Dips for fruit, veggies, and chips

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Please share your favorite dips. Homemade or doctored up pre-made. A dip I like on carrots and celery is really simple. 8oz sour cream, 1/4 of a packet of ranch dressing mix, 1/4 of an onion finely minced. Mix it all together. You can add just about anything else in too! Have made it with a shot of thousand island dressing instead of ranch mix!

You could use this as a dip, but I use it as the dressing for my grilled potato salad.

2 cups sour cream
1 tbsp dill weed
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin

For the potato salad, I cube potatoes into 1/2 blocks. Slice onions 1/2 thick. Whole celery sticks. Throw the onions and celery directly onto the grill over hot coals (or burner). For the potatoes, I put them in a veggie basket and grill for around 30 minutes. Remove all from the grill. I usually cut the onion slices into 1/4s and chop the celery into 1/4 pieces. Throw in the fridge to cool down, then mix with the dressing. Right before serving, add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.

Please share your favorite dips. Homemade or doctored up pre-made. A dip I like on carrots and celery is really simple. 8oz sour cream, 1/4 of a packet of ranch dressing mix, 1/4 of an onion finely minced. Mix it all together. You can add just about anything else in too! Have made it with a shot of thousand island dressing instead of ranch mix!
that sounds like the one I make. :D

Righty then.
Three-cheese nacho dip:
2 cups of water, brought to a boil, dissolve into it 4 pieces of American cheese, and two pieces of Oaxaca cheese, stir until totally dissolved, then add the same amount of cheddar, it has to be last or it won't melt evenly and you get slugs in your dip! Now for the fun stuff!
3 pureed jalapeno pepper, two red chili peppers, and green pepper stir it well over low heat or ideally in a double boiler and add two heaping tablespoons of minced onion and cilantro to taste. stir in a cup of milk and bring to a simmer, remove from heat. DO NOT add salt until you are ready to serve, it can cause the cheese to separate!

Cucumber dip:
Skin and puree 1 large cucumber.
1 tablespoon of minced onion.
the tops of 3 green onions chopped finely.
a tablespoon of pimentoes in the brine.
a tablespoon of mayonnaise.
puree 1-2 Jalapeno peppers, seeds, and all.
Melt 1/2 cup of cream cheese, fold in the herbs, and 1 cup of sour cream, and chill.

If you leave out the sour cream, it makes a fine spread!

"Dear God!" I call it that because that's what they all say when they taste it!
Melt 6 slices of American cheese into two cups of water.
Stir in 1 cup of browned and shredded hamburger meat.
Stir in 1 cup of shredded bacon.
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and thin down with beef broth.
Serve in a hot cup next to the salsa for tostada chips or nachos.

Last edited:
I've been making this dip for decades, but I know there are similar ones.

I pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes, your choice of flavor

Heat in microwave for a minute or two, stir, and heat for half a minute until all of the cheese is melted. You do have to keep an eye on it as it is heating, because it will bubble up and over if you are not careful. I will typically stir it a couple of times in the process of heating it up. We use this with tortilla chips. After it gets cold, and maybe overnight in the fridge, I put just a little water on the top, enough to get it wet, and heat it up again.

I've been making this dip for decades, but I know there are similar ones.

I pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes, your choice of flavor

Heat in microwave for a minute or two, stir, and heat for half a minute until all of the cheese is melted. You do have to keep an eye on it as it is heating, because it will bubble up and over if you are not careful. I will typically stir it a couple of times in the process of heating it up. We use this with tortilla chips. After it gets cold, and maybe overnight in the fridge, I put just a little water on the top, enough to get it wet, and heat it up again.
I think this was a staple of every holiday party we had in elementary school. Everyone knew what that crockpot and bags of tortilla chips meant!

Tuna taco dip.
It's a taco stuffer, but it's also a dip.
2 cans of tuna (the original recipe calls for sardines in water and clamato)
two heaping tablespoons of Jalapeno relish.
two heaping tablespoons of sweet pickle relish.
1/2 a cup of melted cream cheese.
2 heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise.
A pinch of poultry seasoning (secret ingredient!)
A pinch of finely ground black pepper.
Blend and serve under a bed of chopped-up drained tomatoes and peppers.
Garnish with shredded lettuce.
Smear it on tostadas or thin a bit for chips.

Sick punk sink dip. great for Halloween gag snacks, gag being the operative word as it looks like puke!
1 can of mixed vegetables.
2 tablespoons of minced onion.
Melt an entire Braunschweiger block in beer, fold them together, and chill.
It looks like hell, and tastes great!

Cracker crammer.
1 cup of pureed summer sausage. browned.
1 red pepper.
2 strips of bacon. crispy and crumbled.
1 can of cheese dip or 1 1/2 cups of your own.

Tostada supremo:
1/2 Lb of ground beef.
4 green onions, especially the green fronds!
4 good-sized jalapeno peppers or three tablespoons of Jalapeno relish.
Mix the vegetables with the cooked ground beef and soak overnight in lemon juice.
Serve next to the salsa, guacamole, and sour cream or just mix with the sour cream.

I've been ignoring the potato chips, let's fix that!
1/4 cup of beer.
2 packages of dry onion soup.
the tops of 2 green onions.
Stir the soup into the beer and let it soak up the goodness for a few minutes, be aware different beers change the flavor! stir it into a tub of sour cream and let sit overnight.
Substitute the onion soup for ranch dressing mix and you get ranch dip!

In theory, it's a spread, but I'm betting it would make a good dip for Grahm crackers or cookies.

1 can of drained fruit cocktail pureed.
1/4 cup of shredded cheddar.
1/4 cup of orange marmalade.
Blend and serve on a bowl of ice.

Last one, I think:
The devil's eggs.
6 boiled eggs pureed to a pulp.
2 tablespoons of sweet relish.
1 red pepper.
a pinch of black pepper.
1/2 cup of softened cream cheese.
Add mayo until you like it.

I’m trying to find dips and cold dressings that are free of dairy and mayo.
The tahini (sesame seed) butter is a good base.
Ever try Chinese mustard in red wine? I don't know the recipe, but I can guess and get close.
It tastes almost as hot as Wassabe!
1 part Chinese brown mustard.
1 part horseradish.
dill seed.
cracked black pepper.
Celery seed. (I think?) they are tiny, white, and round.
Simmer the herbs in 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar until it looks like motor oil
and slowly add a light oil like sunflower and return to heat until it mixes completely.

Here in the south, we have BBQ joints with a kind of rocket fuel vinegar, you put a handful of Chili
peppers in a whiskey bottle with a hunk of garlic, a celery stick, and a carrot, fill with vinegar and let it ferment a month and just keep it on the table and refill it with vinegar as needed.

Latest posts

Back