you guessed it, ground pork hahaha!

diet bomb day 1 of trip ( yesterday was ok)
I had a almond paste croisant and a latte with sugar at the Dublin airport this morning. Then my dad took us out for dinner and we had a gigantic "gyro" platter and stuffed grape leaves in this pretend Greek restaurant. My dad knows the owner so I could tell him this without offending him ( Germans generally don't get offended much LOL) The gyro meat was PORK , the pita was good but not a pita, and it came with a giant pile of fries ( good ) AND some tomatoey rice ( good but unecessary) . I showed him photos of our sheep and lambs and told him " this is what is supposed to go into gyro" , he lauged and said " but this is Germany, they love pork" LOL it did taste good....
Before that we had stuffed grape leaves, also good and made with, you guessed it, ground pork hahaha!

run 1200 laps in the morning !! swim to moscow and back if nothing else !

Back