Dinner For St. Patricks Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeceetx

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Being half Irish, I feel obligated to at least cook an Irish dinner for St. Patricks Day.

When I was young and living at home, we always had Corned Beef and Cabbage, so I immediately dismissed that.

I decided to make Shepherd's Pie (beef, not lamb). Easy to make, and very tasty.

Will pair it with Guinness beer, and later that evening I'll be sipping a Jameson Whisky.

St Patty’s Day?!? I’m not even ready for March yet 😂
That said, I might milk the blarney cow (that’s code for making homemade Irish cream 😋)
Is that the same thing as Baily's Irish Cream?
I might have to get me a bottle of that for our trip.
I like it in coffee sitting around a campfire.

Is that the same thing as Baily's Irish Cream?
I might have to get me a bottle of that for our trip.
I like it in coffee sitting around a campfire.
Yep. Let me know if you’re heading this direction and I’ll fix ya up with a bottle 😁

We eat the corned beef dinner every year, we also eat pass over dinner too.
No we are not Jewish, just something they did at DW collage, so we do it now.

I do thanksgiving even though no longer in the States, and not American. Nice to celebrate any occasion and a good practice run for Christmas!
Haven't decided what I'm making for St Patrick's Day dinner- will ask the tribe what they want. I've never had corned beef here! Wouldn't know where to find it lol- This time of year leg of lamb is popular.
And for all the real redheads - the Irish Redhead Convention will take place in Co Cork in late August this year.

I do thanksgiving even though no longer in the States, and not American. Nice to celebrate any occasion and a good practice run for Christmas!
I like to pay attention to whatever is being celebrated around the world and sometimes cook to whatever the holidays or celebrations are. We have had latkes many times for Hanukah even though we are not Jewish, but because Jesus was a Jew.

Irish apple cake

Being southern and country, I didn’t know any catholics growing up. And corned beef hash came in a can with potato bits. Only knew st paddys as an excuse to party as an adult. In my navy days I didn’t need much of a reason. Have to tell this, St. paddy’s weekend we docked in nyc, fleet week, a half dozen warships there. I could walk to times square from the ship. A buddy and I met 3 young ladies visiting from Ireland. We went with them to a bar at the last subway stop in the bronx. Everyone there was speaking Gaelic. I’d never really seen st paddy’s thru Irish eyes before, I did that night. Lots of drinking going on! 🤣

That week was the first time I had real corned beef. Went to some famous nyc deli whose name I don’t remember. It was great corned beef, that I remember!

I saw the ‘Good Eats’ episode on making corned beef. (alton brown’s recipe is still on the net). I thought about making my own a few times, never tried to though.

Just checked my pantry, yep… have corned beef hash in a can with potato bits. Some things never change! 😁

Last edited:
They are organizing a St Patrick pot luck here at the ..Wrinkle Ranch.. (senior housing)
I'm going to take a big slow cooker of small red potatoes swimming in butter and chives.. It has been 7-8 years since I've had a traditional full corn beef and cabbage dinner so I'm looking forward to that..

A Reuben sandwich with fries is as close as I will get to Corn beef and cabbage.
Even that will be two to three meals
==
For a fast food place, Culvers makes a good Reuben.. Kind of pricy, but good 1-2 times a year..

Funny...they show a four leaf clover as a symbol of the Trinity. As you might imagine, it is the three leaf shamrock which is the symbol of the Trinity. Always amazes me that someone will go to all the effort to make a video, and get something so basic and fundamental wrong. Did they even watch their own video???

At least they got the corned beef thing right. It's American Irish, not Irish Irish.

I figure everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day...just like everyone can celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Never turn down an excuse for a celebration.

My doctor is about 80 years old and IS 100% was in the wards during the worst days of the IRA wars in the streets.

I respect every thing about him because of the things he saw and did during that time even though he is an Agnostic and has a completely different political view than I do.

He is very learned in the history of the middle ages the wars and the historical lineage of the families that oversaw all of the battles of the times up till the day he left for this country.

The Rising of the Moon is playing can't you hear it...?

Aye!

Being southern and country, I didn’t know any catholics growing up. And corned beef hash came in a can with potato bits. Only knew st paddys as an excuse to party as an adult. In my navy days I didn’t need much of a reason. Have to tell this, St. paddy’s weekend we docked in nyc, fleet week, a half dozen warships there. I could walk to times square from the ship. A buddy and I met 3 young ladies visiting from Ireland. We went with them to a bar at the last subway stop in the bronx. Everyone there was speaking Gaelic. I’d never really seen st paddy’s thru Irish eyes before, I did that night. Lots of drinking going on! 🤣

That week was the first time I had real corned beef. Went to some famous nyc deli whose name I don’t remember. It was great corned beef, that I remember!

I saw the ‘Good Eats’ episode on making corned beef. (alton brown’s recipe is still on the net). I thought about making my own a few times, never tried to though.

Just checked my pantry, yep… have corned beef hash in a can with potato bits. Some things never change! 😁

The short video says the 4 leaf clover represents the holy trinity and rebirth.... I guess that was an important part of the combination at that time...

It has been about 10(?) years since I've had a good proper corned beef dinner.. Looking forward to it..
Weedy... Alton makes one impressive sandwich... :ghostly:

Back